Interesting snippet about Asperger's

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AutumnLove
  • 1 Post By AutumnLove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
So I was told today by Daniel's pediatrician that they are gradually doing away with the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, over here in the UK at least.

She said it has become quite confused over the years with high-functioning autism, and that originally Asperger's was assessed on very specific criteria including having had no language delay at an early age, or in fact an accelerated vocabulary at an early age. So they're doing away with the term altogether.

We asked about it because we both feel he is more Asperger's than autistic, due to comparisons with other children we have known in education (I'm a teacher and Daniel's dad is a school DT/IT technician). But Daniel did have language delay at 2-3 so under the original criteria he would still be classed as HFA.

Interesting how things change....It does sort of make me worry that in the future things will change more, and more, and we will no longer be able to get the support we do now for Daniel.

Anyone else heard of this development happening anywhere else? (We are in the north-west of the UK).

July 31st, 2012, 08:56 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
I read about this. I was a little concerned until I read what the new criteria for the Autism diagnosis will be, she still qualifies. I don't think I will have to do much to get hers changed. I am sure their doctors will just change their charts if they still meet the standards.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

..... ..
July 31st, 2012, 11:35 AM
I do hope you're right. I know that Daniel couldn't function at school without his current level of support (1:1 in class and on playground).

July 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
I would imagine that he would get services for his troubles, not solely based on the diagnosis. We got most services before her diagnosis, and then they added Speech after. Hopefully its the same for you and Daniel.
Jintana likes this.

..... ..
August 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I heard about this too.. In my area, diagnosis is what gets you IBI therapy through the state, at least from 2-6 years old. . Since my son has Autistic Disorder, his services will not be affected..

August 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
i heard about this also, but Caleb has a diagnosis of autism/moderate so it did not effect us yet, but our doctors are leaning toward saying ethan has aspergers so i really do wonder if this will change the amount of help we can get for him especially since we already get very little help

August 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
They're doing away with Asperger's in the DSM-V. But the whole language delay thing is indeed cloudy - Tristan had WORDS at the proper age(s) but he did not use them to request or converse. He definitely has a language delay. He probably has a bigger vocabulary than typical almost 4 year olds, though. Not that it matters - he was diagnosed so early that they never could tell us what his level of functioning was.

August 11th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they are planning to change it here in Ireland aswell Sharron and my boys won't be known to have Aspergers anymore they will be classed as having ASD instead. I do have concerns about this change but will have to wait and learn more about it before i know if im happy with it or not. I don't think its gonna happen for a few years yet though.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES
August 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Daniel simply won't be tested for Asperger's now, as at one point they said they would. He will keep his diagnosis of HFA.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search