Log In Sign Up

I am new here in need of support


Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By TreeTog
  • 2 Post By Ash22
  • 2 Post By smsturner
  • 2 Post By Spyctre
  • 2 Post By TreeTog
  • 2 Post By Ash22
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
December 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Hello everyone. I am new here and I am just looking for a place where I can connect with others who are going through similar things with their children that I am. Well, my name is Pamela and I have a daughter named Chloe is 3 and a half years old. I took her to get evaluated because of some small concerns.. I took her out of her daycare to save some money while my boyfriend isn't working (his job is seasonal) and I am on the medical card and so finances are clearly not well right now.. the therapist did not finish the whole evaluation and gave me some things to fill out and some books and told me to come back to finish (because it's a lot of things and Chloe was interested in the toys by the time those came out and didn't want to take the exam).. it turns out the therapist suspects that Chloe is on the mild spectrum of Autism. I do not know where to even begin to help her as I know nothing about this! I have been researching it nonstop since the therapist suggested this.. and I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight like where I could go from here to ensure she receives what she needs and can migrate into "normal" school and thrive in life. Like I said, I am of course pregnant and on the medical card and so is Chloe because insurance was not offered at my company until just now and I got the medical card when I found out I was pregnant and finances are tight.. I need some guidance here I want Chloe to get through this, get the therapies she would need (which I don't know what they would be) and get back into school and be able to go to regular school and function and live normally as an adult (what every parent would pray for). I am so lost because Autism is not in my family or in my boyfriend's family at all that I know of and none of my 6 nieces and nephews have it.. the only thing my mom informed me of is my sister had ADHD and needed speech therapy when she was Chloe's age and I know my boyfriend and his sister had ADHD but that's literally all I know of so this makes absolutely no sense to me... Chloe has not been diagnosed and I don't know if I even want her diagnosed but I want what's best for her... but the therapist suspects autism and if so then mild and that with intense therapy she sees Chloe is coming through it.. Chloe talks, she points and says what things are, she communicates, is affectionate and loving, listens to direction and does what I tell her to (most of the time, like if I tell her go get an outfit so we can go bye bye she will go and get pants, a shirt, socks, and shoes and bring them to me to put on her), is social, knows her colors, numbers, letters, has a very large vocabulary and will point to things and name them, etc...the things that caused me to take her to get evaluated were things like having tantrums here and there (although everyone even doctors told me this was an age-related thing), sometimes she answers questions normally and sometimes she uses echolalia so it's like different so I had not a clue if she was just learning or not?, and is VERY precise like she will pile toys or put them in order, and she does not play with toys like I see other kids. So those things caused me to take her in. I know every child is different but I know she must be on the spectrum especially if the therapist says it.. it just confuses me because of the fact its not in our families and several doctors have said nooo don't worry she will grow out of this it's her age blah blah blah late bloomer.. but no I know I need to act as soon as I can.. the trouble is I just learned this information on December 18 and she is 3.5 years old, will be 4 April 30... so what can I do now? especially on a medical card nonetheless.. I would not be able to switch insurance and still get prenatal care right now of course since they would see my pregnancy as pre-existing... so it looks like I'd need to wait until the baby is born to switch and I don't know what I can do. I feel I caught it late and that makes me really sad I am also worried about the baby in my belly having this if Chloe is dealing with this. However, Chloe is the biggest joy to me and I would never trade her for anyone or anything in life I love that little girl more than anything! Sorry this is so long and I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and respond! My main question is, could you give me some advice on things I can do with her/exercises I can do with her until I can get her the therapies she needs? any recommendations? take your time answering I know this is a LOT. Thank you so much. I just feel like an emotional mess.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
December 29th, 2012, 06:09 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Porte, TX
Posts: 2,315
Deep breaths!

Autism is not something you just get through. You learn to live and cope with it.

My son is 5yo and has Autism and SPD. He is mild/moderate. Ryan is verbal and just learned his name 8 months ago. Ryan knows his ABCs, he can count past 40, he can count to 10 in Spanish, he can sign the alphabet, he knows his colors and shapes and can read some sight words. We are working on his writing. Ryan goes to a preschool program for children with disabilities in our local school district.

