Auditory processing disorder

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AutumnLove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
adi&co.
anybody have an experience with this?

I've known something else was wrong with Marcus for awhile. He had his tongue tie clipped in early March and everybody kept telling me "oh you'll be amazed, he'll catch up so fast" and blah blah blah but there was always a nagging thing in the back of my mind that there was something else causing his speech to be SO delayed.

I was talking with his speech therapist the other day and asking her if she thought he had autism (he's been showing a few signs) and she said she didn't think he did, that he was acting more like a kid showing early signs of APD. I went home and looked it up a bit and it sounds SO MUCH like Marcus!

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? If so, can you give me some insight on things to look out for or look into that could help him?
May 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
My child doesn't have it, she has a visual processing disorder, totally different. But I did work with a child who had Autism and a major part of it was APD. The first thing I would do is look into some free apps to help with that. You can also look into PECS. That's how people communicate schedules, and such to children with this type of disorder, and also to children with Autism. A lot of times you see them go hand in hand, so don't be put off if you see the Autism label there. Sometimes, its not about the label, its just about getting help.

You can use this for schedules, social stories, etc.. Hope that helps!
Adriana's Mommy and adi&co. like this.

..... ..
May 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont know much about them, there is a girl in my sons class with both..After talking to her mother on a field trip she pretty much explained to me that they took the autism disorder diagnosis along with APD to help with services..

Does he use a picture system?

Thanks brie_91
May 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM
adi&co.
He can talk so he doesn't need a picture system. it's just broken sentences. He has a really hard time following instructions without being shown first and sometimes you have to repeat yourself quite a few times before something he's heard before will sink in. Do it visually though and he picks it up without you even showing him. He's only just now started answering WH questions. for example if I ask what he did at school he'll say things like, "Watch a movie.... in the class.... it was dark". Or "Hitted a pinata, picked up a candy" He was tested for Autism and while he had a few autistic tendencies, he scored extremely low and they said he didn't have it and just put him into speech.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search