Constipation

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Does anyone elses child have a problem with this? Latley Jay has had a
hard time pooping. He used to go sometimes 5 times a day and they were
a little on the loose side. Lately when he does go its a small amount.
I find when he is constipated he gets NASTY! Its like Dr Jeklyl and Mr
hyde. Yesterday he was so good. Barely got agressive with his little
brother but today is a whole different story. He was biting pinching
and hitting me. He keeps pulling his brothers hair. His belly is
almost always descending and hard. We do not see the gastro till July.
Dh is taking Jonathan to the drs because he is sick and I think I am
going to have him ask the dr what we can do for the time being about
Jay's constipation. I am thinking that maybe he is having a hard time
digesting something. I have been thinking about taking dairy out of
his diet.
April 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had to deal with that. What about trying to get him to drink more water or pedialite? That sometimes helps a lot. Cameron's a once a day kind of boy so I always know when he's not right.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
does he eat gluten?? I had similar problems myself and with my 4 yr old until we went gluten free. I can always tell when my 4 yr old has snuck gluten because her behavior goes haywire. Lots of hitting, pushing and a total inability to focus

April 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dd used to be very constipated and would go day between bm's. It hurt to go, so she held it. The longer she held it, the more it hurt...endless cycle for a while. We did a lot of dietary changes and really pushed the liquids, veggies, and fruits. Ended up having to do enemas on and off...hated that...we both cried What eventually worked for us was that we put her on a schedule to sit on the potty. But, she was much older than Jay so I don't know as that would work for you guys at this point. I would stick to working his diet and see what the gastro. dr. has to say. Hope its something that doesn't become an issue for you guys.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
pautumnsun's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes ds has been having trouble with constipation as of late. What I have done to help ease it is wheat germ, fruits and vegtables. With Aidan it basically is apples with the skin. I also have been giving him popcorn. I increased his water intake and lowered his milk intake. I also have used vasiline to make it easier for him to go. He hasn't been constipated for a week which is great.
April 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
We have always had the opposite problem here! The boy drinks only apple juice (2 parts water, 1 part juice) and refuses all else. So he has loose bowel movements. Maybe increasing Jay's fluid and fruit intake if you can will help. Also yogurt aids in digestion and regularity. My kids eat plenty of yogurt.
What does Jay's diet look like?
Here is Gus's and he has no trouble going - in fact a little solidification would be a good thing - Gus eats peanut butter sandwiches on wheat, Life cereal or Cheerios w/ milk, pepperoni pizza, breaded chicken nuggets, yogurt, hmmm, that's about it. The occasional Oreo. Looking at Gus' diet I would say it is the juice/water and yogurt keeping him regular. Maybe those would help Jay.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 8th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jay eats eggs, waffles,oatmeal, about any kind of cold cereal, pizza, PB sandwiches, fries, ramen noodles, pudding,yogurt,applesauce bananas, pretzels and raisins

He does drink juice. I put a little juice in the bottom of the cup and the rest is water. He does drink alot actually.
April 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1/2 cap of Miralax----its awesome! My ds goes beyond constipation---he gets impacted and vomits. Miralax---our new best friend!

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!
April 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
1/2 cap of Miralax----its awesome! My ds goes beyond constipation---he gets impacted and vomits. Miralax---our new best friend![/b]

Poor boy. I had impacted bowels when I was pregnant with Jonathan. It is one of the most horrid things I have gone through. I never vomited but it made me feel sick.
April 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
How is Jay feeling today?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He is not feeling well. He has a bad cough and runny nose.
April 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definately agree with the miralax. my dd has been using it on and off for 2 years. Also, I know Jay doesn't eat much but applesauce can cause constipation so you may want to consider removing that for the time being. Also, I had the tasteless, dissolvable fiber (benefiber is what we use) to most of Alexis soft foods (I mix it in her yogurt, pudding, applesauce) to increase the fiber intake. Also, definately push the fluids. Increasing the fluids will help. Also, one of the mom's on another thread mentions lactulose (never tried it, but am definately thinking about it). I have included the post for you to check out if you want.

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=991276

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search