help with autism

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By AlexKatieAiden Mommy
  • 2 Post By AutumnLove
  • 1 Post By Adriana's Mommy
  • 1 Post By Adriana's Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 04:27 AM
**Nicole**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hello my name is Nicole and my husband is Geoffrey , I have two children Emily (3)and Joshua(almost 2). We are pretty much a normal family. So here is the background on what I have been dealing with, my mom around Christmas told me she was worried about my son Joshua because he has not started talking, he played by himself the whole time, never cuddled and you try to cuddle him it would be this mental down. I already had my worries before going down but thought I was just being a worried mother, and you all I am sure know what I mean. As of right now he still has 0 words at almost two he will copy what someone says but wonít say one word on his own ever, not even mommy or daddy. (and thatís a downer because I would love to hear him say one ) he wont point at things if he wants something, he never asks to be picked up, he does not even like to be touched at all, he has this thing where he will stand in one spot and shack up and down where his hands go nuts and he shakes his head, so all his body parts are going in different ways, (this is the best way to tell you what I mean but it still is one of these thing you have to be there to see it to really understand) he never plays with anyone else not even me its like he is off in his own little world. If I donít keep to things at the same time every day by bed time its like a battle just to get him in bed, he acts deaf and never response to his name or even acts like we are talking to him. He is fearless he will climb everywhere and anywhere not even to get anything just to do it. He has never hit a milestone on time rolling crawling walking was late and now speech is so late its not funny. Like I know kids talk when they want but there is no communication in any way what so ever. This is all so scary and new.

we went to see someone about our fears and we were told that even she was very worried by the way he was in the doctorís office and because of all the red flags were there. I know that its best to have more than just the parents there as sometimes a grandmother or grandfather may see things we donít or could give any more details to it, so my grandmother was there to. She feels that it could be either Asperger syndrome or autism. She told us to start looking into support groups and we will get a call for more testing but that she thinks it that as she normally is able to say right away no your child does not have autism or that itís something other than autism but she could not do that for us. This scares me because then she went into how it wonít change the way we love him (well duh) and that there is so much support out there and I am a good mom for picking up on this as we can help him out better now than if I waited.

So to end this for now as I donít know itís just so fresh and I am trying to work on finding more detail and just wrap my head around it and understand as what does this mean, what am I going to have to do to help him live a life like Emilyís ? I love my son it wonít change no matter what happens my life goal is to make sure both my children grow up and have the best life I can give them.
May 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Nicole! You've come to right place, this is a great group of mom's.
I was like you, I had my concerns about my son but it wasn't until someone else said something that I started looking into autism and what it is, my son was diagnosed when he was 3.5 years old.
From what you put in your post, your son does have alot of red flags for autism but only a qualified professional can make the diagnosis. It is really great that you are seeking help while your son is so young, it will make a huge difference. Shortly after my son was diagnosed he started speech and sensory integration therapy (OT) and it made so much difference. He went from only doing echolia (copying what others say) to speaking in full sentences and once his sensory issues were under control he was able to attend to what we were trying to teach him which made learning so much easier.

" he has this thing where he will stand in one spot and shack up and down where his hands go nuts and he shakes his head, so all his body parts are going in different ways"
I'm guessing this is sensory seeking behavior (he craves sensory input so is doing this to get the input he needs).

The best place to start because he is under 3, is birth to 3 (sometimes called early intervention or first steps or something similar), you can call your local school and they can point you in the right direction. They will come out and assess your son and provide therapy if needed. Sometimes the wait list can be a little long though, and they cannot give you a diagnosis.

"what am I going to have to do to help him live a life like Emilyís"
Your already doing it. Your getting him the help he needs before he gets more and more behind his peers. I used to have the same fear about what the future held for Alex, but he is now 7, in a regular classroom with minimal supports (doing school work that is a grade level above the grade he is in) and is doing remarkably well. When he was diagnosed I never in thought we would be where we are at today. Our kids are resilent and most of all, they can surprise us with how intelligent they are once they are able to communicate.

" I love my son it wonít change no matter what happens my life goal is to make sure both my children grow up and have the best life I can give them. "
That is the best attitude to have. You are a wonderful mother, never give up and don't just take what the doctors tell you your son will or will not do to heart, I know many people who were told their children would never be able to do this or that and guess what, the doctors were wrong!!

Feel free to ask any questions you have (we have all been there), vent or share. This group is great and we all understand.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
I definitely agree that your first step is to get an in depth evaluation. You have the right attitude, and your family will do fine moving forward. I hope that you get all the help you need.

I would look into sensory input for sensory seekers. There are a lot of ways that you can help him with that need.

