Educational Diagnosis

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AlexKatieAiden Mommy
  • 2 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Angela85's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all, sorry I've been MIA! I have no real excuse, I just haven't been on in awhile. I hope everyone is well!

So we haven't gotten an official diagnosis of Autism for Keith, he was able to get services without it so we just hadn't done it. It was very obvious to me that he had it though. The preschool he's at (an Autism unit through the district) wanted to do testing to give him an "educational" diagnosis. Basically it's not a medical diagnosis, but it's done through the school psychologist and others (like speech pathologist) to have a diagnosis for his file.

We went in today to discuss it. They diagnosed Autism which I was prepared for. What I wasn't prepared for was how low functioning they tested him as, and the fact that based on the IQ test he has mental retardation. His IQ tested at 53 and anything below 70 is mental retardation. That was tough. I seriously had no idea, he doesn't seem that low. Fortunately she said she thinks a big part of this is how delayed his speech and communication is. She said she honestly doesn't think it's quite that low. They'll test him again in 3 years (or before that if we request), and she said she can't say for sure but she wouldn't be surprised if it was higher then once he has more speech.

Anyways, I just felt like getting this all off my chest to people who get it. So thanks.

March 15th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
{Hugs}

March 15th, 2012, 06:21 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
(((HUGS))) I have been there too. Alex used to test alot lower than he actually was because of communication delays too. He now tests quite high, now that he is caught up with his speech. Hang in there.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
March 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I agree - speech has a huge impact on IQ scores. IQ tests are very verbal in nature, so I imagine the score will look quite different in a few years. Parents are usually a better judge of how well their children will do than an IQ test is, anyway. If it seems low to you, it almost certainly is. I wouldn't worry about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search