What "quirks" do your kids have?

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MomToDom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
By quirks I just mean things that you feel aren't typical, whether good or bad.

My son can't stand for a door to be open. Any door. If he walks through a door he immediately has to shut it. He is also this way with cabinets, and even with working doors on his toy cars, etc.

He gets really stressed out when laid on his back.

He is terrified of someone elongating a vowel sound in a word on TV, (such as "oooooooh") but it usually only mildly stresses him out if someone does it in person.

From the time he was very small, he's always correctly held books the proper direction. He's always some how understood the direction they were supposed to be & has never held them upside down like I have seen other babies do.

At the park, he completely by-passes the playground equipment & runs & touches a specific tree.

He is terrified of the Monster Energy Drink logo.

He can't stand the tray being attached to the highchair when he's in it. He has to just be strapped in & have the highchair pulled up to the table. (This just recently started.)

He is obsessed with numbers since he learned to count from 1-10 a few weeks ago. He gets absolutely ecstatic when someone counts, so much so that sometimes he starts shaking with excitement.

What about your kid(s)?
Jintana likes this.
February 8th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Some of your son's funny fears are very much like my son's.

He has become very rigid about TV shows and won't have the sound on for any children's show, we are not sure what the reason is for that really.

He is frightened of any toy that talks.

He is obsessed with toilets and will tell any captive audience all about the location of all the toilets at Chester Zoo, his favourite place to go, and all the toilets in school.

I'll have to think if there are any more.

February 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My son likes to go in specific directions. Even it it's pitch dark outside, he will get mad if you don't make that specific turn.

A.J loves heights (and falling!). He likes to stand at the edge of a table and lean forward. His balance is AMAZING! (Gives me a heart attack every time he does that!). He is also a fearless climber.

When A.J points, he likes to use his middle finger.

When we are shopping and he is in the cart, he does not like it when I stop. He also likes to lean back and stare at the lights on the ceiling. And he gets really upset when I go into the clothes isle! lol *typical man!*

As for as I know, A.J is not afraid hardly anything other then the car wash.. He is FEARLESS when it comes to danger.. I have a feeling my little daredevil is going to be a handful.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 9th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
February 9th, 2012, 06:37 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
My baby has some quirks...

She doesn't like to be in a room where she can't see the entrance. Someone entering a room makes her jump. She startles every single time. She has taken to using the upstairs bathroom so people can't walk by while she is in there.

She will not close a door behind herself if she is alone. Its like pulling teeth to get her to use a public bathroom, or even a friends bathroom, alone.

Loud noises freak her out. She has recently started holding her ears in loud places, and for loud noises.

She jumps up and down and counts when she is upset or excited.

She plays teacher/school as soon as she gets in the car until her nerves are unfrazzled, that is major decompression for her. I believe she is repeating a lot of what she has digested that day..

And, there are many, many more...

..... ..
February 13th, 2012, 07:35 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden does the same thing in the stores - gets mad when the cart stops, and loves to lean way back and look up at the lights.

Food:
He MUST have a piece of fruit on the spoon when eating. And it must be on top, where it's visible. Otherwise, he'll put the spoon in his mouth, but complain about it as soon as it's in there.

He can spoon feed, but not finger feed. He has NEVER finger fed. Just recently figured out he could pick up a piece of fruit in one hand and place it ontop the spoonful held in the other hand

Texture issues . . . all food must be cohesive/wet. Cannot tolerate dry foods.

Food must be anywhere from FROZEN to lukewarm. HATES food that is any warmer than lukewarm. Was the same way with freshly pumped breastmilk after trying refrigerated breast milk (at 3 months old???). . . after that it had to be cooled before he'd drink it. Loves frozen fruit. In fact, that's how I got him to learn to chew when he was a teething infant

Kid will NOT snack between meals, never has. Gets mad if you even offer him food between meals. They do a snack at preschool, and he sees all the other kids eat, but he will not. He will play with it, but NOT eat it. I don't want him to feel left out of an activity, but they are just wasting food . . .

Will let anybody but ME change his diaper. I don't do anything different, and I don't let him get away with his tantrums, but he fights ME every time, especially in public bathrooms - when he's with ME, he HATES the noise in public bathrooms -someone flushes a toilet or uses the hand dryer and he SCREAMS like it's the worst thing ever. He's just fine with everyone else.

Last edited by greenchild; February 13th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search