Exciting news!!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Adriana's Mommy
  • 1 Post By AlexKatieAiden Mommy
  • 1 Post By adi&co.
  • 1 Post By SandKmommy
  • 1 Post By SandKmommy
  • 1 Post By Adriana's Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm so excited.. My son is FINALLY due to start IBI in a week!!

After weeks of advocating, road blocks, denials, questions, appointments, lines,waiting and waiting.. We are finally there.. I didn't think this day would come..

I just had to share my good news.. I'm so happy right now.

May 19th, 2012, 08:33 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
That is so great Melissa!!! I remember how excited I was when Alex started ABA therapy and that was a little over 2 years ago, wow how time flies. We have sacrificed alot for therapy (he has to get 20 + hours a week to keep his funding and that is not easy when he is in school full time) but I would do it over a million times for the amount of progress Alex has made in every area over the past two years. And we had to wait 8 months to get off the waitlist for therapy!! Thankfully you and AJ didn't have to wait that long and he will be starting therapy and you will see how much of a difference therapy makes.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM
adi&co.
yay that's so awesome! so happy for you! can't wait till we make it there!
May 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Thats great! Ours took a couple months to get going too. Hopefully AJ can get his full time/hours, Seamus is only getting 17/18 instead of 22 due to staffing and he's got 3 different therapists inorder to try to get that many hours. Too bad AJ doesnt' go to the same building as Seamus or maybe we'd run into eachother one day

May 21st, 2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks ladies.. I'm still so happy.

Linda - I can't imagine waiting on a waiting list for 8 months. I only waited 4 1/2 months and that was stressful. There isn't a wait list for IBI, since it's run by a private organization, but there are steps to take to get there.. But it was worth it all.. I've seen remarkable improvement since he started developmental preschool.. I can't wait to see how well he does when we start IBI.. Also, it will help me as well.. Having the therapist in our home, I will learn so much by watching and learning different techniques to keep A.J happy and most importantly therapy going 24/7.. How did you manage school? I'm not looking forward to that stage. Luckily, A.J is a late Oct baby, so he'll start school later then normal age and I'll have help from family.. I honestly don't know if I could do it alone since I work 10 1/2 hour shifts.

Justine - Bummer we never get to see each other. One of these days we will The plan is for 22 hours a week. He has two IBI therapists, A.J case is a bit different since he is under 3 years old.. He has to have special qualified IBI therapist.. Infant Toddler program had to approve the IBI therapist before we could even begin therapy. Took about 2 months for the therapist to be approved.. When he turns three years old, he'll phase into the school system but still receive the same IBI services.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 21st, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
May 21st, 2012, 08:20 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
"Linda - I can't imagine waiting on a waiting list for 8 months. I only waited 4 1/2 months and that was stressful. There isn't a wait list for IBI, since it's run by a private organization, but there are steps to take to get there.. But it was worth it all.. I've seen remarkable improvement since he started developmental preschool.. I can't wait to see how well he does when we start IBI.. Also, it will help me as well.. Having the therapist in our home, I will learn so much by watching and learning different techniques to keep A.J happy and most importantly therapy going 24/7.. How did you manage school? I'm not looking forward to that stage. Luckily, A.J is a late Oct baby, so he'll start school later then normal age and I'll have help from family.. I honestly don't know if I could do it alone since I work 10 1/2 hour shifts."

8 months was nothing, when we first got on the wait list for the state funded ABA, the waitlist was 1.5 to 2 years, so I was excited that we got to start earlier than expected. There is no waitlist for the actual ABA therapy since it too is run by private organizations, but the funding is what we had to wait on.
But he did start speech and OT (with sensory integration therapy) within 3 months of being diagnosed, both of which were a huge help. And then he started school which was great too!! Alex's ABA therapy is home based so they come here which is great, this is what our schedule looks like now with him going to school full time...
Mon-Fri
6 am - morning therapist comes
7:40 am - we leave to go to school
3:15ish - he comes home on the bus
3:30 pm - his afternoon therapist comes
6:30 pm - he is finally done with therapy for the day
8 pm - bed time to start it all again the next day
He has weekends off of everything, so I try not to plan to much stuff just to give him a break, and I let him do what he wants to do for the most part.
As I said it has been a huge sacrifice to continue therapy, not only for him but for my other two kids as well. We miss out on so much because of being stuck at home for therapy but it all has been so worth it. Alex has come so far since starting therapy in Jan 2010. His summer schedule looks alot better, he will only have therapy Mon-Wed 8am-3ish and then Thurs morning from 8-noon. Than he will have Fri, Sat, and Sun off.
Than next fall we will have the option of stepping down a tier to only 6-10 hours of therapy a week since he will move to the post-intensive part of the program he is in come Dec anyways. Post intensive will run until he is 18 or doesn't need it anymore, and is 6-10 hours of therapy a week or we can decide to do other things with the funds.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKatieAiden Mommy View Post
Mon-Fri
6 am - morning therapist comes
7:40 am - we leave to go to school
3:15ish - he comes home on the bus
3:30 pm - his afternoon therapist comes
6:30 pm - he is finally done with therapy for the day
8 pm - bed time to start it all again the next day
This helpped me some (sorry to semi thread jack Melissa )

Right now Seamus gets on the bus at 8:20 I pick him up at 11:40 then Tues-Thurs he goes to IBI (Center based, they don't do work at the home) from 12:15-5pm, Mondays 2:45-5pm. He used to have OT from 2-2:45 on Monday's till they dropped him once he hit 50% for his age. We're trying to figure out what to do next year when he goes to school from 8:20 (on bus, school 8:50) till 3:10(school done, off bus at 3:40).

Melissa are you going to send A.J. to the KinderCenter when he's in Kinder or are you keeping him at the Montessori? The KinderCenter has a few different schedules you can choose from that may help more.
AM Session
(this is the one Seamus is on)
Monday through Friday, 8:55 am to 11:40 am

PM Session
Monday through Friday, 12:20 pm to 3:05pm

M,W,Th Session
Monday, 8:55 am to 3:05 pm
Wednesday, 8:55 am to 11:30 am
Thursday, 8:55 am to 3:05 pm
T,W,F Session
Tuesday, 8:55 am to 3:05 pm
Wednesday, 12:20 pm to 3:05 pm
Friday, 8:55 am to 3:05 pm

But if they are in the morning session they have to be picked up at 11:40 by someone, and if in the afternoon they have to be dropped off (no busses run in the afternoon time frame)

Last edited by SandKmommy; May 21st, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
May 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Linda - Wow, you have a busy day.. But like you said, the sacrifice is worth it. Sounds like our set up is similiar to get therapy.. I'm just so thankful that there is opportunity for our kids to get this type of service.

Justine - No worries about the thread jacking.. I'm glad Linda's post was able to help you.. I'm surprised they don't do home therapy for Seamus. Is it something you didn't want? They do home visits (and out in the community) for A.J.

A.J will be going to regular school. I'm going to shoot for the morning schedule..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 25th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search