New diagnosis

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By adi&co.
  • 1 Post By AlexKatieAiden Mommy
  • 1 Post By AutumnLove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
...::Tiffany::...'s Avatar ~*Ginger*~
Hi, ladies! I used to be really active here on the siggy board, but it's been quite a while. My son JUST got diagnosed with a developmental disorder and I'm sort of at a loss and feeling confused and overwhelmed, so I thought I'd pop in and make a nest here?

My name is Tiffany (obviously lol) and my son, Landon, is 5 and getting ready to start kindergarten. He was just diagnosed with Asperger's and ADHD (But the dr. said he may grow out of the ADHD).

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of information on the web and I wanted to know if there was any good way of narrowing it down. This summer I plan to work with him on some sensory stuff, attention and eye contact, listening skills, and social turn-taking. The dr. mentioned social curriculum to me and sensory diets, but didn't elaborate very much. Any information or if any of you could point me in a direction?

I know I'm grabbing at straws here for knowledge, but I don't know what else to do. I really look forward to sticking around and having a bit of a support system here.
May 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
adi&co.
hi and welcome! I'm Adi, mom to Marcus who we think has Auditory Processing Disorder, Jamesen who was just diagnosed with Asperger's and Gemma.

I don't have much info since mine was only just diagnosed with Asperger's as well, but I wanted to give you a welcome!
May 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello and welcome.. My name is Melissa and I have two children, Adriana 4 and Anthony (A.J) who is 2. What your feeling is what I'm still going through. There is so much out there it's over whelming.

My two year old was recently diagnosed with Autistic Disorder. I would suggest looking into support groups in your area.. If you know anyone who is familiar with working with children with special needs, get as much information as you can out of them. They may have some good techniques to show you.

If Intensive Behavior Intervention (also called IBI) is in your area, I would HIGHLY suggest getting him into that therapy.. It consists of one on one therapy with a IBI therapist. They go to your home, school, out in the community.. This will help you learn techniques and stuff to do to help your son..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 17th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
May 17th, 2012, 11:38 AM
adi&co.
look into your school system. they should have some programs for him as well. I'm pretty sure all school systems are required to at least assess your kid.
hadavis likes this.
May 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience with the Asperbergs part but my six year old has ADHD and it really affects his schoolwork so we went through the evaluation process at school. It was a little bit of a nightmare, though, because it seems as though no one wants to volunteer any information on what to do! We wasted so much of the year because we kept getting passed from person to person but no one told us what we needed to do :/ But now that he has his IEP in place, things are so much better!
May 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I second the school system. Thats where we first looked into and the progress that has been made there has been amazing! Welcome!

Thanks brie_91
May 18th, 2012, 06:36 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Tiffany!!! I am Linda, mommy to Alex(7), Katie (6) and Aiden (3). Alex was diagnosed with classic autism when he was 3.5.

My first suggestion would be to find a local support group, they are going to be your biggest source of information regarding services in your area. I found one at Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup. Second would be to see if you can find a place that provides therapy for children and see if they have occuptional therapists that do sensory integration therapy.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 18th, 2012, 06:38 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
My daughter is six years old, has Asperger's, as well as some other disorders such as ADD, mild OCD, and Dyslexia. The first thing I did when I realized there was an issue was request an eval through the school district. When the eval was finished, and they could see on paper how she needed to learn I presented them with our diagnosis. They gave us therapies they thought she would benefit from, and they also have modifications in class to improve her work style. Because of certain vision deficits she has a 1:1 aide all day as well. She has a slanted board, and a weighted vest for the classroom.

At home, we have a weighted blanket, a scooter board, a balance board, we do home work in a sensory seeking fashion (drawing her words in the sand, etc..), take a lot of breaks, and on and on.. She has begun to realize what she needs to do if something "excites" her and she is beginning to take action. She will go upstairs to potty since her little sister walking in downstairs "freaks" her out.

When Autumn was diagnosed it was extremely difficult to figure out. She is a girl, and girl Aspies are so different from boys. I spent weeks upon weeks researching and finding out as much as I could about Asperger's in girls. I don't know a lot about boys on this part of the spectrum. I do know that I am sure he speaks very well, but may not make a lot of sense? That was Autumn. You may want to make sure he gets an in depth eval for speech, where they cover pragmatics, that is the usual place where Aspie's need help in language.

That was long...sorry! I hope it helped.

BTW--Welcome!! I hope you stay around.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

..... ..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search