Need some ideas

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Some of the stuff Jay disturbs the people below us. Like for example he will stomp on the floor or jump really hard. We have a trampoline. Sometimes it helps with that sometimes it does not. What could I do to help with that. I know he needs the input. Also today he starting rocking the rocking chair really hard and it bangs on the floor if that makes sense. Or he sit in the chair and rocks really hard. It does not bother me so much but the people below us complain. I tried explaining that he has Autism and I can not keep him from doing this at all times. So is there something we could do with him so he is not doing that so much. At some point I may need to talk to these people and try to explain why he does this. Anyone know a good website where I could print something out to explain to them in Lamens terms.
May 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did the people react to when you said he has autism. Were they more understanding then? I really dont know what else you can do besides take him outside to play. The trampoline sounds like a good idea. Ive never had to deal with people under me though. Maybe eventually you will have to move into a one level or townhouse?? That is what we have. Either that or else they will just have to deal with it. I mean if you live under someone you will just have to come to realize you are going to hear things and some things may be louder than others. They knew that going in...

May 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hmm, I have to admit that even being educated about autism I would be aggravated if my upstairs neighbour's child were thumping on the floor, autism or not.

I can sympathize with the position you are in. It is one thing for us, his family, to tolerate his disturbances, but I do my best to keep him from bothering others - usually that just means removing him from the restaurant, store, gathering or whatever if he is being disruptive. fortunately we live in a single family home, and our neighouring houses are a good 50 feet away with shrubs between as well, his noise hasn't been an issue (I did let them know about his autism and ask if they could hear his shrieking). Not so easy for you in an apartment though!

Would trading apartments be a possibility? You move down, they move up? Also, is he making noise during normal hours or after hours? When we lived in an apartment, there was a noise ordinance, we had to be quiet and considerate of neighbours between the hours of 10pm and 7am. We lived on the top floor so we never had any complaints, but one week our downstairs neighbour asked me to feed his bird while he was away, and I was horrified at how noisy just the sound of Andy walking around upstairs was! And I did daycare during the day! Luckily the single guy who lived below us was also Navy and left for work about the time my daycare kids got dropped off and came home as they were leaving !

But I digress - if Jay is making noise during normal hours, they may just have to suck it up or move. If you do want to give them some information about why jay does what he does, you can find lots of cards online, just google "autism awareness cards" or something like that - here is an example of one, you could even make them yourself.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The kids go to bed before 9pm and usually are up between 6-7am. So if they try to be noisy I get on them to keep the noise down. Usually they are fine. They watch some tv while I get breakfast ready. We were having problems with Jay making noise early in the morning and the landlord called us. I took care of it. Its hard because I know that the jumping gets irratating but I feel that during the day it should not be such a problem. They know we have two children up here. They know this is a very old house and there is like no insulation in here so things are louder. Everytime Jay jumps they pound on the ceiling. This is the middle of the day. If Jay jumps on the floor I try to redirect him to the trampoline. Sometimes it does not work. Its hard becuase when Jay is sick he does this stuff more and NOTHING really works to get him to tone it down. Its like he has OCD.

The thing is I can hear there kid running around down there at 11pm at night. If they ever comes up to complain again I am going to say something like yeah you can hear alot of things. You hear my kids jumping and I hear your kid running around late at night.

Switching apartments is not a option. We could not afford that apartment. We pay $500 and they pay almost $600 plus we have electric heat and the people on the first floor end up paying about $400 a month in electric in the winter.

This is hard because I want to keep the peace with Neighboors but I find it a little unreasonable for them to expect us to keep my kid from jumping during the day. I do my best to try to stop Jay but it does not always work. I think that when you live in a apartment like this there is some things you have to deal with. For the four years we have lived here we have had dealt with people slamming doors to the point the apartment was shaking. People fighting in the middle of the night. The slamming door thing bothered me any time of the day but I never complained about it unless it was during the night.

I am trying to get a job and I am going to save up for a new apartment. Right now moving is not a option. We just can not afford it.
May 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh that must be really stressful. I am so sorry that you have to go through your entire day worrying about Jay disturbing the neighbors.

I really don't have any advice on how to curb the jumping other than what you have already said. I think if I were you, I would pretty much just say screw the neighbors. Do what you can to make the noise reasonable and then just keep saying to yourself that you are doing the best that you can. The next time they come knocking and complain about the noise, don't beat yourself up, instead seek comfort from other people who support and understand your situation. You can't please everybody all of the time. Hang in there!!!

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I forgot to add that we put up gates up so the kids can not go in the kitchen or hallway where if they jump the noise level is way worse.
May 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
I'm having a similar problem but not with Jumping. I live in the basement appartement, so no one but the ants complain about Noah's jumping. Shrieking on the other hand... I do my best to get him to stop but as we know, there are some moments you just have to ride out. He shrieks when he's happy, sad, angry you name it. Noah also has a load of sleep issues so sometimes this is around 1am. My neighbors upstairs are the kindest people in the world and could care less. She often tells me my kids are quiet, that she never hears them, but I know that's a lie. The next door neighbor mind you is just the opposite. He's gone as far as calling the cops on us, because he "wondered" *read was annoyed* by Noah's screaming and thought he was in trouble or pain. I had to explain to the cops that he is autistic, and even went as far as getting my dr writing a referral letter that I made a copy of and delivered to both my landlord and my neighbor. He hasn't complained since, but every now and then, when Noah's having a bad day he will bang on the wall.

What about those foamy floor "tile" things? Maybe they would take some of the impact and reduce at least a little?

May 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm having a similar problem but not with Jumping. I live in the basement appartement, so no one but the ants complain about Noah's jumping. Shrieking on the other hand... I do my best to get him to stop but as we know, there are some moments you just have to ride out. He shrieks when he's happy, sad, angry you name it. Noah also has a load of sleep issues so sometimes this is around 1am. My neighbors upstairs are the kindest people in the world and could care less. She often tells me my kids are quiet, that she never hears them, but I know that's a lie. The next door neighbor mind you is just the opposite. He's gone as far as calling the cops on us, because he "wondered" *read was annoyed* by Noah's screaming and thought he was in trouble or pain. I had to explain to the cops that he is autistic, and even went as far as getting my dr writing a referral letter that I made a copy of and delivered to both my landlord and my neighbor. He hasn't complained since, but every now and then, when Noah's having a bad day he will bang on the wall.

What about those foamy floor "tile" things? Maybe they would take some of the impact and reduce at least a little?

May 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM

May 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Well too bad for them then, it's not like he is jumping up and down at 11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *i~make~princes* View Post

Good idea! They don't cost much either!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search