Picklesmama and anyone else who had a kiddo recently

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
How is your ASD child with the new baby?

Alex is so much better than I could ever hope for. I am shocked really. We did so much preparing. I think he handles her crying better than I do. he will take her in full scream and put her in his lap and methodically try things to calm her like an adult would. Binky doesn't work, so he will dance her, then he will put her on his shoulder and pat her back, you gotta see him. Although the baby does seem to have become one of his "obsessive things". He is constantly checking on her, I am not sure if he trusts us with her, LOL
April 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Angus is just fine with baby Kate. He hasn't shown any sign of jealousy at all. He has only asked to hold her a couple of times, he isn't extremely interested in her, but he does seem to like her, he was very excited to tell his class about her, and the bus driver, and anybody who came by or we ran into that he has a new baby sister. He took her picture to school with him and showed all who would look. But other than seeming to be proud of her, he doesn't really pay her much attention - he is busy doing his own thing. Occasionally if she is crying he will say "mama Kate needs you", or tell me she needs her milk, other times she can be howling her head off and he pays no mind. I haven't been concerned at all about leaving the room for a minute if she is in her playpen or swing and he is in there too - now 2 year old Sydney, that's another story!
That's great that Alex is so good with his sister! My 7 year old Jack is like that, he's a great little mama's helper, but I wouldn't trust Gus to pick Kate up, he is still kind of young for his age, I don't think he would be gentle at all with patting her back either, he is rough with everything and everyone, not maliciously, that's just him. He uses too much force - he would shove the pacifier in her mouth way too hard. Fortunately he doesn't show any desire to pick her up or take care of her, he just likes to bring her toys and say "see Kate? see the bear?" and stuff like that.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; April 25th, 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: stupid double posting glitches, what's up with jm lately?
April 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
dotcomkari's Avatar Bianca, Kai & Asia's mom
Send a message via AIM to dotcomkari Send a message via MSN to dotcomkari
Asia is almost 9 months old.. so she isn't really new..
But Kai is feeling very jealous towards her. He hates it when she gets attention and seeks attention.. he tries to push her off our laps.. or sit right on top of her.. and screams "icky baby" at her..
but he is also very gentle with her most of the time, and loves to help her.. by making bottles.. and getting her toys.. washing her hair.. picking out clothes for her to wear.. finding her coat.. helping put her into the car seat.. so forth

THANK YOU Claire for Siggy! WE LOVE IT!

Kari, Proud wife to Raymond (8.16.03) proud mommy to: Olivia Katherine ( born still 3.5.00), Bianca (12.23.03) , Kai (4.28.06) and Asia (7.14.08)

Proud Member of the :
Children With Special Needs, 2008 July Playroom, ASD Board, Stillborn Baby Board
April 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Alex is doing really great with Aiden, 3 months. I thought Alex might have issues with Aiden's crying but he doesn't even notice. Aiden could be lying right next to him screaming his head off and Alex won't even notice or care. The jealousy factor does play a role but isn't too bad. I am pretty sure the jealousy thing will get worse as Aiden learns how to crawl and wants more attention. Right now he still sleeps most of the time.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
April 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Noah has no interest in Jace what so ever (3 months). He does get very overwhelmed if you put the baby near him, or ask him to help with something. Most of the time, he barely notices Jace's presence, crying does seem to affect him at all.

April 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
Sammy is almost 9 months now. Freddy didn't like him much at first. He didn't understand what to do with him and never wanted to hold him. He would help get diapers and such, but that got out of control (he'd have a fit if someone else got the diaper) so we had to stop that. Now, Sammy gets into everything. Freddy likes him a lot and they play together. Freddy still doesn't like Sammy playing with 'his' toys. But they get along well.

April 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Moonlight View Post
Sammy is almost 9 months now. Freddy didn't like him much at first. He didn't understand what to do with him and never wanted to hold him. He would help get diapers and such, but that got out of control (he'd have a fit if someone else got the diaper) so we had to stop that. Now, Sammy gets into everything. Freddy likes him a lot and they play together. Freddy still doesn't like Sammy playing with 'his' toys. But they get along well.
This reminds me so much of Gus! We have to be careful what we let him do for that same reason, or he will freak out when he isn't allowed or if someone else does it.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM
LovingMyBoys's Avatar Mom of 3 boys
We were petrified of how DS1 (7 with Aspergers/ADHD) would go with DS2 and he amazed me and still does to this day. He adores and loves his little brother so much and is so helpful with him. Best of all he doesnt even attempt to take any aggression out on him, which was our biggest fear.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search