consern around not talking right at 18 month

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By laisydaisymama
  • 3 Post By forest

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2012, 05:09 AM
icesfire's Avatar Regular
hi all I just wand to a Public health for the normal 18 month shot last month and there was this sheet I need to feel out to check Mya development and after doing the talking ported the Public health say she need to go to speak testing. The ask my q that don't make any sent to expected a 18 month old to do. The ask me if she was:

1)saying 30 words other then mom and dad.
2) specking in full sentinels like "we are going for a walk" or "Can we go for a walk"

because I say no there saying she not talking right and is Developmental delay. Am I just nuts thanking my child is normal for 18 month old should she real be talking in Full sentinels at this point. My older don't and no other mom with a 18 month old I know say they child was. I'm asking here because some off you have all ready go those this. What is normal at 18 month for talking.
March 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
These are the milestones I could find for an 18 month old..
Speech Milestones in Child Development
13-18 months:
•Looks for hidden objects
•Points or gestures to communicate or identify needs
•Talks in single words, often omits some initial consonants and almost all final consonants
•Uses echolalia and jargon
•Has 3-20 words (mostly nouns) in expressive vocabulary
•Receptively identify 1-3 body parts
•Follows simple directions
19-24 months:
•Uses words more frequently than jargon
•Has an expressive vocabulary of 50 to 100 words
•Has a receptive vocabulary or 300 or more words
•Starts to combine nouns and verbs
•Begins to use pronouns
•Is approximately 25-50% intelligible to strangers
•Names a few familiar objects
•Identifies 5-6 body parts on a doll
•Begins to understand adjectives in phrases

Your 18-month-old's language and cognitive development: Speaking loud and clear | BabyCenter
At a year and a half, most children speak a dozen words (or more) clearly. Besides "Mama" and "Dada," favorite words include "bye-bye," "milk," "cookie," "car," "oh!," and "my." Many 18-month-old toddlers can also link two words together to form rudimentary sentences — sentences without linking verbs or other connecting words. She may say "All gone," "Want ball," or "Me up."

Your 18-month-old probably still does a lot of babbling in imitation of the adult conversations she hears. With increasing frequency, though, you'll hear clear words in the midst of the chattering. (If your child can't say at least two words by now, be sure to mention it to her caregiver at her next well-child visit; your caregiver may wish to test her hearing or have a speech pathologist do an evaluation.)

In my opinion she is doing just fine but if they offer her speech therapy it couldn't hurt anything to do the therapy.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
March 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the info AlexKatieAiden Mommy and yes I no it will not hurt anything to have them look into it but sine Speech therapy has a 8 month wait as it is I don't know I just thank the wait time would be shorter for the little one that real need it if Poblic health with just step saying that child at 18 month need to talk inf full sentences. Anyway it is what is so I'll hang out here and learn what a can from you more exasperated mom just in case I need it.
March 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
is this for real? because it looks very familiar.
HeartHelloKitty and sfarrow3 like this.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
You should talk Audiesmommy. I know she was going through the exact same thing with her daughter.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
March 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a daughter who is now 26 months and is only now beginning to speak in sentences. Every child is different but i would go ahead with whatever the professionals suggest, it can't hurt.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES
March 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
laisydaisymama, Yes this is real sorry if some ask the same question before I don't know this is my first day on the site.

forest, who is Audiesmommy? I don't know anyone her yet as this is my first day. Is there a way to search for people here so I can try to talk with her?

Fae*Aibell I am going to have the test done yes Hopefully before next baby come a long. I'm 5 week 4 day prego and the waiting list is 8 month long.
March 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello and Welcome..

I agree.. Further testing wouldn't hurt..

One thing I learned about Public help.. There's always a wait time and age isn't really a factor, but having a medical diagnosis can open more doors. You can see if your insurance would cover a private Speech Therapist.. It might speed up the process..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 20th, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
March 21st, 2012, 04:08 AM
Adriana's Mommy,

Thank you for the welcome. I live in pei Canada here there is only one offices for Speech Therapist so I will have to wait it out. I was talking with my mom the other night about this she say that I was saying about the same amended of word at her age. I don't grow up with a Speech problem but I do have a learning disability so ever one may be right for me to wait it out in see.

Is it o.k. I hand out with you all well I wait?
March 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I understand..

Of course welcome to hang out.. I'm still waiting to start my son's specialized therapy.. Still learning all the lingo,etc..

April 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome to the board.

It sounds like your daughter is doing just fine to me, but if it was me I'd take the speech therapy anyway, as you've been offered and it certainly won't do her any harm. Feel free to stick around here in case they raise anything else and you need help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search