Therapists Officially Can't Diagnose??

Forum: Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I need some clarification from you ladies with more experience with this.

Long story short: My son has a speech disorder and works with an SLP. She believes he has apraxia, but, due to her semi-unfamiliarity with it, will not say 100%. Myself and both of his therapists are also concerned with what we believe to be sensory issues that are getting drastically worse, day by day.

I found a children's therapy clinic that everyone tells me is wonderful. I emailed them about evaluating & diagnosing (if need be) my son with apraxia and sensory processing disorder. This is what I got in return.

"As therapists, we are not able to make a diagnosis. We can complete evaluations and write up an evaluation report with recommendations and suggestions for physicians to look at. The physicians are the ones who have to make the actual official diagnosis."

Is this true? Therapists are unable to diagnose? Every blog I have read on apraxia or SPD, the parent states the child was diagnosed BY an SLP or OT. Even my son's SLP, in all our talking, never once mentioned therapists could NOT diagnose. And I spoke with his special instructor today about all of this (prior to me receiving this message) and she didn't tell me therapists can't diagnose. So now I'm just confused by all of this and concerned that, if my son does have SPD and/or apraxia that possibly his doctor is unfamiliar with them (as doctors seem to be unfamiliar with a lot around here) and he may continue to be undiagnosed.

I thought this evaluation might be the answer and we might finally have some pieces to the puzzle that is our son, but now, I'm not sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search