Hearing loss linked t ultrasounds

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quietsong

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello! My name is Erica, proud mommy to Peter born 3-25-11.

Before I got pregnant with my son I had 10 miscarriages, so with him I had 15 ultrasounds before he was born. At the hospital my son (Peter) failed the newborn hearing test 3 times. They gave up and said he would be tested again at 6 month. He is now 41/2 months and I have been noticing that he doesn't startle to sounds and rarely responds to us when we speak. He babbles just fine and it is patterned (goo goo wah wah boo etc....) not just random noises. Anyhow, I was starting to get concerned so I talked to hid pedi. After further testing they have told me that he is not deaf, but is either hard of hearing or has an auditory processing disorder. I am told that we can't know the extent of the issue until he is around 1 year.

Should I learn and teach Peter sign language in case this is a permanent issue? Anybody else's LO have a similar situation?

August 19th, 2011, 05:31 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Oh. My. Gosh. I'm going to try not to rant at you, but I am SO frustrated with your situation! I can't believe he failed his newborn screen 3 times and they just let you go home. Also, what kind of follow up testing did they do?

My recommendation to you would be to get a referral to an audiologist and get an ABR (auditory brainstem response) test done. This is where they put electrodes on the patient and can measure at what level the brain stem responds to sound. They will also do some tests to make sure the ear canal is open, the ear drum has full motion, and to see if the loss is conductive (due to issues in the ear canal) or sensorineural (due to problems with the hearing nerve).

Here's a good link for what the next steps after a failed hearing screen should be:
What Should I Do If My Baby Fails the Test? - My Baby's Hearing

This can all be done at ANY age; my son was in the NICU for 2 months, but he failed a hearing screen when he left, and we had the ABR done at 3 months. He was diagnosed with a profound hearing loss and was wearing hearing aids at 4 months. The sooner you can get your son access to sound, the sooner he can start to learn language. If it's an auditory processing problem, you'll be able to start therapy on that sooner, and if it's a hearing loss, you'll be able to start catching him up sooner. I can't understand why they would tell you to wait until he's 1!

As for sign language, I think that's never a bad idea. You can certainly start now, and if it turns out he needs to rely on it for communication, he's already on the road - if he doesn't need it for communication in the long term, it can still help him bridge the gap while you guys are working through a diagnosis and while he's learning to talk. A lot of people with babies who hear perfectly do baby sign anyway, and it doesn't hurt spoken language development at all My one watch out on this is that some baby sign books out there are NOT true ASL, they actually make up their own signs that are "easier" for babies... If Peter may have a hearing loss, I'd definitely make sure whatever resource you use is true ASL, so you don't have to unlearn and re-learn some signs.

Good luck, Erica! I really hope I didn't come off too strong or with too much information... Early diagnosis of hearing loss is really important to me, and I'm just so frustrated with your situation right now If you have ANY questions, or need help finding resources in your area, I'd be glad to help.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! We had an abundant amount of ultrasounds with each of my children but I'd never heard a link between hearing and u/s's. Carrie failed her NB hearing screening and they did nothing. They sent us away and said if she failed the 6mo one they'd be sending her out for testing. At 6 mo she passed just fine. Our pedi told us that before 6 months it was common to fail, but don't let me sound like I'm opposing quietsong, cause she's much more experienced in that world than I am.

I also really agree with her about the signing. it's a great thing to do whether he has hearing loss or not.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
October 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K'sMama View Post
Hi! We had an abundant amount of ultrasounds with each of my children but I'd never heard a link between hearing and u/s's. Carrie failed her NB hearing screening and they did nothing. They sent us away and said if she failed the 6mo one they'd be sending her out for testing. At 6 mo she passed just fine. Our pedi told us that before 6 months it was common to fail, but don't let me sound like I'm opposing quietsong, cause she's much more experienced in that world than I am.

I also really agree with her about the signing. it's a great thing to do whether he has hearing loss or not.
Your pedi is right - it is common to fail a newborn screen up through 6 months. It's just a matter of how proactive the doctors want to be about it; some feel a hearing loss should be confirmed at a very young age, and others don't feel it's important to be sure until a little older. IMO, though, it's better to request follow up testing sooner rather than later; those 6 months of waiting can make a LARGE impact on how easily a child learned speech if there IS a problem, and it's not going to hurt anything if there isn't one.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Last edited by quietsong; October 21st, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
May 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD failed all her newbornn screenings due to occulsion in her ears. She has very narrow canals and they were blocked withh fluid and some "debris".

She can hear fine now. It took a bit of time, but the issue self resolved.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search