What does your DC do for stimming

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Jay likes to spin in circles. He will do it so much sometimes you want to get sick just watching him. I got a video of him doing it. I was recording him dancing then he went into spinning. Jay also likes to spin the wheels on his cars. He does hand flapping and some hand Gestures. He also has a thing with twirling other peoples hair. While on the steriods I noticing him doing it even more. Almost like he has OCD. He also likes to open and shut doors. If I open a door he is right behind me to close it.
April 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Gus had a thing about opening and closing doors when he was Jay's age! Not so much anymore but he does have to close the door behind himself, it's a pain if we go somewhere that has slow-closing doors, or a stream of people coming in behind us, he gets mad if someone opens the door again before it has completely closed
Since he was a toddler he has beat his arms at his sides and chest, like a little gorilla. Usually while running on the spot. He does this for sure when he is excited, but sometimes for no reason we can see.
He also has this mannerism we call his "evil genius" move. He sort of squeezes and wrings has hands together, very forcefully. And you can tell he's clenching his jaw at the same time - sometimes he grimaces.
Another is just jogging up and down the room or the hall in a straight line, back and forth, over and over. Often accompanied by him saying "aaaah" the whole time, sometimes quietly.
He used to line up and stack his toys. We redirected that behavior to making train tracks and playing legos. He can stll line up and stack that way He does love to make bricks and towers of lego.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
my son is the same way with spinning in circles and the door thing too! Every door in my house is always closed, its getting warmer and driving me nuts now, cause i'd like some air to flow through the house at least

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

April 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abby used to either run or walk in circles. It was usually when music was playing(mostly Barney) so for a long time, I thought she was dancing. She also liked to swing a lot and even now, if we go to the park, she'll swing for a long time. She also used to jump up and down when she was angry. For the most part now, she doesn't go anywhere without her cd player and extra batteries.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Oh, I just remembered, Gus LOVES to watch water coming out of the faucet, he is mesmerized by it, or from a fountain too. He will turn the tap on and off. He will turn it on and just stare at it. He gets mad if I turn it off , he wants to do it himself, and when he is ready. Tooth brushing time used to be an ordeal until I made up a song and now he willingly shuts the faucet off when he is supposed to.

Chorus:
We brush our teeth, brusha brusha, brusha brusha
We brush our teeth, brusha brusha, brusha brusha

We turn the water on, we get a little taste (this is where we wet his brush)
We turn the water off, so it doesn't go to waste (with this line he will usually turn it off willingly)

chorus

We brush em on the left, we brush em on the right
We brush the top and bottom so our smile is outta sight

chorus

We brush em up and down, we brush em left and right
We brush our teeth all over and we do it day and night

chorus

We rinse our brush with water, but just a little bit
Next, we rinse our mouth out, and now it's time to spit

Final chorus:
We brushed our teeth, brusha brusha, brusha brusha
We brushed our teeth, brusha brusha, brusha brusha

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oh I will have to try that. Brushing teeth is a really big ordeal here with him. He goes to dentist in June. I am so not looking forward to that.

How could I forget about opening and closing doors. Jay is always behind to close doors.
April 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cameron does something we call tai chi. He moves objects slowly across his face and watches them from the side of his eyes (sorta looking away but can still see it). He also pulls our ears. He does it so hard sometimes that it feels like he will pull them right off! He loves to watch water or sand fall too!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Now that my son is older and realised that stimming at school and out in public will draw unwanted attention to him he waits till he gets home then goes to his room and stims. We call it imaginations, he gets a figurine (currently it is a wolverine figurine) but he also has a Star Wars diecast plane that fits comfortably in his hand that he uses too. It's hard to describe but basically he stands in his room and he holds the figurine in one outstretched arm, his other arm is oustretched the other way and very stiffly he jerks his hands towards each other while making sort of shooting noises. I've asked him why he does it and what he sees and he says he just has to do it and it's better than a movie. He's 12 in a few weeks.

He struggles when he has sleepovers at other people homes because sometimes he just has to escape to the bathroom (the only room with privacy for 5 mins) and stim using whatever he can find in there (toothpaste tube etc). School camp was very hard for him, it was 5 nights with NO privacy at all so he couldn't stim at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search