Appt with pediatrician today

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Daniel's appt today got up my nose a bit if truth be told. Sometimes the NHS properly sucks, but then I don't know what I'd do without it while I'm in such a state of flux employment-wise.

He's doing well at present, his social development has been coming on leaps and bounds and academically he's doing great apart from his Maths. He still has his intense fears, anxieties and rigidities though. The pediatrician commented that the next step for those is cognitive behavioural therapy and he's too young for that, it's something she could refer him for towards the end of primary school - other than that we are doing all we can for him in terms of avoidance of fear objects, then trying gradual exposure and play/non-threatening scenarios intermittently.

She suggested discharging him because there's nothing more for her to do at present. This made me mad because up to now it has seemed like one appointment we have had all good news but then the next we have hit a new wall and had to ask advice about it. I pointed that out to her, and she said we could go to an annual appt and then I can phone for an earlier one if we are having problems before that. It's annoying that they're trying to offload patients, I don't want to go through the whole GP referral process again next time we hit a wall. Autism is a lifelong thing, after all.

Daniel was also a little hyper today for some reason. We think he just got himself worked up about the appointment, and then they were running behind and he had to wait awhile. He isn't normally hyper at all, in fact he's been very mild for a long time. She picked up on this and mentioned about AD/HD and "medications" that can be given if hyperactivity affects learning etc. My back went up straight away. For one thing he does not have AD/HD. He isn't normally like that at all! For another thing even if he did have AD/HD it would take a LOT of persuasion for me to medicate him, in fact I would not even consider it unless school was threatening to exclude him otherwise, and even then I would probably try to negotiate whether I could homeschool with his dad (who is opposed to homeschooling, but also opposed to medicating him) before doing it. So I said well I might as well lay the cards on the table here, I would take a LOT of persuading to put my son on medication. I would rather try dietary methods first. Then she was all "oh I was only saying it was an option if he needs it in the future" etc. Yeah right.

Still, I'm probably just snappy because I'm 38wks pregnant and uncomfortable, and at the end of the day he is doing well and progressing with his social skills so I really can't let little annoyances get me down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search