My experience with

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK so I know some of you are skeptics and some of you can't try it and others don't want to try and or you have tried it and have been able to form you own opinion. So I thought I would share our experience with it.

So at first we didn't switch completely, we just changed the major stuff. And right away we saw a difference. Well DH and I being skeptics we chalked it up him having a good day. Well on the third day Cameron didn't do any stimming at all. And he was much more aware of us and his surroundings. He was much more vocal and was initiating play!!! We were pretty excited!

Well it was near the end of the month and we're on a budget so we ran out of fresh fruits and veggies and we ended up "cheating" on Cameron's diet. And let me tell you that cheating is easy to do. "oh here's a cookie" Well after the first day of cheating he was such a handful! He was glued to our sides and nothing made him happy. Well DH and I still being skeptics, we chalked it up to him having a bad day. But those bad days continued for 2 more days until I could do groceries!

So am I a believer? Yes. For Cameron this has made a huge difference.

I also wanted to share my spaghetti recipe with you.

Cameron will only eat peas and corn, no meat, some fruit, cheese, yogurt (which he's not allowed anymore until I start making my own) and pasta (sometimes rice). So that all being said I end up making him spaghetti a lot. So for those who's child will eat pasta and sauce, but won't eat it if it has meat or vegetables here's what I did (most of you know this trick already I'm sure, but this is what I put in it )

2 jars of your child's favorite tomato sauce
cooked, cubed chicken breast
lean hamburger meat
carrots
red pepper
green pepper
garlic (if your child likes it)
onion
celery
broccoli
(you can add fresh spinach if your child won't mind the taste, I didn't because I tried it once and Cam wasn't a fan of it)

Cook this all together in a pot. Once cooked put it in a blender and blend it all. It will become like a puree. It will also change the color of it to more of a rose color.

Once it's all blended and back in the pot and add 1-2 cans of tomato paste (this will help with the color and texture). Once cooked serve over your childs favorite thing (bread, pasta, rice).

I take the left overs and freeze it into ice cube trays. Once frozen I take the cubes out and put them into a freezable ziplock and freeze more of the sauce in the trays. I take 2 blocks out for meals where Cameron won't eat what we are having or I prepare it for lunch for him. We use rice pasta so it makes it Gf/CF. There is also a special sauce that you can buy that is GF/CF but I haven't found it yet.

Hope this helps someone. I know I felt so good knowing Cameron was eating all those yummy and nutritious veggies and meats.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
May 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear that the diet is working for him!! You make his yogurt? If so I want to know how you do that!
May 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
How wonderful that it had such a positive effect on him!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Glad to hear that the diet is working for him!! You make his yogurt? If so I want to know how you do that![/b]
I haven't made him yogurt yet. I have to buy a yogurt maker. But someone is helping me find a used one. It takes 24hrs in this machine (although you can make it in like 4hrs but for it to be GF/CF you have to leave it for 24hrs), then you just add you fruit and VOILA!

When I learn how I'll let you know, or you can just head out to your little home kitchen place and buy a yogurt maker

May 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Can you share an example of a couple days typical diet?

May 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Can you share an example of a couple days typical diet?[/b]
Ummm sure. Cameron eats a lot of the same foods because he's picky.

Breakfast:

Fruit (bananas, grapes, apples or kiwis) or 2 eggs with cheese

Lunch:

Rice pasta with grated fresh parmesan cheese or rice with corn and peas or eggs (if he hasn't had it for breakfast)

Supper:
Rice pasta with homemade sauce, rice stir fry (he only eats the rice, peas and corn), corn on the cobb with sweet potatoes

I just recently was able to have him eat a banana with some peanut butter so yay for more protein in his diet! And Cameron gets a multi vitamin every day and he drinks milk (twice a day) and juice (always watered down and many many times a day).

Snacks:
dried cranberry's, raisins, colby cheese cubed, fruit and sometimes a gluten free cookie.

Hope that helps.

May 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I am considering trying this with Gus since you saw such a change in Cameron, even though he Gus so picky - if it's not working I can always go back right? So I wanted to see what some your little guy is eating on it.
I know Gus would have problems with what Cameron is eating. The only thing on your list I have had any luck getting Gus to eat is the peanut butter and juice! Lucky you he will eat so much fruit! Gus will only eat banana baby food puree and apple juice. Breakfast would be our hardest hurdle. He loves his Life cereal. It's our "go-to" food, one thing he will always eat. I could switch to the special kind of bread for lunch and he wouldn't care as long as it had peanut butter on it. I am sure I could make GFCF chicken nuggets myself for supper. I wonder if there is a cereal very similar to Life that would be okay...

