Hello

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Hi, my name is Arwen, and I have a daughter with autism and sensory issues. I think I posted here a few times before, but it was several years ago.

Alice Marie is 4 now. She is saying single words, and she does a lot of play speech. I am hoping she's like a lot of others at this age, and in just a short year will bust out with a complete sentence. She's in school, and she does fairly well. She's good around children, but has been known to sit on babies. She thinks their laps are as good as any I guess.

She's fixated on Spongebob and Sesame Street. She'll quote the shows, talk along with them, even mimic the dances as they're doing them. I'm not sure where she's at on the spectrum. Someone asked recently and I told them she's in the purple part. I really don't know what that means.

She's potty training right now, and I am proud to say she is completely potty trained when butt naked. So she stays naked at home a lot. Diapers are expensive, and she's about outgrown every size they have.

She gets it from my side of the family. I also have a sensory disorder and autism. I wasn't quite like Alice. I must have been in a different part of the spectrum. Green or something. But it's inherited on our parts. My dad has autism, and so does my brother. I have a few cousins with it. My dad is in the orange part. Face it, orange is a funky color. My baby brother is just criminal. We'll put him in pink. Moving on.

My baby seems to be typically developing. She has emotions, and she hits he milestones in a nice average way. Very different than Alice. People tell me not to compare, but they've never been to Autism Land.

Nice to meet y'all!
September 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Hi Arwen! Nice to see you here! You know me from way back on Arts & Crafts and Love & Sex.

I've never heard before of colours on the autism spectrum and after a quick Google can't find any information readily about it, so am not sure what that means either. It's never even been mentioned in terms of my son - I've just been told he has high-functioning autism.

You and your family are most welcome to join us - look forward to posting with you here xxx

September 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Hi! My name is Leslie. My son Ryan is 4, but will be 5 in less than 3 weeks. He has mild/moderate Autism and SPD. He repeats TV shows and dances along with them. He is in a PPCD at our local school.

Leslie

September 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
Hi Arwen! Nice to see you here! You know me from way back on Arts & Crafts and Love & Sex.

I've never heard before of colours on the autism spectrum and after a quick Google can't find any information readily about it, so am not sure what that means either. It's never even been mentioned in terms of my son - I've just been told he has high-functioning autism.

You and your family are most welcome to join us - look forward to posting with you here xxx
People just say "Autism Spectrum" so much. No one has ever bothered to explain it. Spectrum to me has something to do with colors so when people ask, I rattle off a color looking dead serious. They probably go on to look ignorant later and then tell people about that crazy woman in the store who said her kid was yellow-orange.

I miss the love and sex board. There used to be a too hot to handle section or something like that. Loved that section. Last time I looked it was gone. Arts and crafts boards are a ghost town. lol I post every now and then, but I get next to no replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRW View Post
Hi! My name is Leslie. My son Ryan is 4, but will be 5 in less than 3 weeks. He has mild/moderate Autism and SPD. He repeats TV shows and dances along with them. He is in a PPCD at our local school.

Leslie
Sounds like a male version of Alice. lol I know I shouldn't let Alice watch so much, but it is seriously the only time I hear sentences. She calls our fish "Dorothy."

Last edited by Spyctre; September 11th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
September 12th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Yeah I migrated away from Love & Sex because I just wasn't up for sex from early in my pregnancy and I felt like I had nothing to say. I think there have been issues with it not keeping a host since so it probably is ultra quiet. Same with Arts & Crafts. Shame, but I've run out of inspiration for hosting those boards.

September 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I left those because I was pregnant, too. =) I just get so sick. Looking at the computer made me sick! lol
September 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post

Sounds like a male version of Alice. lol I know I shouldn't let Alice watch so much, but it is seriously the only time I hear sentences. She calls our fish "Dorothy."
Ryan has said more words since starting school than he did in the first 4 years of his life. Ryan likes Wiggles, Sesame Street, Sprout channel, and Disney Junior channel.

Leslie

September 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRW View Post
Ryan has said more words since starting school than he did in the first 4 years of his life. Ryan likes Wiggles, Sesame Street, Sprout channel, and Disney Junior channel.

Leslie
We are stuck with Sesame Street and Spongebob. I am so tired of Elmo and Spongebob!!!
September 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Ryan doesn't seem to like Spongebob. I get tired of Elmo!

Leslie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search