..... ..
May 1st, 2012, 09:27 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello.. I'm Melissa and my 2 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with Autism 4 months ago.. My son sounds a lot like yours, different in some ways though. He did not speak before the age of two. I'm not to sure how your state works, but if you go to support groups you can ask other moms what steps they took.. I know in my state, it's different.. I refused to do the "normal" route.. I had to go around them to get where A.J is now.. He is on the speedy train verses the slow train for services.. It was a battle but worth it..

It is over whelming but what you feel is completely normal.. Good news though.. If you get him the help now and start with early intervention.. You/ therapists will be able to teach him how to deal with his issues in a short period of time so he can live a normal life. Better to catch it now then when he is older and set in his ways.

Here are the tests we did to get A.J's diagnosis. So if they throw these terms at you, you'll know what they are talking about..

1st step: BSID
Bayley Scales of Infant Development: Definition from Answers.com

2nd step: Autism Screen through the Infant toddler program

3rd step: MChat
https://m-chat.org/

4th step: ADOS given by a child Psychologist
Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule: ADOS (W-365)

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 1st, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
May 1st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Here's a video that helped me.. Talking about early intervention,etc.

Diagnosis Autism - YouTube

Ignore the comments on the page.. Just people giving their crazy opinions..

May 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
"AlexKatieAiden Mommy
he has this thing where he will stand in one spot and shack up and down where his hands go nuts and he shakes his head, so all his body parts are going in different ways"
I'm guessing this is sensory seeking behavior (he craves sensory input so is doing this to get the input he needs).

The best place to start because he is under 3, is birth to 3 (sometimes called early intervention or first steps or something similar), you can call your local school and they can point you in the right direction. They will come out and assess your son and provide therapy if needed. Sometimes the wait list can be a little long though, and they cannot give you a diagnosis.

i wrote this replay and i don't know what happened but i will do it again lol.

i have called and since then (one of the numbers the doctor gave us) they have been out and have ordered josh to have a speech and OT therapist both will come out once a week he also has a resource teacher coming every two weeks. we got a few numbers for the support groups in my area we also were given a number for a parenting class that will help us out (she kept saying its not because we need it as in we are bad parents but that it may help us learn different way to deal with stuff). she also got to watch josh eat and him stuffing his mouth she says is a sign of sensory seeking behavior.
thank you

1st step: BSID
Bayley Scales of Infant Development: Definition from Answers.com

2nd step: Autism Screen through the Infant toddler program

3rd step: MChat
https://m-chat.org/

4th step: ADOS given by a child Psychologist
Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule: ADOS (W-365)

thank you for the web sites i will read them all but if we are going for the diagnostic on the 22nd what step would we be on. so i know what to read most of if you know what i mean
May 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
" she also got to watch josh eat and him stuffing his mouth she says is a sign of sensory seeking behavior."

Alex still does this to this day and I keep thinking one of these days he is going to choke on his food, but he never does. Alex used to chew on everything and anything. He chewed the collars off his shirts, the zippers off his jackets, all his toys, etc. I ended up buying him a chewy tube and that did wonders for his need to chew (sensory seeking behavior). Just this past fall he suddenly stopped the chewing, I am still trying to figure out what changed that he didn't need to chew anymore but am grateful that he no longer needs chewy tubes and doesn't mouth everything.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKatieAiden Mommy View Post
" she also got to watch josh eat and him stuffing his mouth she says is a sign of sensory seeking behavior."

Alex still does this to this day and I keep thinking one of these days he is going to choke on his food, but he never does. Alex used to chew on everything and anything. He chewed the collars off his shirts, the zippers off his jackets, all his toys, etc. I ended up buying him a chewy tube and that did wonders for his need to chew (sensory seeking behavior). Just this past fall he suddenly stopped the chewing, I am still trying to figure out what changed that he didn't need to chew anymore but am grateful that he no longer needs chewy tubes and doesn't mouth everything.
omg i did not even think about that he loves chewing. mostly books all emily books have to be replaced because of him chewing them when she left them in her room where he could get them and we were all upstairs so i was letting them room around from bedroom to bedroom and i found him chewing, then she kept throwing them in his place pen when i was in the kitchen. and why does he love his play pen so much he will stand at the side of it wanting in and will sit in there happy for hours. he can get out safely but cant get into it. he will get out when i bring food into the room and run to his chair but then wants right back into it. i never really used it for much but toys then i put him in it and he was like crazy about the thing now no toys can be in it only his pillow and then he wants the pillow and walks around with it
May 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my son loved chewing, i got him a chewable jewel worked great. routine is a big goal with all children. you will get through this to the next step, my prayers are with you and him

May 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_nico View Post
my son loved chewing, i got him a chewable jewel worked great. routine is a big goal with all children. you will get through this to the next step, my prayers are with you and him
thank you
May 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Nicole** View Post
"what step would we be on. so i know what to read most of if you know what i mean
I'm not an expert.. But my guess is your at the first step. Just remember, it's a slow process. I use to think it would be quick to start up services. I was wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search