Update from the Burton House!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
mommy2autisticgirls's Avatar crazy but loveable
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2autisticgirls
Hey there lovely ladies!
Thought i would post an update and see how everyone else is doing too! We've started ABA with Maggie and so far so decent. We're debating about making some changes with the bedroom arrangements so Maggie can have a separate therapy area for awhile. We've also been able to increase her OT time and she's really booming with that now.

I'm really not sure if we're going to stick with ABA, I know we will through the end of the school year and probably the summer. Into next year though, I don't know. The actual ABA therapist is great, she's very kind and very sweet natured and Maggie really likes her. The ABA Tutor that actually comes to the house and does the sessions is really new at the whole ABA concept and is young. Nice and all, but not that active and seems really, disinterested. I'm not sure what we'll do about it, but I atleast need to know that I've tried and that we've given it a really genuine shot.

Riley is still waiting for the ADOS testing to happen, and I'm hoping that we can get that done before the end of the school year. I'm also still waiting for the OT that Riley sees to finish her report so we can get the IEP meeting scheduled before the end of the year and make some choices about next year. We're also waiting on Psychoeducational Evaluation authorization from our health insurance in order to have Riley's psychologist to perform the testing again. (I didn't agree or understand the results from the school district, so her psychologist said she would perform the tests again)

Ella is fine all in all. She's been sick for about 3 weeks now. Back and forth with ear infections, strep throat, and now looks like bronchitis. We've been referred to ENT for possible PE tubes, maybe having her tonsils and adenoids out. She's also started back into speech and occupational therapy, so she's in that again. So, now we're in Puyallup 4 days a week, have ABA 4 days a week and school on top of all this. They are really busy girls, and of course, that makes me a really busy mama.

I am exercising again and my diet is working pretty well. I've lost 30 pounds since March 1st. But, that's purdy much it for now!

How about you lovely mama's? How's life?
April 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
WTG on your weight loss!

Sorry Riley's home tutor isn't all she could be - wonder why she's doing it if she seems diinterested?
I hope Ella feels better soon and either doesn't need surgery, or that it goes smoothly if she does!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 1st, 2009, 04:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree way to go on the weight loss, that's fantastic! I guess being so busy with the girls it must be really tough to make time to exercise and eat right. Kuddos to you!

I hope you don't have to wait to long for Riley's testing. I know what you mean about the ABA stuff for Maggie. We are about to get our ABA started and Nathan's TSS is really young and she actually said that she thinks he will be talking after several sessions. DH and I looked at each other and figure she is either on crack or she has no clue what she is doing. When I told his SLP she just about fell off her seat. But I think you are doing the right thing by giving it a fair chance. If it turns out that you don't think she is good match can you request someone else?

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
mommy2autisticgirls's Avatar crazy but loveable
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2autisticgirls
We can definitely request someone else, but I'm not sure how smoothly that would go. Maggie is already attached to Nicole, so my hope is that we can work something out and have the ABA therapist herself come supervise more sessions. I'm hoping that maybe she just needs more training and to really get involved with the children to help her develop more passion for what she is doing? Atleast that's my hope!
May 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That makes sense.

I'm curious myself how ABA will go for us. First off we took the first agency that would take us. I was told to just jump ship if we aren't happy down the road and another agency has an opening, but I don't like the idea of starting over again either. Also everyone told me that there can be a lot of turnover with therapists because it is usually and entry level position. So I have a feeling that as soon as Nathan and I get used to someone, they will be gone and we will have to start over. I truly hope that happens less than I am thinking it will.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; May 1st, 2009 at 06:59 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search