I need some ideas on how to give medicine*update 4/15*

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok well I put Jay's antibiotics on his juice and that did not fly. I kept trying to fool him. The antibiotics he is on is NASTY tasting. I have no idea how I am going to get into him tommorow. Trying to give via spoon or syringe is next impossible. Anyone else have this problem.
April 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cameron will fight tooth and nail and always tries to turn his head and body and kick and everything. I finally just started to pin his arms down with my legs (almost sitting on top of him if that makes sense, without squishing or hurting him of course) and then with one arm I hold his head and with the other I empty the syringe. After 2-3 times he gets the hint and doesn't fight.

Now you may think that sounds cruel but it works. And I think it's more cruel to leave my child sick if there's no other way to give the meds.

When a medicine tastes that nasty it'll change the taste of any food or drink you try to mix it with and your child will automatically dismiss it. So I don't think that works unless it's a flavored med. But I do find it funny that your doctor didn't prescribe a flavored med knowing that he's autistic and has aggression and eating issues?

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure if the ped knew. This is the first time Jay has been at the doctors since he was dx. Though I think it would be in his chart since I am sure the Physch faxed over the report. I pin Jay down to give meds to and it does not always work. I am going to make dh give him the antibiotics. Jay does a little better for him. If I keep having the problem I am going to call the ped.
April 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I would def make a call to the ped to see if a flavored option is available. It's too bad you weren't able to take him to the doctors. It seems like so much was missed. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time hun. I sure wish your DH was more involved int he kids mental and physical health instead of just being a dad. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh and I don't mean to insult you, it just sounds that way from most of your posts. It's hard enough going through this all as a team, but to do it alone fighting tooth and nail with dh on how to deal with situations must be so difficult. You are a very strong and loving mom and I can learn so much from you as a mother.

April 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I used to have to medicate Gus pretty forcefully as well. I used to work for an animal shelter and I applied the way we used to medicate the cats to Angus - I got the medicine all ready, then wrapped him very tightly in a blanket with his arms at his sides so he could not hit me or push it away. Then I got him on my lap in a cradle-hold with my left arm, and with that hand held his head by the jaw so he couldn't turn away, and with my right hand put the syringe into the back of his cheek and give him the medicine while holding his head at an angle so that he could not spit it back out. I pretty much mastered it by the time he was 2 ½ because I had to give him allergy medicine ever day, and now I don't even need to, he knows there is no point in fighting and just takes it.
Like Natalie said, it is more cruel to not give him the medicine his body needs, any way I can get it in him. Doctors have to do things all the time that hurt people but make them better - reset dislocated joints and bones, give needles and syitches, I look at forcing him to take the medicine the same way. I agree with Natalie about not putting it in anything too - just get it over with as quick as possible, and let him have something good afterwards.
Good luck!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks so much crissy
April 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would def make a call to the ped to see if a flavored option is available. It's too bad you weren't able to take him to the doctors. It seems like so much was missed. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time hun. I sure wish your DH was more involved int he kids mental and physical health instead of just being a dad. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh and I don't mean to insult you, it just sounds that way from most of your posts. It's hard enough going through this all as a team, but to do it alone fighting tooth and nail with dh on how to deal with situations must be so difficult. You are a very strong and loving mom and I can learn so much from you as a mother.[/b]

Thank you and its not a insult. Dh is very bull headed and he always thinks his way is the right way. When he makes comments I just ignore him. I am the one reading up on Autism. I am the one talking to other parents of Autistic children. I am the one that sits and get ideas from Jay's teacher and OT. I just keep telling myself that I am the one with Jay 80% of the time. Its hard because I wish we were on the same page, but sitting around till we agree on things I will be waiting forever.

Quote:
I used to have to medicate Gus pretty forcefully as well. I used to work for an animal shelter and I applied the way we used to medicate the cats to Angus - I got the medicine all ready, then wrapped him very tightly in a blanket with his arms at his sides so he could not hit me or push it away. Then I got him on my lap in a cradle-hold with my left arm, and with that hand held his head by the jaw so he couldn't turn away, and with my right hand put the syringe into the back of his cheek and give him the medicine while holding his head at an angle so that he could not spit it back out. I pretty much mastered it by the time he was 2 ½ because I had to give him allergy medicine ever day, and now I don't even need to, he knows there is no point in fighting and just takes it.
Like Natalie said, it is more cruel to not give him the medicine his body needs, any way I can get it in him. Doctors have to do things all the time that hurt people but make them better - reset dislocated joints and bones, give needles and syitches, I look at forcing him to take the medicine the same way. I agree with Natalie about not putting it in anything too - just get it over with as quick as possible, and let him have something good afterwards.
Good luck![/b]
I gave it a try. It prevented him from pushing me away or the syringe. What angle did you put Gus's head. I tried tilting Jay's head back but he still managed to spit most of the medicine out. I think tommorow I am going to have dh help me. If I am still having the problems I am going to call his ped and see if they call in a different medication.
April 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
If you get your medicine from someplace like Walgreens they offer medication flavoring for any liquid medicine at $2.99 a prescription. Supposedly it hides both the taste and smell. I think the website is flavorx.com

My DD is generally impossible to get medicine into. No matter what the taste, smell, what it's mixed into, she has a fit about it. She is too big and strong to hold down and force (76 pounds of muscle at age 5). She had to take some medication a few months ago and we got it in (small) pill form and I rolled out a little bit of Starburst candy and wrapped the pill while she watched. Then I taught her how to swallow the wrapped pill - since it had candy on the outside it did not taste or smell bad while on her tongue. It took over an hour the first time with gentle persistence but she finally got it down. She was allowed a special mini-can of Sprite at pill time which helped too. Eventually she was able to swallow them, still Starburst-wrapped, in one or two tries. Of course this is for older kids but I thought I'd add the tip here for anyone else reading.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
April 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I had to force Abby when she was little too and I always felt like such a jerk. She had to take seizure meds. but most of those were easily mixed with bm or formula in syringe. If she needed antibiotics, it was much harder and I had to sit with her in my lap on the floor. I crossed my legs over hers to keep her legs still and then I would put my left arm around her chest, pinning her arms down(she has partial paralysis in her left arm/hand so that made it a bit easier to keep her still). I usually had to wait a few minutes because she would be very combative and when she would slow down a bit, I would hold her head with my left hand and tilt it back a little and use the syringe with my right hand. Sometimes she would get it all and other times she would not...depends on how much fighting she did. She did get better about the meds as she got older but it took a while though.

I agree on giving the ped. a call and see if they have any other alternatives for meds. I hope he's better soon.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
pautumnsun's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with giving the ped a call. Aidan is horrible at taking meds even when I restrain him. It is impossible!! Last time he needed antibiotics he received it through IV. I felt horrible but the nurse who administered it was great. Aidan did not cry.
April 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well we are all done with the meds. Jay did fine with the predisone today but the antibiotics were more of a fight. He is doing better. He is not so snotty nosed and he is barley coughing.
April 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Oh hun I'm so happy he is feeling better. Thank goodness. Hopefully he calms down a bit now that he's off the meds. Poor guy. I know it's been hard for you, and it must also be so hard for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search