Can you get your daughter evaluated through the school?

Ryan can not tell me how old he is or get his own clothes. He is not potty trained. He repeats a lot. He flaps and runs from room to room.

Ryan was RX in January at 4yo. I have known there was issues since he was born, but was told he was just a boy and a late bloomer.

I also have a 2yo son who is NT. There is no Autism in either sides of our family.

Call insurance and ask about your coverage for therapy. Check into schools for help. Where do you live?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 49
Im not quite sure how much help I could be. My son is actually getting RX on Friday!! Well the test is friday the 4th and we get the official RX on the 8th. He will be 3 on the 28th. We started the process when he was 1.5 yrs old.

We suspect autism ( mild spectrum perhaps) and maybe SPD.

I live in Toronto, ON. So we are basically covered for all of our testing. We just have to wait on a list for what feels like forever.

The states is way different Im sure.

I offer my support anyways. I agree though. You dont get through these things.

You grow as a family and learn to cope with what you are giving. It isn't a negative thing. We love our kids and we do the best we can to provide for them.
It will be okay.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 2nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,730
Hi there.
My son Marcus is 11 and he has aspergers, which is mild austism, but on the spectrum. Alot of what your daughter does sounds like my son. Marcus does alot of the same things as others, but he is a few years behind emotionally and maturity wise. He does not do well socially, as is the norm with spectrum people. He also has sensory issues, and does badly with loud sounds, and is horribly picky with food. And the frustration, then anger he has can be something of a handful. The sleeplessness is very hard to deal with at my house.

The very first thing I have to say is: DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!! You did not 'miss anything' or 'wait too long'! Mild spectrum disorders are commonly never diagnosed, some very late. My son was 9 because they had mis-labeled him with ADHD at 5. Mild spectrum disorders, esp aspergers are commonly misdiagnosed this way (which makes me wonder about the other kids in the family). You have gotten in on it early, and can be better prepared. Also, I know the mom guilt thing, so please remember you did not do this, it is not your fault.

It CAN run in families, but it doesn't always. Chances are normally about 1 in 150 of having a child on the spectrum, and if you already have one child with asd, the chances of the next child having it are about 1 in 50. Those are still pretty good odds for your next baby. Please, please still immunize your children, that is a huge myth and a harmful one.

For most mild spectrum children, they are still sent to 'normal' school, and can do absolutely fine. Marcus is on medication to help with some of the symptoms, and to help him be able to think, but is in a traditional classroom, but has an IEP and gets some special education help. It takes ALOT of work to kim organized and on task, and homework makes me cry sometimes! BUT, it is all manageable, and I still wouldn't trade him for anything!

Please, please calm down and not be so hard on yourself. I know what a shock the diagnosis can be, but try to do some research and talk to some other parents. You will find that things WILL be ok, and your daughter can grow up and do many things, and be a wonderful person.

It sounds like our children are pretty similar, so if you have any specific questions ever, please fire away!
__________________
Susan, dh Tom, dd Megan (14), ds Marcus (12), Our new baby Dean





I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
Reply With Quote
  #5  
January 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Freaking Louisiana
Posts: 7,427
It'll be alright. =) This isn't the end of the world. I do echo one of the previous comments, it's not something to get through. You will learn to live with this. I have mild autism or some autistic tendencies. It's mostly social and sensory issues for me. It gets better the older you get. It was almost overnight in my mid 20's when some things just clicked for me, I had no more issues with them.

My daughter has moderate autism, a SPD. She says words, but not with any communicative intent. Her 10 month old neurotypical sister has a better grasp on how to play with toys than she does. She's potty trained when naked, but not when anything is on her. So she is naked here a lot. She goes to a special class in a normal school. I don't expect her to ever be able to live on her own, but your child sounds to me like she'd be able to one day.

My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was little, and it wasn't until decades later that we discovered it was autism. He fit the patterns. Just a PERFECT baby, and around 1 he CHANGED. He was a very caring child, but if you are around him for any amount of time now, you realize that he has some quirks/tendencies. Most of the autism in my family is undiagnosed. They are just quirky and socially stupid. If you're around them things become clear.

