speech question

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD is a thumb sucker. She has not had any major issues, but the older she gets the more worried I get. (A) I think that she is tounge tied. When she sticks her tounge out it makes a "heart" shape and from my understanding that is a classic appearance. She also has a great difficult eating/chewing certain foods. Which has never been a huge deal, but we do avoid certain food we know she has a hard time with. however, its getting worse the older she gets as well. (B) she is developing an over bite. If she continues I'm sure it will end up as an open bite. Her teeth are not sticking out in the front like an open bite does, but I'm sure we're not far away from the start of it. She also has a tad bit of a cross bite. Again, I'm not a dentist but I'm very frustrated about this! (C) I've noticed that many letter sounds and combinations she used to be able to say just fine she is having a very difficult time saying them.

DD said to me, "I want to keep sucking my thumb because braces are cool. I want braces when I get bigger." Of course I've told her how much braces hurt mommy (I had to go through a lot of dental work, it wasn't fun. So did DD's uncle and told her how much uncle A's mouth hurts.).

I know we need to get an evaluation done through the school system, since she has aged out of the private programs. However, I really do not want her to get labeled as special needs or anything like that within the school system. I do *NOT* want a label on her and want to go through a private company but the ones around here stop at age three, and H is four. Her dentist will not do anything until she turns 5 because he doesn't see any major problems and most kids stop by age 5. Her doctor says she's fine. But my gut is telling me otherwise, and I just have a sense of urgency - we have to do something and its now or never. I *know* DD will not stop sucking her thumb willingly. I know exactly why she sucks her thumb and its when shes upset, tired, or has nothing to do with her hands. We've tried reward charts, we've tried a sock over her hand, we've tried a bandaid, we've tried using lotion that is used for cracked nipples (if its safe for nursing, its safe for thumb sucking!). The lotion was the only thing that somewhat helped, but I can't have her teachers do that at school and that is when she sucks it the most (she has a complete tantrum - mean, full out violet tantrum - I can't do that to her teachers).

Additionally, I'm scared of what an evaluation would say. I really want to say that I"m over reacting, but at the same time you know...I know something is going on and its better to fix something early then wait until it becomes a habit and harder to change. I went through speech therapy when I was a kid for the same reason, so I guess I should expect it since DD seems to be a mirror image in so many ways. But i really am terrified about the implications of going through the public school system and dealing with an IFSP/IEP stuff (since they do start creating one...) I don't want her to be labeled, it makes me terrified. I had a very negative experience with IEP's with my brother and do NOT want to do the same to my DD.
September 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
Sorry I am slow getting back to you on this one. I am Brigitte mom of 3. My son has a speech issue to.
Have you had the dr say anything about her tongue being tied. If not mabe mention it cause they can fix that. My nephew had it when he was a baby nd they fixed it right away.
Have you tried dipping her thum in vinigar to stop her from sucking it. Some kids don't like sour things and it can maybe help you.
I tried to get my son help through the public health system through First Words and by the time they got back to me it was to late he was to old for the program. I went the private way and found a speech therapist on my own and got him the help he needed. Lucky enough we have a good benfits plan through my husbands work. We were also suppost to get help through the school system last year but they were slow starting that process as well.

You can check around through these private offices as well and see who they can recommend to you. Is your lil one in school yet? If yes check with your school board to see if they have speech therapists on their staff.

September 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have asked her doctor about it and showed him pictures of how her tounge does the heart shape thing really bad ("bad" according to pictures online). He swears that if her tounge is in fact tied that she would have obvious issues that he would notice. Now I usually love our doctor (and dentist for that matter) but I'm really, really irked. I do believe her tounge is tied, and it probably isn't severe but still at least humor the thought since it does run in DH's family!! And DD sticking her tounge out looks just like BIL's!

Private speech (to my knowledge) wont touch a case w/ DD until she's been seen by the public school system people. It is frustrating. My only opinion seems to be to go through the pubic school. DD is 4.5 years old, not in school yet (She's at a private pre-k program - they don't have in house resources. Most of the EI people who come to the school do so for children 0-3. DD aged out of those programs. I've asked several of the private EI ppl who come to the school (since I am a teacher there) and they refer clients to the public schools when the children turn 3. So it stinks!!

On top of that, as if our sitation isn't crazy enough the public school that DD will go to will not visit at DD's preschool since they cross over the state line. I'd have to take her to the school with time off work that I don't have. I just feel defeated. Its like it'd be better to just wait until she's in public school and if her K teacher thinks she has issues go from there. In the mean time work on her thumb sucking and work indirectly at home w/ the speech stuff since it is very mild stuff going on.
October 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
never feel defeated. The system had let me down twice but I haven't given up. Joshua is finally getting someone to help with his speech at school and we still have the private therapist

November 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
JennO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am WAY late seeing this, and I am only lurking... but DD was a thumb sucker as well. She seemed to WANT to stop, but just couldn't. The habit was too strong. Her dentist did ask about if we wanted some help and gave us the BEST drops EVER. It is called Jessica Nibble No More and it is cactus extract. We called it "Pixie Drops." Put a bit on the cutical (sp) of each thumb (so they don't switch to the other to compensate). It is HARD to wash off, taking a lot of vigarous scrubbing. I tried it to make sure it was OK and it was vial stuff. It was very bitter and made your mouth water for quite a time. DD "forgot" TWICE. And never sucked her thumb again. The dentist had a reward for her if she stopped sucking her thumb. I made a rain cloud with 30 rain drops. Each day we removed a rain drop and after 30 days, she was able to go back to the dentist to get her reward. She was about 4 1/2 at the time. Her habit was so severe, I didn't think it would work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search