Just popping in...

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Tofu Bacon
Ds had his initial interview with the special education director this past Monday (I blogged it if you want a recap). His baseline evaluation is on 5/20 and his autism diagnostic evalutation is on 5/21...so we should have some answers soon!
May 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All good news. Hopefully you'll have some answers soon. If he is diagnosed it will make things so much easier. Please come back and let us know.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
May 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Tofu Bacon
On thing that bothered me was when the school that will do the evaluations called to make the appointment the other day...the woman made it a point to mention (several times) that just because he is being evaluated doesn't mean he will be diagnosed, and they evaluated 2 children that week who didn't get diagnosed . This is without ever meeting him, so I'm wondering why she kept saying that; it felt like she was already setting us up for "failure". Maybe I just took it the wrong way...
May 2nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe the other parents were upste about not getting the diagnoses and she doesn't want to get yelled at by someone new. I think she's just preparing you "just in case". You never know right? (well I think parents know, but it may be something else that is closely related to autism?). I don't know, but I think she was just preparing for the off chance you don't get a diagnoses.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
May 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would probably let the school do the evals but also get on the list somewhere else for an independent eval. In the past, I've found that the independed evals are much more in depth than anything the school had to offer. We did get a good psychological eval through the school when dd was 13 but still went with a more in depth neuropsychological exam anyway. It can be a lengthy wait but we found it well worth it in the end. I think the wait was about 6 to 8 months for dd's first eval when she was around 8 or 9. Hopefully the school eval will be thorough though. Good luck on the 20th and 21st.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would go get a evaluation out of the school district. Thats what we did. There is a bit of a wait. I think it was 3 months for us but they were very through.
May 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With the school districts, I have found its hit or miss about the in depth evals. I definately agree with tammyjh. Get on the list for an independent neuropysch evaluation. The last eval we had done on my dd (she was almost 5) the district pyschologist completely blew off. He spent less than 15 minutes with her. Also, its always good to have that second opinion that has no real interst in the outcome, whether or not your ds gets a diagnosis. OUr psychologist did not want to have to deal with our dd in the school district (she has a very unique set of special needs that most special ed teachers haven't had to deal with regularly) so he blew the eval off so she would score low and they could ship her out of the district. Remember, if he does get the diagnosis, then the school district has to provide services for him. Now most school district pyschologists are very good and thorough with their evals, but they also work for the school district and can be influenced by that. Again, that is not to say that your school district won't do a proper and thorough eval on your ds, its just that our school district tried to screw us last time we had to have an pysch eval done on our dd.

And please don't get scared off about having the eval done through the school district. I just want you to be aware that there are other options available to you as well, that are completely impartial to your ds actually be diagnosed as it won't affect them either way. And if you do get a crappy pyschologist, you're always on the waiting list for the neuropysch and you can always cancel that appointment if you choose to.
May 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Tofu Bacon
Yeah, when I first started alling around trying to get an appointment I got on the wait list for a independent neuropsycological exam; its a 6 month wait and I made the appointment in February, so I left my name on the list just in cases... I'm really hoping we won't need to go that route because my younger brother just had one and insurance wouldn't cover it so it cost my mom $1400!!!
May 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What type of insurance do you have? We have Community Blue (Blue/Cross Blue Shield) and they covered the neuropysch eval. If you haven't already, I would definately call your ins company and find out for sure that its not a covered service. A lot of insurance now adays have mental health coverage and it may just be finding the right provider.
May 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Tofu Bacon
We have Empire (Blue Cross-Blue Shield). My mom has HIP and they didn't cover it because they don't consider Aspergers a "medical" issue
May 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We have Empire (Blue Cross-Blue Shield). My mom has HIP and they didn't cover it because they don't consider Aspergers a "medical" issue [/b]
Yeah, here Aspergers falls under mental health. When we were having dd evaluated back when she was between 7 and 9, we weren't looking for Asperger's but it was behavioral which I believe also fell under mental health and we had to call the ins. co. and see what was and wasn't covered under their mental health clause. We had Anthem (BCBS).

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I hope it goes well! You've been given lots of good advice

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search