It'll be alright. In my opinion, if your child communicates, if she can follow directions, she has a pretty good chance in life. I don't ever expect Alice to live alone. I am predicting that I will warn her helpers we will be checking for bruises and hymens and her weight every night for the rest of her life.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRW View Post
Deep breaths!

Autism is not something you just get through. You learn to live and cope with it.

My son is 5yo and has Autism and SPD. He is mild/moderate. Ryan is verbal and just learned his name 8 months ago. Ryan knows his ABCs, he can count past 40, he can count to 10 in Spanish, he can sign the alphabet, he knows his colors and shapes and can read some sight words. We are working on his writing. Ryan goes to a preschool program for children with disabilities in our local school district.

Can you get your daughter evaluated through the school?

Ryan can not tell me how old he is or get his own clothes. He is not potty trained. He repeats a lot. He flaps and runs from room to room.

Ryan was RX in January at 4yo. I have known there was issues since he was born, but was told he was just a boy and a late bloomer.

I also have a 2yo son who is NT. There is no Autism in either sides of our family.

Call insurance and ask about your coverage for therapy. Check into schools for help. Where do you live?
I live in Lexington, Ky and unfortunately no one here seems to accept the medical card for the therapies that my daughter will most likely need. I am having her evaluation finished on February 5 and then if there is a diagnosis it will be made and recommendations will be made.. I'm talking with my boyfriend's mom about somehow getting her on better insurance to get the help she needs and I pray everything will work out and that everything will be ok. I just need answers and I will feel much better when my daughter gets the therapies she needs. I am also going to get her back into her learning center daycare (I took her out to save some money until I thought she'd just start school as she is already 3 1/2....) The stress and emotions have just been intense and not to mention I am 16 weeks pregnant right now, so there's the worry this baby will also have it if my daughter does and I don't wanna think like that.. my daughter is the best thing that's ever happened to me I love her more than anything and would not trade her for the world I thank you so much for your support and your response <3

p.s. My daughter isn't potty trained yet either and I am so concerned! I want her to be hopefully potty trained by the time the baby comes but we will see... *fingers crossed* does anyone work with your son on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash22 View Post
Im not quite sure how much help I could be. My son is actually getting RX on Friday!! Well the test is friday the 4th and we get the official RX on the 8th. He will be 3 on the 28th. We started the process when he was 1.5 yrs old.

We suspect autism ( mild spectrum perhaps) and maybe SPD.

I live in Toronto, ON. So we are basically covered for all of our testing. We just have to wait on a list for what feels like forever.

The states is way different Im sure.

I offer my support anyways. I agree though. You dont get through these things.

You grow as a family and learn to cope with what you are giving. It isn't a negative thing. We love our kids and we do the best we can to provide for them.
It will be okay.
hey, thank you so much for your kind response! I was wondering how your son's test went today? Anymore answers? It sounds like you guys have a great system there and you're so lucky everything is covered! I hope everything went well today! We can grow from this and be there for each other, all of us. It's about our children and we need to fight for them. You're a great mom for that!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsturner View Post
Hi there.
My son Marcus is 11 and he has aspergers, which is mild austism, but on the spectrum. Alot of what your daughter does sounds like my son. Marcus does alot of the same things as others, but he is a few years behind emotionally and maturity wise. He does not do well socially, as is the norm with spectrum people. He also has sensory issues, and does badly with loud sounds, and is horribly picky with food. And the frustration, then anger he has can be something of a handful. The sleeplessness is very hard to deal with at my house.

The very first thing I have to say is: DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!! You did not 'miss anything' or 'wait too long'! Mild spectrum disorders are commonly never diagnosed, some very late. My son was 9 because they had mis-labeled him with ADHD at 5. Mild spectrum disorders, esp aspergers are commonly misdiagnosed this way (which makes me wonder about the other kids in the family). You have gotten in on it early, and can be better prepared. Also, I know the mom guilt thing, so please remember you did not do this, it is not your fault.

