So, here we are..

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Hi! I'm Melissa, wife to Brandon and mommy to Clay and Carson. Clay is 4 (1.3.04) and Carson is 22 months (6.4.06) Carson has been "diagnosed" w/autism. I say "diagnosed" due to his age. When we went in January, his ped. said ' I'm saying it's autism,but can't yet officially due to his age.' He has, however, been diagnosed w/SID as well. SID is sensry integreation disorder.
Carson is now in the " forgetting" everything stage of the game.. the milestones he had finally completed, ie: clapping his hands.. he is now not doing.. We have days where he doesn't speak at all, then some day's he'll say mama or daddy. He currently 'knows' about 5 words, but, he certainly doesn't use them daily or anything.. He did everything late, as far as rolling over,scooting,crawling, walking, etc.. We always say that Carson's first 11 months of life was nothing but crying.. When he reached 11 months.. he just kinda got quiet.. I could 'explain' Carson all day, long,but, for once in my life, I feel this is the place where that is not neccisary..
I'm looking foward to getting to know you ladies more as we continue our journey to a 'paper' diagnoses for Carson.. and then as we start our lifetime journey w/our special man
Here's a pic of my bubba from Friday nite
April 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! He is absolutely adorable!

I hope you never ever the feel the need to defend or "explain" yourself here. We are all in the same boat and we're here to help in any way we can. Our host just added a new glossary and it has tons of info to help you figure out what we're talking about in here I know I have to check it often.

My son Cameron was just diagnosed in February and he's already doing great. So you're son has wonderful odds at recovering from autism. And we're here to share the journey with you.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hi, and welcome Carson is super cute!
I knew I left something off the Glossary - I put something about sensory integration therapy but I lift off SID, and the term "sensory issues" as many of us use that. I'll add that today.
In fact, I could add an entire post about sensory issues, that's a biggie with ASD kids.
Nice to meet you Melissa I'm Crissy, mama to Angus, 4 years old, diagnosed with autism at 2˝.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
ty ladies
April 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
His and welcome. My name is Christina. I have two boys. Jay is my ASD child and he will be 3 and June and Jonathan is 17 months old.

What did your ped to determine that your son has Autism. I never heard of a regular ped doing that. Its usually a developmental ped or Physcholgist. I know when we got him DX we had to fill out ALOT of paperwork prior to getting a appt. I think its BS that your son is to young to be DX with autism. No disrespect to your sons ped but I have know people who had DX for there child as early as 18 months.

Have you called early intervention yet to get a evaluation for your son yet. If not I would.
April 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
We went in and said 'look, this is what he's doing/not doing' what's the deal? It was a 2hr long appointment and our ped. has an autistic niece, so,he is familiar w/autistic children, and has been a ped for over 26 years and dx'd numerous children...
We absolutely are headed for more evals and such so that we CAN get that DX that we need to futher Carson's well-being.. That is, after all, the only thing that matters.. his well being...
April 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! My Zack is 4 and we suspect that he has Asperger's Syndrome. I say suspect because we don't have an official dx yet, but there is really no question in our minds. We were just recently approved for a full eval, and his first eval appt is next month (YAY!). We're hoping to get a year of therapy in before he starts kindergarten.

That's great that you & your pedi were able to spot the signs early on. I hope you can get a full workup and diagnosis ASAP.

April 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We went in and said 'look, this is what he's doing/not doing' what's the deal? It was a 2hr long appointment and our ped. has an autistic niece, so,he is familiar w/autistic children, and has been a ped for over 26 years and dx'd numerous children...
We absolutely are headed for more evals and such so that we CAN get that DX that we need to futher Carson's well-being.. That is, after all, the only thing that matters.. his well being...[/b]
Well that is refreshing that your sons ped knows alot about Autism. It seems like alot of regular pes do not. I still can understand why he says he can dx your ds because of his age. Once you get that DX on paper alot of doors will open and the earlier you catch it the better. Good luck to you!

I forgot to add that Carson is such a cutie!!
April 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Melissa, I added info about SPD/SID to our Glossary, let me know if there's something you think I should also add or change

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
TY so much! Fixin' to post about his hearing eval today!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search