May 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I just wanted to mention that cheese has casein in it. So it sounds like more of a gluten free, but not casein free diet. Not that I'm saying it's a problem at all, or to be critical.

My son has had testing that shows casein is not really a problem, but gluten might bother him. I am going to a gluten free baking class tomorrow. I haven't been able to find a decent bread to give him, and I'd like to at least reduce the amount of gluten in my son's diet.

I have a lot of friends who do GFCF, and some who just to CF or GF. My son is so picky that it's difficult. Also, if you're considering any diet, I'd recommend trying when they are young...it's more difficult to keep specific foods from a 7 year old than a 2 year old, for instance. My son doesn't really understand that a food would be bad for him or make his tummy hurt. He just wants to eat what he likes and will have meltdowns about it.

In fact, it happened at school today...Oh well.

Mom to Charlie (10), Ethan (7) and Desmond (11/07)
May 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Quote:
I just wanted to mention that cheese has casein in it. So it sounds like more of a gluten free, but not casein free diet.[/b]
I missed that! Well, at least I wouldn;t have a problem getting him to not eat cheese, he already doesn;t Does yogurt have casein then?

May 6th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Unfortunately I don't know all the ins and outs of the diet yet. I have just made changes that work for us and were recommended. He's not allowed all cheeses only whole cheeses. But now that I know the diet is working I am reading up on it more and am looking for more recipes. I will be the first to say I don't know nearly enough about it. But I'm trying and it's working so I'm going to keep at it.

Crissy, will Gus eat pancakes or cake? There is a mix of flour you can use.

Rice flour (either white or brown doesn't matter)
Potato STARCH Flour (there is also potato flour but you do NOT want that )
Tapioca Flour
Xanthium Gum (you buy it in a small bag. It is quite expensive but lasts a long time).

Please look below at the proportions that you will mix the flours. You need a lot more Rice Flour then the others. When you get home you are going to have to blend the flours in this proportion. I have a big container that I have my Gluten Free Flour mix in.

Gluten Free Flour Mix
2 cups of Rice Flour
2/3 of a cup of Potato STARCH Flour
1/3 of a cup of Tapioca Flour.

Note when you see a recipe that calls for Gluten Free Flour mix you use this flour blend above. Here is the next great thing, you can take any regular recipe and substitute white flour for the Gluten Free Flour mix but for every cup of flour the recipe calls for you need to add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Xanthium gum. So for example the recipe that we use for pancakes comes from a regular cookbook that I convert over to GF/CF (Gluten Free Casein Free). You may want to pick up baking powder and buy aluminum free baking power. It should be in the same section as the special flours. Another thing you may want to pick up is a little bit of sea salt.

I also have a few recipes gathered already if you want to try one just let me know and I'll pm you the recipe.

May 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Cool, thanks Natalie!

I did some we surfing last night and found that Rice Chex are GFCF, I wonder if they are similar to Life cereal and will try those. Life is oats, not rice, but the Chex kind of look like them, it's worth a try. And there is a GFCF Oreo-clone cookie available too, by Kinnikinnick, called Cookie Ktoos, maybe he would eta them, he loooooves Oreos.

May 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
You know I'm pretty sure that whole cheese is casein free because of the process that it takes to get to the actual cheese. It's the same idea as the yogurt. It's the "sugar" in the milk that is the casein right? I was told that whole cheeses were ok like: colby, cheddar, parmesan, (no cottage cheese, or mozzarella).

I may be wrong but I was pretty sure the whole cheese was ok.

I planned on buying Cameron some gluten free cookies today for a treat. I'm doing my best to keep him on a gf/cf diet. It it ends up being mostly gf and it works then that's great!

Crissy, what kinds of food will Gus eat? Maybe I could help you find some alternatives?

May 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hmm, I'm kind of reading the opposite on the GFCF diet websites I'm visiting. I also looked up how cheese is made to be sure. I read that the process of cheese-making removes the water, lactose and whey proteins so that the casein is concentrated. The harder the cheese (cheddar, parmesan etc) the MORE casein it has in it. The softer cheese like cottage and mozzarella have less casein, they have a higher percentage of whey. But they all have casein. No dairy cheeses are recommended in the GFCF diets I am finding, although there are some cheese substitutes, like from soy. Essentially, no dairy. Yogurt is okay if it's soy. Well, we already drink rice and almond milk, I am not a fan of cow milk for people, it turns my stomach, and hubby (though he hates to admit it as he loves milk) gets a bad tummy from it as well.

Natalie, this is ALL the foods Gus has been known to eat for at least the past year. See why I question whether we could even go GFCF with him?

