Eye patching

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Katie has a lazy eye which usually only wonders when she is tired and hasn't been an issue until now. She is seen every 6 months by her opthomologist and everything has been fine, its not messing with her vision and isn't happening more than 50% of the time. Now its messing with her reading. Basically what's happening is when she is reading her one eye starts to wonder, which causes her to not be able to focus and then she starts rubbing it and it starts watering and hurting. I called the opthomologist and he suggested that we try patching, and see how she is doing in 6 weeks. Basically we will put a patch on her right eye one day for four hours than on the next day we will patch her left eye, and so on...
She seems excited to wear it and hopefully that will continue once we start using it. I plan to put an adhesive patch under a pirate looking one. Any one have to do this with their child and how did it go?
I was looking at patches online and honestly they are not that expensive but I figured I would try to make one myself. Here is how it turned out.....

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
April 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It's really cute, Linda! Hope it works out for her!

April 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Seamus was 4 when we first started patching him. We tried with the adhesive one first and he would sweat it off. Then we went with one that slides over his glasses lens, which he just took his glasses off. Now, since October 2010 he has been having to have his good eye dialated to blur it out to force him to use his weak/lazy eye. Close to 2yrs later we've seen an improvement, but he's still dialated once a week (was 5x's a week at the begining) and theres worries once we stop it will weaken again. We were first told that if the drops didn't work after 6months they would just do the eye surgery to correct it, but the fact that Dh's dad had the surgery 3 times and it failed they didn't want to jump into that with Seamus.

I hope the patching works for your LO, its a cute patch

April 28th, 2012, 08:05 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
This very same thing is why Autumn has vision issues in school. We finally found a doctor (after two surgeries) who suggested minimum strength reading glasses. They relax the eyes and muscles, and allow her to focus. They haven't fixed the problem, but she certainly has an easier time reading. You can also get her larger print, and the strain will be less. Sorry she has to deal with that, it has been a horrible struggle for us.

..... ..
April 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Thanks for the reply's. I did buy the adhesive one's today since she keeps moving the patch while she is doing things so it isn't doing any good even doing the patch. They only had the ugly bandaid looking one's at the store so I plan on using the adhesive's (if they stay on) with the one I made her over it. Plus I think I will purchase one or two more so she has a little variety and that might help her continue to want to wear it. I hope this does the trick. The next option is surgery and there is no guarantee with that either.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search