Dentist appointment

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Pickle saw the dentist yesterday morning. He was sooooo good. He goes to a pediatric dentist. Autism is on his chart so they are patient with him there and allow for a longer appointment. They did a cleaning and a fluoride treatment. He was just so stoic through it all and then when the dentist said I could pick him up and, quote, "give him some love" he just melted into my arms and started sobbing. Poor guy He spent the rest of the morning curled up on me, and wouldn't even eat - I guess he was all weirded out about his mouth. He went to school as usual but his teacher said he wasn't himself and then after school he took a 2 hour nap on the couch. He hasn't eaten anything solid since. It seems like he doesn't want to use his teeth. Gus has always had major oral issues, with texture and chewing, and just brushing his teeth used to be an ordeal. So I'm sure going to the dentist really bothered him. Hopefully he start to eat normally (for him) soon.
Oh, the dentist said we are doing a great job with his teeth - no cavities! But he sees a lot of orthodenture in our future - we knew this as Gus jaw is very small and his teeth big - he will need teeth pulled when his adult teeth start coming in.

What are your experiences with your ASD child and dental appointments?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor Gus I'm glad the appointment went smoothly, but I'm sorry he's having such a bad reaction from it. Hopefully he'll feel better about it all soon.

Cameron hasn't seen a dentist yet. They say to start between 3 and 4 so he's not old enough yet.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Poor Gus ! We are taking Jay to the dentist in June. I am not looking forward to that because he has oral issues. When I brush his teeth he flips out. He needs to go because his teeth are weird. Probaly from sucking his thumb.
April 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Poor Gus I'm glad the appointment went smoothly, but I'm sorry he's having such a bad reaction from it. Hopefully he'll feel better about it all soon.[/b]
Well, he ate some pancakes, and french fries and ketchup today, so I guess he's over it
Quote:
Cameron hasn't seen a dentist yet. They say to start between 3 and 4 so he's not old enough yet.[/b]
Is that a Canadian dental thing? I don't know how different plans work because we have military dental. They authorize bi-annual checkups from age 1. Sydney only had 2 front teeth not even all the way in at age 1 but now at 18 mos she has 8 so she has her first appointment on Tuesday! I wonder if she will bite the dentist She bites me when I try to feel her teeth (she has 2 coming through). It's a pediatric dentist so i guess he'd be used to that. The office is so cute - the waiting room is half for older kids, with several arcade games that they don't need quarters to play, and the other half is a huge playhouse with a slide and tunnel, and coloring stuff - the kids love going there!

April 27th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Poor Gus ! We are taking Jay to the dentist in June. I am not looking forward to that because he has oral issues. When I brush his teeth he flips out. He needs to go because his teeth are weird. Probaly from sucking his thumb.[/b]
Gus is hooked on his pacifier and I asked the dentist if I should be taking it away from him and he said no need to rush yet, since it gives him comfort, whew. He said at least it is something we can take away, not his thumb. Does Jay suck his thumb a lot? I guess at his age he is not going to start taking a pacifier instead. Are you going to try to get him to stop or just let him as long as he wants? I really don't want to tkae Gus' pacifier away, it really calms him. He asks for it when he is upset and I like that I can give him something that comforts him, anytime anyplace, it's very portable, and easily replaced - but I am glad I can take it away if need be. I remember my mom painting my brothers thumb with nasty tasting stuff, and making him wear gloves to bed - I don't remember if it worked though! I don't see him sucking his thumb now, but then, I don't see him sleeping either, so who knows
I hope Jay's dentist is as nice and gentle as Gus's. Nobody likes going to the dentist but it is much harder for these little ones with oral issues

April 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Poor Gus ! We are taking Jay to the dentist in June. I am not looking forward to that because he has oral issues. When I brush his teeth he flips out. He needs to go because his teeth are weird. Probaly from sucking his thumb.[/b]
Gus is hooked on his pacifier and I asked the dentist if I should be taking it away from him and he said no need to rush yet, since it gives him comfort, whew. He said at least it is something we can take away, not his thumb. Does Jay suck his thumb a lot? I guess at his age he is not going to start taking a pacifier instead. Are you going to try to get him to stop or just let him as long as he wants? I really don't want to tkae Gus' pacifier away, it really calms him. He asks for it when he is upset and I like that I can give him something that comforts him, anytime anyplace, it's very portable, and easily replaced - but I am glad I can take it away if need be. I remember my mom painting my brothers thumb with nasty tasting stuff, and making him wear gloves to bed - I don't remember if it worked though! I don't see him sucking his thumb now, but then, I don't see him sleeping either, so who knows
I hope Jay's dentist is as nice and gentle as Gus's. Nobody likes going to the dentist but it is much harder for these little ones with oral issues
[/b]
Yeah Jay sucks his thumb alot. I am not sure what I am going to do. As of now I am just going to let him suck it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search