organization help

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
adi&co.
My Jamesen has asperger's. He's also got some serious serious separation anxiety. He's 3. we've started therapies recently (OT, PT and Speech). He does not do well in any of them unless I'm there. He's so stuck on me and freaks whenever we pull up and get out of the car, just melts in my arms completely when I walk him in and I just... I'm overwhelmed.

I had someone suggest doing a calendar with pictures and velcro and whatnot but if I were completely honest, I have no idea where to begin. do any of you have calendars of your child's schedule to help them transition easier? I'm getting a bit desperate as he's about to be starting in an early intervention program and it would just break my heart completely if he cried the entire time I was gone. I've got his little sister so it's not like I can stay there and hold his hand the entire time. I almost don't even want to put him into the school program but next year he'll be in PreK and going longer hours and I'd rather ease him in then throw him in later, kwim?

anyways, so any other suggestions on how to help him transition and pics of your calendars if you have any! please and htank you!
September 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
We use a iPad app called Choice Works.. My 2 year old responds well to this app. It's great way for him to know what to expect.

I'm looking forward to getting the new iPhone so I don't have to carry the ipad around..

http://youtu.be/g0tZ-kNK4EM

Choiceworks App Tutorial - YouTube

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; September 6th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
September 7th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome to the board!

Daniel had a visual timetable at school when he was going through something similar. The speech and language therapist made it using clip art from the computer to represent different times of day such as different activities at school, lunch time, home time, etc. It wasn't effective once the novelty had wore off, and school re-made it using photographs of Daniel himself doing the different things. THAT worked for him. You may find this is the easiest way if you don't have a bank of pictures to use.

If a timetable mapping activities over hours and hours proves to be too overwhelming, you could also try a "now and next" board, which we had at home for a while, which broke things down into bite-size chunks but took more work to change it regularly enough. Daniel found this easier at home than a full day's worth of activities.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search