Aspergers Parents?

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello,
I haven't posted on JM for a while but my son Jackson who turned 4 in September was diagnosed in June with Aspergers Syndrome. I was wondering if there are other parents of children with Aspergers on this forum?

I have some questions about meds (for ADHD (which he also has) and sleeping) and questions about behavior and therapies. We live in a smaller town and I can't find any other parents to relate to.

Thanks,
Danielle

November 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
dotcomkari's Avatar Bianca, Kai & Asia's mom
Send a message via AIM to dotcomkari Send a message via MSN to dotcomkari
welcome to our board! I know there are a lot of mommies here that have children with Autism. But I am not sure how many with Aspergers Syndrome. But we are always here for support and help with questions so forth. We love new mommies to join us. So feel free to ask questions. I am sure someone here will be able to give you a good answer.

THANK YOU Claire for Siggy! WE LOVE IT!

Kari, Proud wife to Raymond (8.16.03) proud mommy to: Olivia Katherine ( born still 3.5.00), Bianca (12.23.03) , Kai (4.28.06) and Asia (7.14.08)

Proud Member of the :
Children With Special Needs, 2008 July Playroom, ASD Board, Stillborn Baby Board
November 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*raises hand* I have an Aspie. We follow the DAN! Protocol and it has worked WONDERS for our son.

February 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
nichol's Avatar Super Mommy
Our son, 6, was just diagnosed with Asperger's.

February 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Danielle, my boys who are 6 and 4 both have Aspergers and ADHD (hyeractive type). We don't medicate for the ADHD but my 4 does have major problems sleeping, he gets up maybe 3-4 times a night. His pediatrition prescribed Melatonin a couple weeks back but we are having issues getting it on our medical card and cant afford to pay the €70 weekly so i honestly can't tell you if it works or not (yet). Any other questions you may have, ask away, if i can answer them for you i will.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES
February 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
We are in the testing process for Aspergers right now. We are fairly sure he has it but its been a process to test someone thats 4˝ here, most wont test till 6yrs old here. We know he has Sensory Processing Disorder but the rest we're still in limbo on.

For Seamus' sleep we give melatonin, its naturally in the body some people just don't make enough of it. Right now he gets 2.5mg (he's been taking it since just before 3yrs, and he'll be 5 in July), but we may have to up it because he's not sleeping again. He's also been on Tenex for his hyper activeness since last Feb. 1.5mg (˝ 3x's a day.)

You don't need a script for the melatonin, you can get it at any pharmacy or supplement store. Walmart here has a chewable/desovable kind its 90 tablets that are 5mg each for $8 (we break them in half). Super Supplements has a liquid form that is also $8 (but doesn't last as long as the tablets).

February 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Me too (kind of). His original diagnosis was high functioning autism at 3.5, but now at almost 6 I truley believe that he is closer to an aspie now that he no longer has a speech delay. He also has ADHD (combination type) but we are not medicating at this point since he is doing great in school.
We have tried melatonin in the past but since my son's issue is staying asleep, not falling asleep, it didn't really help and I noticed he was actually getting up more at night.
As for therapies, my son has had speech therapy, occupational therapy (find one that has experience with sensory issues, my son's was the biggest help), and ABA - Applied Behavioral Analysis. I'm not sure about your state, but here in WI they have the WI waiver (a state funded program that provides ABA therapy, but the waitlist was over a year). There are many different therapies out there including some that you can do yourself with your son that will help.
Also wanted to add that after we started working on my son's sensory issues (he is a huge sensory seeker), his ADHD symptoms did decrease, so it was a big help to him.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
February 16th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Quote:
You don't need a script for the melatonin, you can get it at any pharmacy or supplement store. Walmart here has a chewable/desovable kind its 90 tablets that are 5mg each for $8 (we break them in half). Super Supplements has a liquid form that is also $8 (but doesn't last as long as the tablets).
I wish we were able to get it over the counter. We have to get a script here for it and it can't be from our family doctor it has to be from a pediatrition. Our government also prohibits the sale of it over the counter and also refuses to put it on the medical card scheme (free medical care and medication)as it is not used widely enough. The only way we can get it is to pay this ridiculously high price. They dont make anything easy to get here. Next time we are abroad i am going to try and get it as i've been told many countries sell it over the counter.

