Pretty sure it is genetic.

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
This might be kind of boring to some, but I found a talk with my aunt a few days ago fascinating. So I had a long talk with said aunt during Thanksgiving. She updated me on some of my cousins, my grandmother... Told me some stuff about our family history. I tried to make a graph on my computer, but got lazy. Anyway, here is Autism in the Bush Family.

NEUROTYPICAL AUTISM

First the grandparents:

Grandma Bush & Grandpa Bush
They had 4 children.

Aunt Kathlene, Aunt Irene, Jerome/Dad, Aunt Darlene.

Aunt Kat had 4 children. All Neurotypical. She has countless grandchildren because they breed like rabbits. Out of her grandchildren, 1 is diagnosed with Autism, CJ.

Aunt Rene had 3 children. All Neurotypical. She has 6 grandchildren. 1 with Autism, Austin.

Dad had 3 children. One, his first, is Neurotypical. I have tendencies, and my little brother is Autistic. He has 5 grandchildren. 1 has Autism.

Aunt Darlene has 1 child. Chet has Autism. Guess she wasn't risking another after Chet! lol He's married with an awesome job, and he won't be having kids. He said he's too childlike himself, and he's right.

I recently read an article showing a connection between the father's age and Autistic children. So it might be genetic, but the age of the father can make it appear more often regardless of the mother's age. Grandpa Bush was already OLD when he married my 15 yr old grandmother, and the older he got, the more Autistic his children were. My dad started out with normal children, and the older he got, the more Autistic we were. I need to pop out my last child ASAP!

Anyway, I thought all of this was pretty nifty, and it seems to give that most recent study a little credence. I've prayed some about another, and I have a really good feeling about the entire thing. I don't know if I will ever have another child, but I am not worried in the least about it happening.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
November 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Ryan is the only person in our family with Autism as a diagnosis on either side of our families. David was 32yo when Ryan was born. I was 35yo. David was 35yo when Liam was born and I was 38yo. Liam is NT.

Leslie

November 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We only have two in our family officially diagnosed, but we have so many teachers that they can all point out the rest of us. I pointed out Alice when she was one month old. I looked at a picture of her sleeping, and told my husband how much I hated the picture. "She looks just like that kid I used to take care of! She looks Autistic. Good thing our baby is normal!" lol I was relieved when Winter was born. She just looked like a potato.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
November 30th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I think it's genetic too.

Unfortunately I don't know much about my family history since my dad was adopted in Germany and same goes with my mom since she is from the Philippines. We always tease my father that he has ADD. My brother has some major issues, so it doesn't surprise me that my son has Autistic Disorder. I even think I have ADD to a point. Just on how I work, I'm so rigid and it's hard for me to get use to something new.

My dad was in his 20's when my brother was born. My husband was in his late 20's when A.J was born. I personally don't think age causes autism, just genetics.

December 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure it is with my family too. Marcus is an aspie. And is so much like me it's scary. I see it in my sister too. Not diagnosed in us.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
That's very interesting and thanks for taking time to share it.

This doesn't solve the mystery for us. There's no evidence of autism in our family at all and Daniel's dad insists there isn't in his either.

Chris and I were both in our 30s when we had Daniel. I know plenty of people who became parents at that age with no autism.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search