New to this board!

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Veteran
Hello, my name is Marie. I've been all over these boards over the past 5 years but never here. I've been ttc for nearly 6 years, have had multiple miscarriages and finally just gave up on ttc. Then we decided to do foster care/adoption and after waiting a year and a half to become approved we finally were in September 2010. We began the search for our child and made hundreds of inquiries. The only child that truly stood out in my mind was the first positive response we received back. We were asked to come meet the child and see what we thought and if we thought we could parent a child with severe autism and sensory processing issues that is hyperactive. We fell in love, and now we're in the process of adopting him. We are currently waiting on his medical records and once we get those then we start visits! We're super excited about adding this miracle child to our family, but also scared. Not many people around us have low functioning autistic children and we know none with sensory issues. We'd love advice, feedback, and just information in general on these issues. Any inspiration, motivation and POSITIVE experiences would help us immensely..everyone always wants to point out the negatives to us!
November 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My neighbors son is severely autistic. He's thirty. As a child they were told that he'd never walk or talk. He'd being unruly and hard to manage the rest of his life. Let me tell you... they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

He is such a sweet guy! He has a job (can't drive, but the city bus picks him up). He speaks very well and even swears when he's mad. Honestly if I didn't know his diagnosis I'd never guess he's autistic. He's also hyperactive (or at least was told as a child). He's very functional now after a lot of help from his mama. She really advocated for him and got him all the help she could find. He's a really sweet guy who is a joy to be around. Good luck with your adoption. You're a brave woman to take it on.

The developmental delay board is almost completely parents of Autism if you're interested in looking there too.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
what a specila blessing this child is recieving from you rfmaily and vise versa!! You are awesome for taking such a responsibilty onto yourself! I bet he is going to be such an awesome kid

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search