Danielle, have you spoken to his doctor about medication and if so what do they suggest?

I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

March 5th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your responses.

I am still trying to figure out what is the best plan for Jack. We are waiting for the paperwork to go through for his ABA therapy but since we live in a smaller town there arent a whole lot of ABA therapist around here. Right now he goes to a Preschool (for half the day) and gets some OT and speech through them. He also sees a child Psychiatrist to moniter his meds. He is on Focalin XR in the am and Focalin (short acting) @ 2:45 and then he takes Clonadine and Trazadone @ bedtime to help with his sleeping (because the ADHD meds make it so can't sleep at all).

When they tested him @ his preschool he tested above average in some areas and well below in others. He has become very argumentative and really hard to handle (sometimes). Dealing with him can be very confusing because when the ADHD meds are working he is typical Asperger's where he obsesses and freaks out but when his meds are wearing off he is typical ADHD.. running around, not focusing, fighting with his siblings, annoying them and being physically aggressive. It is very confusing for me as a parent. I thought that Aspies were not supposed to be clingy. He can be very clingy and needy at times and anytime he feels like he is in trouble he asks for a "hug" and will not calm down until you give him the hug.

I really wish there were a group for Aspie parents around me so I could get some info and some feedback from parents who have BTDT.

March 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
My (almost) 6 year old daughter was just diagnosed with Aspergers this week. We are still learning a lot. With girls its a totally different ball game than with boys, so I can't offer a lot of help. But, I can offer some support. I know how hard it is, and even harder to figure it all out and get the right diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle80 View Post
I thought that Aspies were not supposed to be clingy. He can be very clingy and needy at times and anytime he feels like he is in trouble he asks for a "hug" and will not calm down until you give him the hug.
It can go either way with an Aspie. Certain touches can really bother them, but they also crave the deep pressure than an Autistic child would, and for my daughter she gets them in hugging and loving. Aspies also tend to have a problem with giving people their own space, which was one huge symptom for my DD, she is so touchy to everyone, inappropriately so. So yeah, it goes both ways.

..... ..
March 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
I am not a parent, I am a sister. My brother [he's 26 now] has asperger's.

When we were little I didnt know anything was wrong with my brother, he was my best friend and confidant! When he turned about 8 years old, he shut off. Refused to be my friend anymore.

He wasnt correctly diagonosed as Asperger's until he was about 20. Until then, the doctors fought back and forth with diagnosis such as ADD, no ADD...

He had "Night Terrors" where he would sleep walk and end up downstairs crying, it would wake me up, I'd wake up my mom and they would come get him and take him back to bed... The next day, he wouldn't remember doing it.

He is smart, but smart about certain things. My brother can't read or write very well, but he tries to sound out words the best he can, but he still cannot spell my name. He can take apart an engine and put it back together again without thinking twice, he's very good with his money. And likes lists.

He gets obsessive about certain things, like my dog, he went through a phase that lasted about 8 years where his hand was a creature called a "Pet-A-Nose" and he would make up a whole story about this creature, what it ate, where it lived.. Everything... Then one day, it just didn't matter anymore.

He is 26 like I said. He learned to drive a manual transmission truck, he can drive. He bought his own Ford pickups. He now has a Dodge Ram, automatic. He mows lawns for my parents neighbors, helps out with the same people we grew up around doing yard work, taking the trash to the curb for their older neighbors...

He has social anxiety, and he doesnt like situations where he feels trapped, and he drives, but he doesnt like going places he isnt familiar with. He will go to the mall by himself and shop. He buys things off Craigslist....

But he lives with my parents... And he doesnt intend to leave... My parents want to retire to AZ and my mom told him. He said he would rather live in a group home, as my family as lived in the same house since before I was born.

He likes my mom to rub his feet and rub his back, EVERY DAY, but he doesnt like to cuddle or touch.. Often times stand-offish to strangers. He will ask people in the room questions, through me.

Everyone likes him tho, eventhough he likes to talk about underwear and farts

I love my brother to death, just please parents, remember, as much as you are doing with your Asperger's child... don't forget about your other child. I had to grow up very fast once my brother left my life. I knew my parents loved him more, and years later I told my mom I knew... And she cried. It was ok... But I still knew.

