Daniel's going through it atm :( - HELP!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
He's struggling to cope now Michaela's been home a week and he has started to realise that so much of our time is taken up with looking after her. Last night he kept saying to his nanna that nobody loves him any more and he deliberately wet his bed because he wanted someone to change his bum. Things ARE very different because I normally take him out a lot and cannot drive or even walk very far at present.

Just to add to the general sibling rivalry stuff that I know many children go through and not just autistic or developmentally delayed children, he got pet fish for his birthday and sadly they both died - we believe, due to a faulty filter. I can't drive at present, and we probably won't get to the pet shop until Saturday as Shaun has appts to sort out his jobseeker's and signing on. I think he takes this as another sign that we don't care and has been bewailing the fact that he now has no pets.

And if that wasn't enough, his dad is now saying he's "ill" and unable to come and visit him and we suspect he will duck out of taking him on Saturday - the only bit of normality Daniel really gets right now - because of it. When I say "ill" I mean he has a bit of a bug, yknow the sort of thing most of us would just carry on through. He has no concept of how much Daniel needs him right now.

He also started back to school on Tuesday. So I mean, what a week for him.

We are already taking care to give him snuggles, listen to him chat, I try to get up for his bedtime and let Shaun take Michaela at that time, we all still take turns playing with him. We get him to play with Michaela, show her toys, give her cuddles and watch or help when changing or feeding her. I don't know what else to do (that's realistic) to help him. Does anyone have any advice??

September 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm so sorry it has been a tough transition for you and Daniel. :hugs:

My 4 year old is a bit jealous of all the attention A.J is getting, between the therapy he gets everyday and how we act with him. How we make her feel special is I take her out for a Mommy and Daughter ice cream date with just her and I.. This gives her something to look forward too and makes her feel special. Maybe having a Mommy and Daniel lunch or outing will make him feel good again.

September 6th, 2012, 04:02 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I'm sorry that Daniel is having a hard time. I don't have much advice but I just wanted to offer you some

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

September 7th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
I'm so sorry it has been a tough transition for you and Daniel. :hugs:

My 4 year old is a bit jealous of all the attention A.J is getting, between the therapy he gets everyday and how we act with him. How we make her feel special is I take her out for a Mommy and Daughter ice cream date with just her and I.. This gives her something to look forward too and makes her feel special. Maybe having a Mommy and Daniel lunch or outing will make him feel good again.
I completely agree, but this can't happen for at least another 4 weeks. I can't drive, and can't walk far - there is nothing that near us that I can get to right now. I've promised him this in the October holidays.

September 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Maybe you can have a special movie or Game night? Let him pick his favorite movies or games and fix him his favorite snacks.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

September 7th, 2012, 07:45 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
Its going to be okay. There is nothing you can do to change the facts. 1. He has a baby sister to share attention with, and 2. He started school. It's hard! Don't worry because in a couple of weeks it will be routine. You can only do what you are already doing. Play some extra board games with him, and make him feel special any way you can. Chances are it has more to do with school than anything else. This time of year is hard on ALL kids. I hope it gets better. Congrats on your little pixie!!

..... ..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search