Hi! An intro

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone! I am Shari mommy to Xander 3 and Nicolette almost 2. Both children are diagnosed with Autism and I normally frequent the Children with developmental delays and disorder board and came across a post for this board. Both kids have speech delays and sensory issues. Xander is more low registration and requires a lot of sensory input but also has big issues with texture in foods and things. He is currently in pre-school and gets OT and speech there. Nicolette has bad sensory problems and she is beginning OT this week with her EI. We are not sure if her vision may cause some of her sensory problems, but sometimes just sitting on something that isn't my lap totally flips her out and she starts digging her nails into me and crying to get off. She won't even attempt stairs and throws a fit if I try to get her to do them. She will do doorsteps but EXTREMELY cautious and slowly, usually grasping the wall with both hands. I am hoping once she starts OT we may figure out what is causing some of these sensitivities. Or not I guess. But anyway, its nice to have someone to discuss these things with since most people don't understand why my 3 year old doesn't speak and looks at him funny when he is babbling inaudible jargon. Looking forward to getting to know you better

Shari mommy to
Alexander 4-14-07
Nicolette 6-24-08
Expecting baby #3 on 8-27-12!

May 13th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I am so sorry they are acting crazy in front of your precious son! Some people just don't get it.
Gald you came to visit though!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
I am glad you made your way here. I have a friend who's 2 sons have been diagnosed with autism. Both boys are in regular school one in grade 5 and one in grade6. She has put alot of work into helping her sons mostly the older one. Has your 3 year old been assest yet for speech delays and if so what areas do they need help in? My son was delayed in speech and has been attending therapy for more then a year now. He has come a long way from before gooing to school at 3.5 years of age. I hope we can help you here and just let me know if you need info and I'll try and help you get it. Welcome to our board

May 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! Yes, they both have speech delays. Xander really doesn't communicate much. He will sometimes respond to a question, but does not often request things on his own. He does not point. He imitates very seldom. Nicolette is actually doing pretty well and she is even putting some words together now and turning into a little copycat But she is still very behind in her speech. Xander has been in speech for a year and a half, and Nicolette for about 8 months.

Shari mommy to
Alexander 4-14-07
Nicolette 6-24-08
Expecting baby #3 on 8-27-12!

May 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
hey Shari! Great to see you over here!

May 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, my oldest Nick 5 1/2 has Autism he started talking again at 3, he's in Kindegarten in regular ED with Special Ed and speech. He was terrified of Elevators up until last year, it started at 3 months old. My youngest son and my baby daughter have to wear glasses. Now my youngest son is 14 month younger than Nick and he was talking great until Nick started back talking and he started talking like Nick, so he also gets speech twice a week.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search