Good luck to you all =]
March 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
My 4 yr old Reese is also very clingy. He is always telling me he loves me and always giving me hugs. He loves having his back rubbed but you cannot give him a kiss. If you kiss him he will rub where you kissed. If you asked him for a kiss he runs away. The other night after he fell asleep in bed, i was fixing his blanket and i kissed the top of his head, even in his sleep he wiped where i kissed. He asks me to hug his favourite teddy bear and if i kiss the teddy bear he will wipe the teddy where i kissed. My 6 yr old Jake will give me a kiss no bother. Every aspie kid is different. They all have their own likes and dislikes. My two boys have pretty much the same diagnosis (classic aspergers and high-functioning aspergers) and they couldn't be more different.

December 19th, 2012, 04:49 AM
stardusthealer's Avatar Super Mommy
My 11 yr old son has Asperger's and adhd. He was diagnosed in March. My 9 yr old they think may have add and pdd-nos and possibly auditory memory disorder and dyslexia and dysgraphia and he has hearing loss in both ears at a high noise range.

1. Mom to Arielle13,Tyler 10.5, Dylan 8.5 and Autumn Rayne 21mths and Step dd Nevaeh 3

January 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
My son is 8 and was diagnosed w adhd at 4 and then anxiety and then a sleep disorder. I feel like there is more going on. I know you aren't doctors but I'm looking for some opinions. I don't think he has adhd because he can sit all day and play with legos. He can focus on things he likes. Also the me da work for a couple months and then stop. He has extreme anxiety to where he sometimes hares himself for not being able to do things without getting into trouble. He does NOT sleep! He has been on every sleep med they could use and it doesn't work. He has to take 15mg of melatonin to just fall asleep. I've been reading and have tried a few things but nothing seems to help. Since he was a baby he liked to be wrapped like a mummy so he can't move or be hugged tightly to fall asleep. He hurts people's feelings and doesn't care. His opinion is the only opinion and loves to argue. He also has some ocd symptoms and focuses on c we retain things to the point I don't let him play w them. He is also very emotional and gets upset easily and throws a tantrum. He plays w kids younger or older than him. He has a lot of acquaintances but not actual friends. Could he have a high functioning form of aspergers?
January 21st, 2014, 07:20 AM
My son is 8 and was diagnised w adhd wgen he was 4 then anxiety and then a sleep disorder. I feel like there is more going on. I know you aren't doctors but I'm looking for some opinions. I don't think he has adhd because he can sit all day and play with legos. He can focus on things he likes. Also the me da work for a couple months and then stop. He has extreme anxiety to where he sometimes hares himself for not being able to do things without getting into trouble. He does NOT sleep! He has been on every sleep med they could use and it doesn't work. He has to take 15mg of melatonin to just fall asleep. I've been reading and have tried a few things but nothing seems to help. Since he was a baby he liked to be wrapped like a mummy so he can't move or be hugged tightly to fall asleep. He hurts people's feelings and doesn't care. His opinion is the only opinion and loves to argue. He also has some ocd symptoms and focuses on c we retain things to the point I don't let him play w them. He is also very emotional and gets upset easily and throws a tantrum. He plays w kids younger or older than him. He has a lot of acquaintances but not actual friends. Could he have a high functioning form of aspergers?
January 27th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My 6 year old has Autism, a sensory processing disorder, and ADHD. We think she might also have an anxiety disorder. They just called her Autism :higher functioning," and haven't said anything more than that. She's just starting to communicate, and I wonder if they will change her diagnosis when she's fully talking to Aspergers.

She has always had insomnia. She woke up every 2 hours for the first 14 months of her life. The past few years we would put her to bed at 8, she'd fall asleep around midnight, and then she'd be up at 5! It was horrible. So the first week of school this year, we got her drugs. Clonidine. It's used to treat sleeplessness in ADHD kids. We don't care about her constantly moving during the day. That helps burn off her very limited and fatty menu of bread and cheese, pasta and cheese, and peanut butter. We just wanted more than 5 hours of sleep.

It is sooo much better now! She sleeps, we sleep, her sisters sleep. She also lost a lot of her pudge because she's not needing to eat all day to compensate for the lack of sleep. And she also started communicating more when she started getting more rest. We love it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search