cutting nails

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would appricate any tips I can get. I am having a hard time cutting Jay's finger nails and toe nails. He screams bloody murder when I try to cut them. He also kick scratches me. I know its more then likley a sensory thing. What could I do make it easier. I swear it takes me 25 minutes to get it done because he screams and will not stay still.
May 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
I'm having a similar problem, but with brushing Noah's teeth. I wish I had advice for you...

May 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
You could wait until he as is asleep...

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM
TheHusband's Avatar Veteran
Hmm, from personal experience (ymmv):

Take some time and explain what you're going to do and why.

Demonstrate on someone else what you're going to do, explain that nails don't have nerves so it won't hurt, and he won't really feel it.

Explain what'll happen if they're not cut, I used to hate having mine cut until I saw the Guinness book of records woman with the longest nails... they look *horrible* and I never had a problem after that

It sounds... wrong... but you can try some of the tricks people use with dogs and cats too - someone I knew used to wrap their child's arm in a towel so they couldn't see what they were doing, oddly that seemed to work. Distraction might be an option, but it depends how focussed he gets.

Brushing teeth is harder, I never used to do mine because of the taste of the toothpaste, I never found one I liked and so I just skipped it. Kinda suffering for it now

Now with added Blog! http://egare1.blogspot.com/ (fancy button or something will appear later)
May 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I have heard that cutting their nails while they are sleeping is the best. I just show Alex that I am cutting my nails, and the other kids nails and he is fine with it. It used to be a fight so I would just let them grow until they broke but that isn't good either.

As for the brushing teeth, as The Husband said, try not using tooth paste. I have heard that alot of children with autism just don't like the taste of the toothpaste. It might work but if not I am sorry I don't have any other advice for you.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 14th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jay does well with his teeth being brushed. He used to hate it but I found that the toddler toothpaste was the culprit. I switched him to minty toothpaste and he does alot better.

Thanks for the tips.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search