Hello from WTTC Board.

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say hi to everyone here from the WTTC board!
So HELLO!
April 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! I'm also from the WTTC board and I want to thank all of you who have answered Angela's other post.

April 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Thanks for letting us have our first field trip here! I'm excited to learn more!

April 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from WTTC as well... we appreciate your time answering our questions and helping us to learn more about parenting children with autism.

April 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Welcome!! Ask any questions you may have. I'd be happy to answer them!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Hi ladies! Also from the WTTC board, but possibly joining you all here soon, We've had concerns with my son for a long while now but do to insurance and moving we haven't been able to get any real answers, just "We can't say till he's 3"...

April 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hello WTTCers! Welcome! I'm Crissy, mama to Angus (Gus, Pickle) who was diagnosed with autism in October of 2006 at age 2 ½, he is 4 years old now.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi ladies! Also from the WTTC board, but possibly joining you all here soon, We've had concerns with my son for a long while now but do to insurance and moving we haven't been able to get any real answers, just "We can't say till he's 3"...[/b]
Oh my, I wouldn't wait until he's three. A diagnosis can be made now as early as 1 but usually at age 2. The earlier you get a diagnosis the earlier you can treat it and that just means better odds of your son falling off the spectrum. You want to catch it as early as possible for the best outcome. Please consider fighting to get him an earlier diagnosis.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am surprised you guys don't have an information sticky....with weblinks of sites that would/could help out moms who are wondering if their child may have autism......what are some weblinks/support groups that are online that could help out people wanting to learn more?
April 8th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Quote:
I am surprised you guys don't have an information sticky....with weblinks of sites that would/could help out moms who are wondering if their child may have autism......what are some weblinks/support groups that are online that could help out people wanting to learn more?[/b]
Yes, we should have something. I have been meaning to put up a glossary of terms, and have had a post in draft for the longest time I'll try to get it up this week!
As for a list of links, I haven't made one of those, because 1) I figure everyone who just wants to read websites can use Google, (2) If someone wants certain questions answered or support I would like them to post, and then they can get personalized responses, and also others who are reading can benefit from the answers they get, and (3) I dislike dead links, and don't want to have to keep checking for them, or checking that the sites are still up to date or that they have unbiased factual information. Maybe I will put up a sticky with a few that I know are always kept current. Feel free to make a post asking for links though - I find that is a better way to get current site recommendations

April 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just stopping into to say hello. I have a friend who's daughter is almost 18 and she is autistic. She goes to school and a few other group classes. i'm here to learn more about Autism.

Oh i'm also from the WTTC board.
April 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello from WTTC! Thank you for letting us field trip over here..I am going to peruse around and educate myself

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
April 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello! Also popping in from the WTTC board. My cousin is autistic. He was diagnosed as mentally retarded for most of his life. He didn't get the autism diagnosis until he was 16 and moved cities. The school he transfered to recognized and tested him and its been amazing to see how he has thrived in just a few short years. I wonder how much they could have helped him had someone recognized sooner.
April 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Hello! Also popping in from the WTTC board. My cousin is autistic. He was diagnosed as mentally retarded for most of his life. He didn't get the autism diagnosis until he was 16 and moved cities. The school he transfered to recognized and tested him and its been amazing to see how he has thrived in just a few short years. I wonder how much they could have helped him had someone recognized sooner.[/b]
Aw, that makes me sad! I'm glad he has the correct diagnosis and is getting appropriate help now though.

April 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
Hello ladies! I am also from the WTTC board.

April 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Hi ladies! Also from the WTTC board, but possibly joining you all here soon, We've had concerns with my son for a long while now but do to insurance and moving we haven't been able to get any real answers, just "We can't say till he's 3"...[/b]
Oh my, I wouldn't wait until he's three. A diagnosis can be made now as early as 1 but usually at age 2. The earlier you get a diagnosis the earlier you can treat it and that just means better odds of your son falling off the spectrum. You want to catch it as early as possible for the best outcome. Please consider fighting to get him an earlier diagnosis.
[/b]

We first questioned Autism when he started having major delays, and macrocephaly of unknown causes, and I asked the doctor...she really didn't say yes or no just that they can't decided till the child is 3. Seamus hasn't been back to the doctor sense he was 15mo old due to us moving from Idaho to Nebraska and not having insurance, He should be going for his delayed 18mo appt in May, and then in September we are moving back to Idaho where we will have im put back into the Infant Toddler program he was in and Early Head Start. The ITP was going to start speech therapy with him but we moved and Nebraska said they didn't think he could be in their programs here because he caught up to kids his age, just a little behind and they didn't have room for him, and they wouldn't do speech therapy with him untill he was 3 unless he wasn't making any jabber/babbling. Its a mess and it angers me that people don't care because we don't have the money to go to different doctors and find out whats wrong with him. I did an online test one of the ladies posted on our thread in WTTC and he scored a 93 it said that he may have Mild P-something I forgot what it was.

April 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

We first questioned Autism when he started having major delays, and macrocephaly of unknown causes, and I asked the doctor...she really didn't say yes or no just that they can't decided till the child is 3. Seamus hasn't been back to the doctor sense he was 15mo old due to us moving from Idaho to Nebraska and not having insurance, He should be going for his delayed 18mo appt in May, and then in September we are moving back to Idaho where we will have im put back into the Infant Toddler program he was in and Early Head Start. The ITP was going to start speech therapy with him but we moved and Nebraska said they didn't think he could be in their programs here because he caught up to kids his age, just a little behind and they didn't have room for him, and they wouldn't do speech therapy with him untill he was 3 unless he wasn't making any jabber/babbling. Its a mess and it angers me that people don't care because we don't have the money to go to different doctors and find out whats wrong with him. I did an online test one of the ladies posted on our thread in WTTC and he scored a 93 it said that he may have Mild P-something I forgot what it was.
[/b]
Maybe mild PPD-NOS. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having getting him services

April 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I am from WTTC too, thanks for answering our questions. I actually work as a teacher's aide at a school for autistic children. We're actually the only school in the county that has a program for 2-4 year olds. I work with kids ages 5-8. I have been working where I do for 4 years and LOVE it. I can't imagine working with a different population of kids, and plan on working with autistic children as a career in some form or another. I have definitely seen how early intervention can help children with autistim and autism spectrum disorders. We have one child who, at 2, could not talk, and when early intervention from the school came, all he did was either sit in a corner or run around the house, touching one area over and over. His mother could not take him out of the house because he had so much anxiety. After receiving early intervention, at 6, he is now talking, doing math, reading, writing, socializing, I mean, it is AMAZING how the techniques like ABA, VB, OT, PT, Speech, and other services can REALLY improve the life of kids with ASD. I said it somewhere else, I can't really put into words how I feel about autistic children, but I just love working with them everyday.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
April 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
KatiInCT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here from WTTC just looking around for now, but if I have any questions I will be sure to let you know!

Thanks for sharing all your stories and experience with us!

Osric O'Dell M...... December 10, 2009: 7lbs 14.2 oz, 21 inches
(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
April 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
aBookasmommy
Hi ladies thanks for letting us pop in with questions and helping us learn!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search