It CAN run in families, but it doesn't always. Chances are normally about 1 in 150 of having a child on the spectrum, and if you already have one child with asd, the chances of the next child having it are about 1 in 50. Those are still pretty good odds for your next baby. Please, please still immunize your children, that is a huge myth and a harmful one.

For most mild spectrum children, they are still sent to 'normal' school, and can do absolutely fine. Marcus is on medication to help with some of the symptoms, and to help him be able to think, but is in a traditional classroom, but has an IEP and gets some special education help. It takes ALOT of work to kim organized and on task, and homework makes me cry sometimes! BUT, it is all manageable, and I still wouldn't trade him for anything!

Please, please calm down and not be so hard on yourself. I know what a shock the diagnosis can be, but try to do some research and talk to some other parents. You will find that things WILL be ok, and your daughter can grow up and do many things, and be a wonderful person.

It sounds like our children are pretty similar, so if you have any specific questions ever, please fire away!
Thank you so much for your response/insight. It means so much to me! I do have a question. How was your child's language when they were younger and when did your child start having actual back and forth understandable conversations with each other? My daughter is verbal and communicates what she wants to, her wants needs likes dislikes greets me asks how I am, etc. like gets her points across but as far as having conversations with me? not so much in the way that it would be back and forth ya know? I thought at 3 and a half years old she should be doing this? But this is my first child so I am unsure?? I just thought this is the case. Any insight? I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
It'll be alright. =) This isn't the end of the world. I do echo one of the previous comments, it's not something to get through. You will learn to live with this. I have mild autism or some autistic tendencies. It's mostly social and sensory issues for me. It gets better the older you get. It was almost overnight in my mid 20's when some things just clicked for me, I had no more issues with them.

My daughter has moderate autism, a SPD. She says words, but not with any communicative intent. Her 10 month old neurotypical sister has a better grasp on how to play with toys than she does. She's potty trained when naked, but not when anything is on her. So she is naked here a lot. She goes to a special class in a normal school. I don't expect her to ever be able to live on her own, but your child sounds to me like she'd be able to one day.

My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was little, and it wasn't until decades later that we discovered it was autism. He fit the patterns. Just a PERFECT baby, and around 1 he CHANGED. He was a very caring child, but if you are around him for any amount of time now, you realize that he has some quirks/tendencies. Most of the autism in my family is undiagnosed. They are just quirky and socially stupid. If you're around them things become clear.

It'll be alright. In my opinion, if your child communicates, if she can follow directions, she has a pretty good chance in life. I don't ever expect Alice to live alone. I am predicting that I will warn her helpers we will be checking for bruises and hymens and her weight every night for the rest of her life.
wow, thank you so much for your insight. You are such a kind and strong person and I am just amazed with how far you've come and how great of a mother you are and how you are being so strong for your daughter, Alice. I applaud you so much. You're a wonderful inspiration <3 I am always here to talk!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsturner View Post
Hi there.
My son Marcus is 11 and he has aspergers, which is mild austism, but on the spectrum. Alot of what your daughter does sounds like my son. Marcus does alot of the same things as others, but he is a few years behind emotionally and maturity wise. He does not do well socially, as is the norm with spectrum people. He also has sensory issues, and does badly with loud sounds, and is horribly picky with food. And the frustration, then anger he has can be something of a handful. The sleeplessness is very hard to deal with at my house.

The very first thing I have to say is: DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!! You did not 'miss anything' or 'wait too long'! Mild spectrum disorders are commonly never diagnosed, some very late. My son was 9 because they had mis-labeled him with ADHD at 5. Mild spectrum disorders, esp aspergers are commonly misdiagnosed this way (which makes me wonder about the other kids in the family). You have gotten in on it early, and can be better prepared. Also, I know the mom guilt thing, so please remember you did not do this, it is not your fault.

It CAN run in families, but it doesn't always. Chances are normally about 1 in 150 of having a child on the spectrum, and if you already have one child with asd, the chances of the next child having it are about 1 in 50. Those are still pretty good odds for your next baby. Please, please still immunize your children, that is a huge myth and a harmful one.

