Toys...

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Veteran
for spining for a child that's the spins all day and doesn't like toys. He's 7 but the size of a ten year old.
May 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Did you ever look into either purchasing or making a spin board. My occupational therapist got me one for both of the kids. It's either that or a computer chair, my kids love lying on my computer chair and spinning. They are only 3 & 4 though. Other than that I don't have any suggestions.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
For outdoors, a rope swing or tire swing...
For indoors, if you have a strong supporting beam you can affix something to, a hammock chair on a heavy-duty spinning hook (like they hang plants from), they have something like that at my son's OT so i know you can get them.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How about toy cars? Jay likes to spin himself but he will spin anything he can. He will even spin socks. Don't ask how he does that lol..
May 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Veteran
Thank-you. I can't find anything on spinning boards. We're definitely going to look into putting a spining hammock chair.
Toy cars he takes apart, or ignores them.
May 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Its hard and frustrating I know. Jay is not that into toys either unless he can stim off them. How about a etch a sketch? We just got one for Jay and he loves it. He likes turning the knobs.
May 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
TheHusband's Avatar Veteran
One of my favourite spinning toys when I was smaller was my Holodisc. They were hugely popular in the 80s and you can still find them as Lazer Discettes or similar. It's like a flattened spinning top

You could also look for Euler's disc. I had one of those too and I was totally hyponotised by it It's a magnetized metal disc which you can spin and it'll keep spinning for aaaaages.

Both worked well for me because they were bright and shiny, and being solid pieces they're not something that can be taken apart by inquisitive hands! Plus being small (roughly CD sized) and cheap (in the case of the holodisc) I could take them with me easily, throw them around, and lose a couple without my grandparents worrying about the cost. My holodisc saved me from many an... incompatible... situation visiting relatives and stuff!

Now with added Blog! http://egare1.blogspot.com/ (fancy button or something will appear later)
May 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHusband View Post
One of my favourite spinning toys when I was smaller was my Holodisc. They were hugely popular in the 80s and you can still find them as Lazer Discettes or similar. It's like a flattened spinning top

You could also look for Euler's disc. I had one of those too and I was totally hyponotised by it It's a magnetized metal disc which you can spin and it'll keep spinning for aaaaages.

Both worked well for me because they were bright and shiny, and being solid pieces they're not something that can be taken apart by inquisitive hands! Plus being small (roughly CD sized) and cheap (in the case of the holodisc) I could take them with me easily, throw them around, and lose a couple without my grandparents worrying about the cost. My holodisc saved me from many an... incompatible... situation visiting relatives and stuff!
Hi.. I am just curious are you or were you on the spectrum as a child? Just the way you posted that is what it seems like. Never seen you post on here. Maybe you could tell us about yourself?
May 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpimentel View Post
Thank-you. I can't find anything on spinning boards. We're definitely going to look into putting a spining hammock chair.
Toy cars he takes apart, or ignores them.
Basically it is a small circular board under the rectangular shaped piece (that's where they lie or sit to spin). I'll try to post a pic or two later of one.

May 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
TheHusband's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctanis View Post
Hi.. I am just curious are you or were you on the spectrum as a child? Just the way you posted that is what it seems like. Never seen you post on here. Maybe you could tell us about yourself?
Hello random people

I usually hang out in the November DDC, my better half is due around the end of November, but I lurk around here. I'm not fully Autie, but I was confirmed back in England as having Aspergers, which kinda puts me in the half-way house of autism. I'm not bad enough to suffer the full range of stuff, but I'm not entirely normal

I've been an Aspie for as long as I can remember, but I got worse in the past few years after suffering a bout of Chronic Lyme disease. Chronic Lyme causes brain damage (the spirochette can cross the blood/brain barrier and multiply within the brain itself) - I can look forward to developing a similar form of dementia to the one boxers get - Pugilistic Dementia.

The upshot is that I've slipped along the spectrum somewhat - where in the past I was Aspie, I now have more autistic traits that I can recognise but having been more on the normal end I'm more capable of coping with them. It's a good middle-ground position if our kids turn out to be autistic

Now with added Blog! http://egare1.blogspot.com/ (fancy button or something will appear later)
May 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would love to see you post on this board more. We usually not get alot of random people on this board so thats why I asked. I think my uncle has Asbergers actually. I think it would be nice to have someone on the spectrum kind of let us know what might be going on in our kids head. Oh yeah what is normal anyways.
May 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Here are the pics of the spin board. They look easy enough to make for someone that likes to build.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search