Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders
Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.
We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Alex has been needing a new weighted blanket, the one he has now I bought when he was 3.5 years old, he is now 7. Its only 5lbs and doesn't help as much as it used to. So I went in search of a weighted blanket to find that the cheapest one I could find that was 15 lbs was still well over $100. But then I came across a blog that had pretty simple steps on making a weighted blanket and since I have a sewing machine (someone gave it to me over a year ago and I never even plugged it in to see if it worked) I decided I would try to make a blanket and if worse came to worse I would just end up buying one.
So I set out to the craft store after my mom came over and showed me how to work the sewing maching, to get the supplies. The fabric only cost me $10 and the border was around $5. I already had thread, needles and pins so I didn't need those. For the weight I ended up using an old workout vest that I had (no idea where I got it but I had it) that had one pound weights in it. I broke open the weights and there was crushed stone/sand inside so I divided each of those into around 3 (5 oz) and 48 sandwich bags later I had 15 lbs.
I sewed around 3 edges of the blanket than made 6 columns going vertically, I added in 1 weight per column than sewed horizontally over the weighted baggies, I kept doing this until all 48 baggies were inside 48 squares in the blanket. Than I just added the border. It took a day and a half but in the end was worth it. It only cost me $15 to make and saved me over a hundred. Here are some pics.