Gerber banana puree
Life cereal
Cheerios
Frozen waffles, plain
Pancakes
Peanut butter sandwiches, not fussy about what kind of bread
Oreo cookies
Red Baron pepperoni frozen mini pizzas with all the toppings picked off
Papa Murphys pepperoni pizza with all the toppings picked off - but then he will sometimes eat the pepperonis later
He ate an ice cream cone once!
Trix yogurt
Yo Baby yogurt
Chicken nuggets - not fussy on brand
French Fries
Ketchup - he loooooves ketchup, will eat it in gobs
Apple juice
For candy he only likes lollipops or candy canes

I'm wracking my brain and I think that is everything! Pretty sad huh. We let him eat as much ketchup as he wants because it and pizza sauce are hi only veggie!

May 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
From what I understand any kind of dairy is a no no on the GFCF diet.

I am really thinking about starting the diet.
May 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Hmm, I'm kind of reading the opposite on the GFCF diet websites I'm visiting. I also looked up how cheese is made to be sure. I read that the process of cheese-making removes the water, lactose and whey proteins so that the casein is concentrated. The harder the cheese (cheddar, parmesan etc) the MORE casein it has in it. The softer cheese like cottage and mozzarella have less casein, they have a higher percentage of whey. But they all have casein. No dairy cheeses are recommended in the GFCF diets I am finding, although there are some cheese substitutes, like from soy. Essentially, no dairy. Yogurt is okay if it's soy. Well, we already drink rice and almond milk, I am not a fan of cow milk for people, it turns my stomach, and hubby (though he hates to admit it as he loves milk) gets a bad tummy from it as well.

Natalie, this is ALL the foods Gus has been known to eat for at least the past year. See why I question whether we could even go GFCF with him?

Gerber banana puree
Life cereal
Cheerios
Frozen waffles, plain
Pancakes
Peanut butter sandwiches, not fussy about what kind of bread
Oreo cookies
Red Baron pepperoni frozen mini pizzas with all the toppings picked off
Papa Murphys pepperoni pizza with all the toppings picked off - but then he will sometimes eat the pepperonis later
He ate an ice cream cone once!
Trix yogurt
Yo Baby yogurt
Chicken nuggets - not fussy on brand
French Fries
Ketchup - he loooooves ketchup, will eat it in gobs
Apple juice
For candy he only likes lollipops or candy canes

I'm wracking my brain and I think that is everything! Pretty sad huh. We let him eat as much ketchup as he wants because it and pizza sauce are hi only veggie![/b]
OK so maybe I'm doing mostly a GF diet? I was just given some foods to try and see if I found a difference in Cameron. I was told they were all both GF/CF but I could be wrong. Now that I have seen some major improvements I plan on doing a lot more research and finding a lot more recipes and foods.

Crissy, although it would be hard to do it would be worth while to change Gus's diet. GF and CF or a combination of both act the same for a child as heroin to an adult. That's why they repeat things, stim and want only certain foods. Because those foods are like heroin to him and that's where he gets his "fix". If you can manage to take that out of his diet and get through the "withdrawal" process. Once the withdrawal is over you should find that he's more responsive and more willing to try new or different foods. I would give it a try. Because from that list it seems he is filling his addiction. I would also talk to your doctor about a prescription for Nystatin for a couple of months. You should check out the videos on the autism Canada website. Go HERE and scroll down to the red green and yellow section. Click on each person and their video will start. There is tons of info on the GF and CF diets on there too. Hopefully that will help you.

Some autistic children get yeast problems and that's another reason they "need" to eat certain foods and reject others. It's all explained on that site. Good luck with your decision. I know I am still learning.

May 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If its helping him then YAY

Yes, casein is in milk/dairy products but it sounds like you are off to a great start. While we haven't tried it, I have read a little on it. I eliminated wheat out of "my" diet in the early months of bf Jacob as it seemed he was sensitive to it. I had a very hard time because I love wheat products Glad its going well and if he makes great improvements, you may not even have to worry about the dairy.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yes, casein is in milk/dairy products but it sounds like you are off to a great start. Glad its going well and if he makes great improvements, you may not even have to worry about the dairy.[/b]
Any dairy contains casein. My poor ds was severely allergic when he was a baby and I couldn't even eat (was breastfeeding, so I had to change MY diet, lol) a cookie if it had non-fat dry milk as the very last ingredient in it.

Sounds like you may only have to give up the gluten for him, which makes the diet sooo much easier!

As a side note, for those wanting to do the candida diet, it's eliminating all wheat, dairy, citrus, tomatoes, and sugar. It's usually best to also eliminate all fruits for the first few weeks just because they contain fruit sugars...Adding in an acidopholus and garlic supplement is very beneficial as well because garlic has anti-yeast qualities to it. I've done this diet a lot in the past and it really does work. It works even better than pharmaceutical meds.

May 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info Jess!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search