girls with autism

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi I my name is Erin I have 3 kiddos and am due with #4 in June. My oldest, Mira, will be 6 in two weeks and is on the spectrum. She is labeled PDD-NOS and has a significant processing issues along with auditory sensory issues. She has been attending special classes since age 3 and we have yet to encounter another autistic girl!! I know they are out there, but I cant seem to connect with their families. I tried starting a support group locally for families with girls with autism but received zero response. Are there any moms of girls with autism here?

My daughter is considered high functioning and the school is attempting to main stream her- it's a very slow going process as she's having trouble adjusting to the chaos of a regular classroom. Currently she attends math in the mainstream room. She was doing lunch also but it was giving her panic attacks.

April 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I have 2 boys, my oldest is 32 months and was just recently diagnosed. I don't know of many girls with autism because it is more likely in boys. But there are girls with autism.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
HI! Thanks for the welcome. part of the reason I'm looking for other girls with autism is the differences I see in my daughter verses our friends with boys on the spectrum. I think that more girls will end up DX'd as they do more studies and identify the differences in the symptoms between the sexes.

for example, my daughter is almost 6 and has a high desire to be social. She can fake her way through a very short conversation now but anything of depth will quickly reveal her issues... a lot of people only think that she is a tad behind in speech from having a short conversation with her though

April 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I wanted to chime in. My daughter is 5 and has not been diagnosed with autism or any PDD, but she is exhibiting autistic-like behaviors. She has no fear, has obsessive tendencies, no imaginitive play, likes to do things that involve repitition or spinning, and has a hard time with change. She also is aggressive. She seems bothered by loud noises and cannot tolerate being touched by people other than us. We recently started the diagnostic process. My DD may have an underlying brain issue that we are going to check on in a few weeks with an MRI, and she recently had an EEG which showed she is having subclinical seizures in her sleep.

In many ways, especially to someone who doesn't spend much time with her, she seems normal. She has normal speech (although it was late to develop, she showed no expressive language at all until 24 months), and on the surface looks and acts like any other kid. But take her to the park and watch her ask a 3-year-old what their name is literally 30 times in a row, and swing on the swings for 2 hours while all the other kids are playing tag, or even worse try and take her to a different park and it's apparent that something is going on.

We will be doing a psychological evaluation after the MRI and I am interested to see what they say.

Heidi, mama to 5 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
April 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A good book on this is called "Pretending to be Normal" by Liane Holliday Willey. She's an adult with Asperger's Syndrome and she tells of how she always knew she was different and she did a lot of "pretending". She also has a dd who dx'd with Asperger's Syndrome as well. I have a book called "Asperger's and Girls" which I haven't gotten to yet. Also, anything by Temple Grandid would be good as she's one of the most prominent women with autism.

http://www.amazon.com/Pretending-Be-Normal...e/dp/1853027499

http://www.templegrandin.com/

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Quote:
A good book on this is called "Pretending to be Normal" by Liane Holliday Willey. She's an adult with Asperger's Syndrome and she tells of how she always knew she was different and she did a lot of "pretending". She also has a dd who dx'd with Asperger's Syndrome as well. I have a book called "Asperger's and Girls" which I haven't gotten to yet. Also, anything by Temple Grandid would be good as she's one of the most prominent women with autism.

http://www.amazon.com/Pretending-Be-Normal...e/dp/1853027499

http://www.templegrandin.com/[/b]

thank you for the book suggestions I'll add them to my amazon wish list

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search