Information on Non-regressive autistic children recovering??

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My SIL has a 2 year old little boy who has not officially been diagnosed with autism yet.. but i am 100% pos that he will be at his next apt.. (they had to get hearing and blood work done first)

She asked me to find information on the % of children who recover from autism with the regressive form vs the non-regressive form.. and i cant really find anything about that!?

her son has the non-regressive type of autism.. he has always been autistic.. and i think shes afraid that since hes always been like this that there is no hope..

~Em

April 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
My son has always had autism, in retrospect he showed signs from infancy. I have no doubt he will never be "recovered", I think he will always have autism, he will just learn how to overcome the negative aspects and function as best he can in the world of typical people.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to what Crissy said. I am still on the fence wether children can really recover fully from Autism. Like Crissy I think Jay will probaly always have Autism. I am hopeful that Jay will make progress because he already has. Mainly with speech. Since your sister is on the ball and getting a early diagnosis its a good thing.
April 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I want to add, there is always hope!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Yes I agree with others. Alex has always had autism though his symptoms did get alot worse around 1 1/2 - 2 years old. He has made some amazing progress in the past year since starting therapy and school. So I do believe that he will get better at coping with his disorder but I don't think he will ever be fully recovered/cured.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
April 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are in the same boat. I thought he was different from infancy. He took longer took a lot longer to laugh than his twin and he stared at ceiling fans at 6 months old. Then I noticed not responding to his name, not pointing at 18 months...etc. So yup, he has always showed signs.

I agree that there is hope no matter if regressive or always there. I am aiming that Nathan will loose his autism dx before kindergarten and not need an aid in school. To me that would mean that he will still have challenges but he will be pretty darn close to typical children.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search