Looking for support

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hi. My name is Ash. I am 22. My son Owen is turning 3 on January 28th.

We have been struggling with Owen's behavviour and development for almost a year and a half.
We have seen numerous doctors. Had tons of appointments and we are finally making some progress.

He is booked for his developmental assessment on jan 4 and we get the diagnosis on jan 8.
THANK GOODNESS!!!!!! I have been so depressed and stressed not knowing why my baby acts how he does and not knowing how to handle him.

He also has blood work testing for chromosome imbalance and an EEG booked this month.

Here are the symptoms/characteristics he shows:

Delayed speech and communication skills
Awkward gait (very clumsy/off balance)
Attention span issues - can't focus
Barely responds to his name being called
Screams at the top off his lungs typically for no reason
Rocks his highchair to the point of tipping
Bangs his head, self pinches
Bites himself, puts hands in throat to point of gagging
Licks things
Purposely runs into walls
Rubs face on carpet while crawling
Picky about textured food ( will not eat eggs , red meat, jello, etc )
Trouble potty training
Extremely aggressive ( will punch pinch smack bite other people)
Echoes speech
Sleep issues ( will not fall asleep easily or calm down .. wakes up during the night )
Obsessive over certain objects and people
Seperation Anxiety ( really bad)
Has previoudly tasted own feces and urine ( EWWWWWW)
Throws things
Tantrums are crazy and last hours it seems like
Spins wheels on cars , toys
Spins self in circles , twirls, jumps, runs
Walks into walls from not looking what hes doing
Points to things , Ask question before saying object ( What's that? It apple ... )
Extremely affectionate and imaginative

The list could gone on forever it seems

Currently in speech therapy.
Waiting for diagnosis to start occupational and behavioural therapy.

At my wits end dealing with all of this. So hard to explain to people why my child acts how he does without the actual medical answer. Just need comfort in knowing other people are struggling too.

Any thoughts????
December 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My autistic daughter does a lot of those. I'm just going to copy/paste your list cause she matches a lot!

She has the delayed speech. She was talking, but regressed. Some autistic children do regress, others don't. She also has an awkward gait, but we know this is from sway back. She got that bit from my husband.

I would say attention span, and her teachers definitely mention it, but she's four. What four yr old doesn't?

She doesn't respond much to her name, she is always having fun in Autism Land. She has also started screaming for no reason. I don't know what's up with that.

She will rock our recliners till they tip. She has no fear, has never had any fear. She does a lot of stemming, self stimulation. She will rock, twirl, wrist flap, chew on EVERYTHING...

And she is a picky eater. I hear a lot don't like meat. We can hide hers in sauce, and sometimes she will randomly eat a ham sandwich. I think she might just be good at manipulating to some extent.

Ugh...potty training! She'll be 5 in January, and she has the largest size diapers! I don't know where to find bigger ones!!!

She mimics people instead of initiates conversations. She has a strange voice when she does talk, and I think Sesame Street is to blame. She loves that show, and she sounds like Elmo.

Her sleep issues have improved drastically since she started school. She falls asleep quite easily when you drag her out of bed at 6 in the morning.

Obsessive over ELMO. And Abby and Cookie and Burt and Ernie and Tullie... See a pattern? lol She will open up a can of crazy if you take away one of her Sesame Street toys!

Separation Anxiety improved drastically after school started.

Has previoudly tasted own feces and urine ( EWWWWWW)...Luckily, she seems to have outgrown this around 3.

She will throw things to see them fall. She particularly likes paper and feathers cause they fall slower.

"Tantrums are crazy." She has cans of crazy she will open up for little things. If she has to take one step to the right, if she has to wait 2 seconds for a drink...

She has no cars, but did use to spin the wheels on a wooden truck(it broke) just to watch them go round.

Spins self in circles , twirls, jumps, runs<-----Stemming. Alice is an expert. My mostly ADHD/slightly Autistic brother was, too.

Alice does walk into walls from time to time, but so do I. I am mixed dominant, and in makes me clumsy. I think she's left hand and right foot dominant.

Points to things , Ask question before saying object ( What's that? It apple ... )<--- This is pretty awesome. Alice points and grunts.

Alice is not imaginative that we have noticed, but she is a cuddle monster. However, her cuddling is very self serving. She does it for stimulation. She likes her entire body scratched. She also started dry humping every pillow in the house. Our room is now locked!

I hope this helps some. I couldn't tell you if your child had Autism or not, but all of those symptoms really fit my Autistic child. My sister has told me I often act like an alcoholic, but they are my tendencies. I've never been drunk or high in my life save when I was in the hospital doped up with morphine from surgery. I think a lot of these mental conditions can resemble each other. ADHD sometimes sounds like Autism to me as well.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
December 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks. I mean we are getting the diagnosis a month from tomorrow which is exciting. The past year or two has just been overwhelming. i dont have anyone i can relate to as far as kids go si I reached out here.

It is debatable what he has. We hear ASD is a possibility and others say no way.
Im just so impatient I want it to be January.

We also hear that "" he is just two not even three he is normal"" but if you spend a few hours with him you will notice that he is not just being a terrible two but that he has some odd quirks, mannerisms and behaviours.

I cant wait for the answer so we can really get helpl dealing with him day to day
December 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I used to work in a day care, but I didn't really think Alice was odd till she was near 3. I have tendencies, and I guess she shares my quirks because most of the things she did were so natural to me. My husband would have no clue what she was doing or wanted, and it was like I was just in sync with her. I'd know exactly everything she wanted with slight looks or gestures.

My normal child is the weird one. Now when my husband asks what's wrong, I normally reply, "F*ck if I know. Let me stick a boob in her." Alice was so much easier, but I would want a child ten times worse that grows up typical. lol

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
December 13th, 2012, 06:47 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Have you looked into Sensory Processing Disorder? Kids who lack communication, find other ways to get their needs met. I will type more later when I don't have a sleeping 2yo in my lap.

Leslie

December 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Leslie, I have been doing research into that. I am just trying not to make too many assumptions because we will have our answer Jan 8.

He fits the behaviours of lots of things including SPD. I have discussed it with his speech therapist as well. Mostly everyone is just waiting for Jan.

They actually got him moved to jan for his developmental assessment instead of may because of the severity of his delays and behaviours.

I appreciate the responses
January 8th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello.

I'm Melissa and one year ago I was in your shoes. My 3 year old son has Autistic Disorder. There are hard days and then there are good days.

January 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
What did the doctors say?

Leslie

January 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Well we finished the play assessment and OT assessment. There was more to look at than originally anticipated. I go back without Owen on Jan 22 to get the reports and explanations. All we got so far is that they agree he has a sensory issue as one of his biggest issues. So we are going to expand on that on the 22nd.

So I have to wait patiently for ALL the details. lol go figure!!

January 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It does seem to take a long time to get a diagnosis, and the waiting is hard, especially as some support services rely on the diagnosis as well. I think a lot of diagnosing developmental delays is "best fit" and needs a number of professionals to agree so it can take some time.

My son was referred at the age of 2 and finally got a diagnosis of high-functioning ASD at the age of 4. Children are all so unique there are different personality traits even between children who have the same diagnosis. I hope that you get some answers and it leads to more help on Jan 22nd!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search