Play dates / groups

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Do you entertain or take your ASD child to play dates or play groups? If yes, how do they behave there? How about classes or Mommy and Me type things?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take Cameron to a play group 5 days a week. We go to a free program at our Ontario Early Years Center called "parent drop-in". Basically the center is organized in different play areas (library, sensory, puzzles, crafts, gym play). He can run and play with the other kids or find a quieter place to get away from it all.

In the beginning he didn't do well at all. If there were too many kids he would ball up on the ground and cry. It was all too much for him. But now that he's familiar with it and some of the other kids he's ok with it. He can now share toys and even say "NO" when someone tries to take his toy That's a huge accomplishment for us. In 2 months he's a completely different child. At the drop in I am still responsible for him and I am the one who helps him learn to interact with the other moms and kids.

On Wednesdays he is currently enrolled in a program with the early years center called "networking". With this program Cameron goes to a somewhat structured setting without me. They do open play in a large gym and then they have snack and story time. While he is with his group, I am in the kitchen participating in workshops with the moms. So far it has gone really well.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
We have playdates twice a week w/my cousin's son. He's 3 wks older than Clay,so,they're four.. We always go to either the mall play ground or a park so they can all interact w/other children..
At this point.. Carson plays by himself.. and, I noticed the weirdest thing today.. at home, if my cousin's son is here... he will play w/him a 'lil bit.. when we are at the mall, or at the park, he completely stays to himself, and acts as if he doesn't know him at all..
April 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No I have not done anything like that yet. I do not have a car right now. Once I do I want to look into it.

Quote:
We have playdates twice a week w/my cousin's son. He's 3 wks older than Clay,so,they're four.. We always go to either the mall play ground or a park so they can all interact w/other children..
At this point.. Carson plays by himself.. and, I noticed the weirdest thing today.. at home, if my cousin's son is here... he will play w/him a 'lil bit.. when we are at the mall, or at the park, he completely stays to himself, and acts as if he doesn't know him at all..[/b]

It could because when he is out in public places he is out of his element. Last week when Jay's OT was here we did the session outside. Jay would not interact and he walked the perimeters of the fence. Kind of like he was pacing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search