Cerebral visual impairments (CVI)

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new. My name is Robin and I'm a mother of 3 kids. I got 2 girls 5 and 3 and a little boy who is o most 8 months. This discussion is dealing with my son. When he was born he had no problems, healthy 9 month pregnancy, no problems at birth and nothing runs in the family. While we were in the hos. he was born with hearing loss in his right ear. He can hear low pitch sounds but he still can't pass for the high pitch. Along with his hearing loss he's also has where his eyes turn inwards. We been going to UAB for his eyes and are currently patching his eyes to help. He has made some improvement since we started and they also tested him for usher's syndrome since he has the hearing loss. That test showed no abnormality. He is also delayed in development and has recently started rolling over. He still does not sit up or grab and play with toys. We have a lady that comes out once a month to help with his development. He also has a flat head from laying on one side and wears the helmet. His head is also not growing in size like the ped wants and its off the chat being to small. My question is that I got the report finally from the last time we went to UAB. On the paper it says Nathaniel responded to lights, but fixation was eccentric and clearly sub-normal for age. I have no clue what this is, at the appt they did not mention this to me. Also on the paper it says all clinical signs point to cerebral visual impairment (CVI), and the he wants him to have an mri done. I googled CVI and not happy with what I found. Can anyone help me out and give me any information they know on this or where to point me to. I have called UAB but am having to wait for the call back which could take some time. I'm also going to call his ped when their lunch is over to find out anything else there. Does anyone child have this and what happens if he has this. Is there any treatment for it. Can he see? I know he can see because he looks towards lights and toys when they light up and sing but I'm lost and don't know what to do anymore.
May 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
I don't have any expierce with this but we have lots of mommies here that might be able to help you. I can maybe do some research for you as well and see what I can find.

May 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I have tried but really ain't find anything that really stands out. UAB did call me about 30 minutes ago but said the person that can explain it about it out of office today and will be back tomorrow and will call me. I also called the ped and they told me to call back tomorrow and speak with the doctor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search