April is Autism Awareness Month

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
In case anyone didn't already know, April is Autism Awareness Month in the U.S.

Anybody doing anything special to raise awareness or funds? Natalie, I know you did your interview with the Globe & Mail, looking forward to reading that. Anyone else?

I am making and selling "Snap Straps" to raise money for the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism. Snap Straps are something I came up with to tether my daughter's toys and pacifiers to my baby carrier so they didn't get lost when I carried her on my back. I have also used them to tether things to the stroller bar, and her car seat strap. It makes it so much easier to hand her back her toys while driving, and keeps them cleaner, they never hit the floor, or get lost or hit the sidewalk when she's in the stroller. I have been making them of ribbon and snaps, and out of the webbing stuff that lanyards are made of. I made some out of cut up autism puzzle piece lanyard - they are shorter than I've been making the ribbon ones but they work great! I use one for Gus' pacifier (yes, he's still hooked on his nuk). I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see - let me know

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes I did interview for an article and they came and took photo's of Cameron. It will be in the Globe and Mail. I don't have any other plans this year. DH is working now to help Autism Canada with their website and I will hopefully be working hand in hand with the Chair of the Board to organize a walk for autism awareness next year.

This is Autism Awareness Month and April 2nd is the first ever international Autism Awareness Day. I'm very excited and hope to be more involved in the process every year.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I would love to see pictures. Do you have a site to sell them on? My friend's son has autism. He is such a great little boy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search