Asking for advice or guidance

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
huckleberry312's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi I am a member of a few of the other boards on JM. I mainly stick to myself, but I really need some advice and and guidance. I have a 7 yr old that was recently suspended for a sexual offense. He was playing with other kids and put his hands in a boy and girls shirt. He was suspended for 3 days. We work with a child counselor at the school. She stated that it was not meant in a sexual nature and that he didn't understand what he was doing due to his autism and adhd. It was an attempt to get attention from the other kids, even if it was negative attention. The counselor was at our emergency meeting and told the principal this. He still insists that it had sexual intent and refused to remove it from his record. The school denied his IEP before, but now the counseler/advocate is insisting he gets one because he is being reprimanded for things like meltdowns, eating chapstick in class, and swinging a hall pass. After our meeting with the resource teacher, counselor, and principal, the principal called us into his office and asked us not to bring our child for morning recess. He said that he had to protect the other students from my son. He also said that he would like him to volunteer 2 times a week during his lunch recess doing something else instead of interacting with the other kids. To me this sounds like he is discriminating against my son. Does anyone know who I can contact to get student rights? We have already gone to the head of the school district. He didn't even show up for the meeting. I am at a loss right now. Sorry this is long, but I wanted to give everyone some background. Any advice or guidance is much appreciated
thanks

Randie

April 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
LovingMyBoys's Avatar Mom of 3 boys
I wish I could offer more help, but im in Australia so everything is different here law wise.
I would definitely look at changing his school though, he is being discriminated against by the sounds of things and speaking from experience there are better and more supportive schools out there. Sorry wish I could help you out more I hope things improve for you and even more for him.

April 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
The best advice I could give you is to look at Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy It has all of the special education laws. I would definately learn the laws so you can fight the good fight to get your son the services that he needs/deserves. Every child is entitled to a free appropriate education and from the sound of it, he isn't getting that.
And definately look into an advocate or lawyer. Most lawyers will give free phone consults so you can atleast ask them if there is something you can do about this situation. What the school is doing to your son just isn't right.
Maybe others will have more advice. And HUGS, sorry you are having to go through all of this.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
April 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I don't know, but I am so sorry! Good grief, he's 7! A similar thing happened to my friend IRL's son, he was 8 at the time, and hugged a girl, and was suspended - he does not have a Dx'ed ASD but he is delayed and has an IEP - the school definitely labeled him a problem child and treated him unfairly and she eventually pulled him from school. It sounds like the same thing is happening with your son, and it breaks my heart for him and you I hope you can get some help!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
I have no advice, but I think that's just pathetic that the school is discriminating. Instead of helping him learn proper ways of interacting, they're shoving him away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search