For most mild spectrum children, they are still sent to 'normal' school, and can do absolutely fine. Marcus is on medication to help with some of the symptoms, and to help him be able to think, but is in a traditional classroom, but has an IEP and gets some special education help. It takes ALOT of work to kim organized and on task, and homework makes me cry sometimes! BUT, it is all manageable, and I still wouldn't trade him for anything!

Please, please calm down and not be so hard on yourself. I know what a shock the diagnosis can be, but try to do some research and talk to some other parents. You will find that things WILL be ok, and your daughter can grow up and do many things, and be a wonderful person.

It sounds like our children are pretty similar, so if you have any specific questions ever, please fire away!
Thank you so much for your response! I love how strong you are for your son and how much work you put into helping him. I am gaining so much inspiration here! I do actually have a question. How old was your son when he was able to have full on back and forth conversations with you that you and him both followed and were on the same page with? I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote
  #10  
January 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Porte, TX
Posts: 2,315
Check this link out - Pre-K Special Education Programs in Lexington, Kentucky | eHow.com
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #11  
January 5th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 49
It went okay. Though apparently its a lot more than I was anticipating. We have to go back for another assessment, an OT assessment and then maybe more thing until the RX. SO I am still waiting longer. UGHHHH lol. Mostly we talked about SPD. Seems our concerns are justified. They gave me the SPM - preschool form to do. I bring it back tues. I took a peek inside. I filled it out on a separate sheet of paper and looked it up online. If I did it correctly, he scored a raw TOT of 148. SO apparently his total thing ( and all categories) he scored in the 99th percentile. I knew he had a lot of issues but I wasnt expecting it to be so severe. Still waiting to here what else is going on other than SPD. It just keeps getting dragged out. But I prefer appointments to sitting at home. Feels like we are starting to get things accomplished.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
January 7th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash22 View Post
It went okay. Though apparently its a lot more than I was anticipating. We have to go back for another assessment, an OT assessment and then maybe more thing until the RX. SO I am still waiting longer. UGHHHH lol. Mostly we talked about SPD. Seems our concerns are justified. They gave me the SPM - preschool form to do. I bring it back tues. I took a peek inside. I filled it out on a separate sheet of paper and looked it up online. If I did it correctly, he scored a raw TOT of 148. SO apparently his total thing ( and all categories) he scored in the 99th percentile. I knew he had a lot of issues but I wasnt expecting it to be so severe. Still waiting to here what else is going on other than SPD. It just keeps getting dragged out. But I prefer appointments to sitting at home. Feels like we are starting to get things accomplished.
Hang in there girl! The good thing is that you are getting things accomplished and being the best mother you can possibly be! Seriously! You're doing everything you can and this is all you can do! As much as this is all new for us and we have a lot to learn and we are really worried/upset/full of questions we need to be strong for our babies and just show them our love <3 it's all easier said than done being that we are worried sick but it is what gets me through sometimes. My daughter's second half of her evaluation isn't until Feb. 5 and I am on pins and needles!! I wish you luck at your next appointment! Please let me know how it goes!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
January 8th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 49
Exactly!! I will post tonight when we get in. Gotta leave here about 11am then the appt from1pm-3pm. lol
TreeTog and pamela.burke611 like this.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #14  
January 9th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 66,539
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Sorry I was so long coming back to this after I said I would, I have had a frantic couple of months and have barely had time for the boards I still host!

The ladies here have given you some wonderful words of advice.

The system is quite different in the UK and thankfully we don't have to pay for Daniel's assessments and therapies. He was referred to a specialist paediatrician by his doctor and by his school. He has had some speech and language therapy and his school have worked closely with a special educational needs school, his speech therapist and the council inclusion team to come up with appropriate schemes of work, coping mechanisms and targets for him. He has a statement of special educational needs and 1:1 support throughout the school day. He is also included in the school's nurture group for children with social difficulties, so he gets extra input on friendships, turn-taking, communicating with others, managing emotions, etc. He does manage in mainstream school but would not without this level of support.

