Auditory Neuropathy Anyone?

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM
mticknor's Avatar Veteran
My son was diagnosed with unilateral auditory neuropathy a few days ago (he is only 6 weeks old). Apparently it is pretty rare. Just wondering if any other mommies out there has a child with this? Just wanting to know what we are likely to face in the future with his development, etc, etc. Thanks!
April 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
sorry I hav enot.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
shannonranee
I am just lurking here. My DD has Auditory Neuropathy in her left ear only. we have been seeing a speech therapist, audiologist and ent since she was 4 months old. We also have a language pathologist that comes out to the house twice a month. They were talking about putting in a cochlear implant but she passed her sound booth test so she now has to go in for another ABR. she is 13 months old and just started baby babbling last week. I was told the same thing - that it is very rare. natalie has perfect hearing in her right ear and does not respond to sounds less than 60 decibles in her left ear. Natalies Dr told us that most likely hers was caused by being premature and having Janudice (she was golden - literally - and had to go under the lights like 4 times for about 3 days each time).

We were told to start her on Sign Language early becasue we still do not yet know if she can hear well enough to talk. Even though she passed the sound booth what they dont know is if she is actually hearing the words of it she is just hearing sound in general. she has picked up a few signs - all done, milk, bye bye wave. she has done "eat" a few times. she seems to understand but agian she doesnt talk at all. she just started making P and B sounds (but does not say baba, momma, dada - not even in babbling). we weret old that even if she can hear enough to talk without the implant there is a very good chance that she will need an FM system for school when she is of that age. We notice she does have good hearing days and bad hearing days. Our ENT who specializes in Neuropathy said we might find that her hearing is better when she is warm then when she is cold (I guess that is very common) so we might fins that she hear better in the summer then in the winter or he said even in a warm bath vs goign swimming. He is not sure why body temp effects it but says that MOST of his patients report better hearing when they are warm.

What Side is your LO's Neuropathy on?

Last edited by shannonranee; May 27th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search