Sensory issues

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to faith4hope4
My son Cayden is turning 3 in December. He has been with the ECI program since birth. He did not start to walk until he was 17 and a half months old and he has always had sensory issues. We found out he had severe hearing loss at 2 and a half. He had surgery to fix the hearing loss and is now talking. He does not like to get dirty, touch strange textures, he always wants his hands covered and his feet.

I'm concerned because lately he always keeps his hands covered with gloves or socks, or anything he can find to keep them covered. He also has to have his feet covered. He will throw temper tantrums if his hands and feet are not covered. He even sleeps this way with gloves on his hands and thick adult socks on his feet. If you try to remove them he will wake up and cry until you put them back on.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what does this mean?
November 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
It definitely sounds like his sensory issues are strong with his hands and feet right now! The changing temperature may be getting to him, perhaps? Danny is hyposensitive rather than hypersensitive in most of his sensory issues, so we haven't run into this specific thing, so I'm just guessing... Good luck!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I don't know either, but I know its a common sensory issue. I would get himin OT possibly. They would know how best to andle ti

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

November 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with OT. Carrie has sensory issues. Hers are primarily auditory, but her OT said that she's seen a lot of change for the worse in all her children with this weather change. From my understanding the severity of the sensory issues cycles in regard to its severity. Hopefully this cycle is short lived.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; November 29th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
January 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My 4 year old son has sensory integration issues and has been working with an OT twice a week for a year. He also has verbal apraxia and we found out recently that he needs prism glasses and might need vision therapy - this will explain quite a bit of his behaviors.
The weather change has been hard on him too. He hates to be cold more this year than ever. He wants to leave his coat on for hours after we get home and will only wear jeans(even to bed) and his black socks with lightning McQueen on them.
Today was a milestone for us though. He has been wearing the same style of Nike sneakers for years - never would wear any other shoe. We had to order the last pair on ebay because Nike did not make them anymore... Now he is into big boy shoes and this type of walking shoe is not available in size 11! We took him to a Nike outlet today, showed him the Nike symbol on the door and he actually let us put on a pair of shox and he wore them all day. I am so glad that he finally will wear a more supportive shoe and is no longer cramped in the old shoes he had on this morning. It is funny how something like this can make mommy so happy!
Sarah
January 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Super Mommy
i know what you are kind of going thru, my 19month old is just starting to walk, isnt talking yet, but he is opposite, he refuses to wear anything on his hands or feet. So its been cold and snowy here, and ive tried to put socks and boots and gloves on him, and he will throw a fit til they are off, or he will take them off. He is happiest when he is just in his diaper, and now that is becoming a challenge.
I woke up to a naked baby 2days in a row now..he even got his pjs off.!

January 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhealthymom View Post
My 4 year old son has sensory integration issues and has been working with an OT twice a week for a year. He also has verbal apraxia and we found out recently that he needs prism glasses and might need vision therapy - this will explain quite a bit of his behaviors.
The weather change has been hard on him too. He hates to be cold more this year than ever. He wants to leave his coat on for hours after we get home and will only wear jeans(even to bed) and his black socks with lightning McQueen on them.
Today was a milestone for us though. He has been wearing the same style of Nike sneakers for years - never would wear any other shoe. We had to order the last pair on ebay because Nike did not make them anymore... Now he is into big boy shoes and this type of walking shoe is not available in size 11! We took him to a Nike outlet today, showed him the Nike symbol on the door and he actually let us put on a pair of shox and he wore them all day. I am so glad that he finally will wear a more supportive shoe and is no longer cramped in the old shoes he had on this morning. It is funny how something like this can make mommy so happy!
Sarah
thats great he let you put on the new shoes!!!!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search