Bad day at

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This morning Cameron was having meltdown after meltdown and I knew this was not going to be a good day. Well we went anyway, hoping he would calm down a bit once we got there. Well to get him into the building he kept going limp and refusing to walk (I also have to carry my 4 month old and Cameron is 38lbs). It's not easy to fight with Cameron while I'm carrying Tyler and I can't just leave Cameron screaming in the middle of the parking lot Well I eventually get him into the building and he refuses to go near the gym. But the gym is his most favorite place! If he would just let me show him he would happy as pie. So after 2 more meltdowns (so embarrassing) I finally pick him up, still holding the baby, and bring him to the gym door. Well then mr. cranky pants sees all the toys and is happy! So I tell the group coordinator that I think I should just take him home. I'm not yet comfortable with others handling his outbursts. So she says "look he's doing great now, let's leave him and we'll see how he does". So I did. And he did great. One tiny little outburst and they handled it great. To leave was a different story though Again in the parking lot he went limp (of course while everyone is trying to leave *sigh*). So one of the other moms asks if I need help and I say yes thank you. But I'm so upset that I had to ask for help. I'm the mom and I should be able to handle it. But I was just done KWIM? I still have Tyler in my arms and I was running out of arms. So now I'm having a bad day because I feel like I failed him today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Oh boy, have I been there! You need some (((HUGS)))!

I remember once Gus was freaking out when we had to pick up Mia from her preschool, alternately fighting me and then going limp like you described - he would not cooperate and was screaming the whole time. No one offered to help although we got a few looks. Finally he got away from me and was running for the street. Oh did I mention I had baby Sydney in my arms? It was a split second decision - I had to put her down on the ground and run for him - he was about to run obliviously right into traffic. I managed to haul him kicking and fighting under one arm and her under the other - not very gently but I got them both to the safety of the van. Right after that incident I purchased a back carrier for Syd - this one, called a Beco Butterfly - now before I even unbuckle Gus I pop her into that and I have my hands free to manage him. Often I can't even manage a stroller if Gus is being hard to handle. I LOVE my Beco carrier, it's a lifesaver - literally! A similar carrier is available, called an Ergo, but I prefer my lighter weight pretty Beco

Sorry to hijack your thread just wanted to share what has helped me in a similar situation

Oh and you are so not a failure in any way. I have felt that way too, I understand. Our kids are exceptional kids with different needs and we do the best we can - give yourself a break, you rock mama!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Oh I coulda wrote this post myself!
Yes.. we too, have been there!!!! You are by no means a failure of a mother! Just a mother w/a child w/special needs.. period! If ppl wanna look, let them ::: needs to practice what I'm preachin'!::: I still have a problem w/that too... But, our children should be,will be, and CAN be able to enjoy an outing to a play group, a dinner out with the family (this is our big issue rihgt now) etc w/o ppl's stares bothering us mommas! Just going to take some time and practice!! to you guys!! Add us to the 'we've been there list!'
April 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You are not a failure! We all have off days.

That Becco butterfly looks comfy. I would love to have something like that for Jonathan.
April 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh...I know exactly what you mean by being "done". And please try not to feel too guilty about needing help from someone else. I'm sure the other mom felt good to be able to help you out. Its not only physically exhausting to try to deal with a baby and a toddler/child who is having a bad day w/ meltdowns, its emotionally exhausting as well. I hope you guys were able to rest up a bit when you got home.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh boy, have I been there! You need some (((HUGS)))!

I remember once Gus was freaking out when we had to pick up Mia from her preschool, alternately fighting me and then going limp like you described - he would not cooperate and was screaming the whole time. No one offered to help although we got a few looks. Finally he got away from me and was running for the street. Oh did I mention I had baby Sydney in my arms? It was a split second decision - I had to put her down on the ground and run for him - he was about to run obliviously right into traffic. I managed to haul him kicking and fighting under one arm and her under the other - not very gently but I got them both to the safety of the van. Right after that incident I purchased a back carrier for Syd - this one, called a Beco Butterfly - now before I even unbuckle Gus I pop her into that and I have my hands free to manage him. Often I can't even manage a stroller if Gus is being hard to handle. I LOVE my Beco carrier, it's a lifesaver - literally! A similar carrier is available, called an Ergo, but I prefer my lighter weight pretty Beco

Sorry to hijack your thread just wanted to share what has helped me in a similar situation

Oh and you are so not a failure in any way. I have felt that way too, I understand. Our kids are exceptional kids with different needs and we do the best we can - give yourself a break, you rock mama![/b]
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a baby wrap and it's been my life savor. But I didn't put him in it just to walk to the car. I should have an now I know better. But even then it's not always safe. Because if I pick up Cameron during a tantrum, his arms and legs go and he could still hurt him. But it's better than nothing.

Thanks for all the comments. He was like that up until bed time last night. It was a difficult day. But today if a much better day! He's in a better mood and he's doing great.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search