Emotions

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Butterbear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How does your child respond to other people's emotions? I find that Jonesy get's very very upset if he sees other people upset. If his little brother cries Jonesy cries even more. If he sees someone on TV crying or upset, he cries also. Does anyone else experience this? I had heard that children with autism usually have a problem reading other's emotions so it surprises me that he reacts so strongly.
February 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Daniel gets very upset and concerned if he sees a child crying when we are out. We have to give him a lot of reassurance and tell him that the child's mum/dad/grandparent is there to look after them and they will be ok. He has so much trouble dealing with his own emotions, I guess this is just an extension of that.

February 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nathan does that too and I found it really odd for the same reasons. I can remember many times "fake" crying and Nate immediately started to cry tears and all he would put up his hand and then scream "no!!!"

He has gotten much better. He just turned 5. I really think it was a positive thing. I still use it a lot still. He is a perfectionist to the OCD degree and will flip out if he scribbles outside the line or doesn't cut a perfect circle etc. I will be "sad" if he flips out and screams. To get my smile and happy face he needs to complete the task without screaming. I don't care what it looks like. We practice saying "its good enough, its no big deal". He just needs to relax and not be so OCD perfectionist about stuff.

I think it's good that he is in tune to others emotions. I think it is easier to tune the emotion response down than to try to create something that isn't there.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

February 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Alex does the same thing, which I too found to be weird. And he too also has gotten better about it as he has gotten older.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
February 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Butterbear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is very reassuring- I am glad Jonesy is not the only one since I found it so strange. I have taken to reassuring him as much as I can and hope that as he gets older and understands people a little better the response won't be as strong for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search