There are many ways we have learned by trial and error to support Daniel day to day. He has a lot of fears and anxieties. We have to accommodate his fears and then build him back up a little at a time. For example, he has a fear of talking toys and most TV shows with narrators. We have had to eliminate them from the house and are slowly building him back up by re-introducing one at a time. He is very rigid about his diet and we are having to re-introduce foods in the same sort of way. He gets very anxious with any sort of change, so we have to warn him at least 3 times about anything that is about to change or that is coming up outside his normal routine. We used to have "now and next" pictures for this, too.

We simply have to be prepared that he might have a tantrum or act out while we are out. This does get easier with time, I promise. I used to be very embarrassed when this happened. Mostly when he starts behaving that way it's because he's ill, tired or hungry and can't express it. Is it possible that when your daughter has a tantrum that it, too, is because something is distressing her that she can't express? With practice and patience, Daniel can now answer us if we go through a list trying to identify what is wrong. At the same time, we are strict with him and if he continues to tantrum after 3 talks/warnings we calmly escort him back to the car. Sometimes he screams, cries etc but I have learned to not give two hoots what other people think. They don't know him or me. If anybody comments I actually tell them he has autism spectrum disorder, they clearly do not know anybody who has autism spectrum disorder, and ought to be thankful for it.

I have no idea if Daniel will ever be able to live an independent life. I am more concerned that he has a happy life. I'll do what I can to support his dreams as any parent would. I 100% believe he can achieve them. He is one amazing little boy. But the best gift, I think, you can give a child with autism spectrum disorder, is perseverance. Don't give up. Fight for whatever support you can get for them. As to ways of dealing with the problems, it really is all trial and error and no two kids are the same, so it's a case of try, try and try again and you will slowly learn little things that will help your daughter.

Things do get easier with experience. You sound like an amazing mom who loves her daughter very much, and at the root of it, that is all she needs. For that reason I have 100% faith that everything will be ok in the end. (And to quote a favourite saying of mine, if it's not ok, it's not the end. )
pamela.burke611 likes this.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #15  
January 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
Sorry I was so long coming back to this after I said I would, I have had a frantic couple of months and have barely had time for the boards I still host!

The ladies here have given you some wonderful words of advice.

The system is quite different in the UK and thankfully we don't have to pay for Daniel's assessments and therapies. He was referred to a specialist paediatrician by his doctor and by his school. He has had some speech and language therapy and his school have worked closely with a special educational needs school, his speech therapist and the council inclusion team to come up with appropriate schemes of work, coping mechanisms and targets for him. He has a statement of special educational needs and 1:1 support throughout the school day. He is also included in the school's nurture group for children with social difficulties, so he gets extra input on friendships, turn-taking, communicating with others, managing emotions, etc. He does manage in mainstream school but would not without this level of support.

There are many ways we have learned by trial and error to support Daniel day to day. He has a lot of fears and anxieties. We have to accommodate his fears and then build him back up a little at a time. For example, he has a fear of talking toys and most TV shows with narrators. We have had to eliminate them from the house and are slowly building him back up by re-introducing one at a time. He is very rigid about his diet and we are having to re-introduce foods in the same sort of way. He gets very anxious with any sort of change, so we have to warn him at least 3 times about anything that is about to change or that is coming up outside his normal routine. We used to have "now and next" pictures for this, too.

We simply have to be prepared that he might have a tantrum or act out while we are out. This does get easier with time, I promise. I used to be very embarrassed when this happened. Mostly when he starts behaving that way it's because he's ill, tired or hungry and can't express it. Is it possible that when your daughter has a tantrum that it, too, is because something is distressing her that she can't express? With practice and patience, Daniel can now answer us if we go through a list trying to identify what is wrong. At the same time, we are strict with him and if he continues to tantrum after 3 talks/warnings we calmly escort him back to the car. Sometimes he screams, cries etc but I have learned to not give two hoots what other people think. They don't know him or me. If anybody comments I actually tell them he has autism spectrum disorder, they clearly do not know anybody who has autism spectrum disorder, and ought to be thankful for it.

I have no idea if Daniel will ever be able to live an independent life. I am more concerned that he has a happy life. I'll do what I can to support his dreams as any parent would. I 100% believe he can achieve them. He is one amazing little boy. But the best gift, I think, you can give a child with autism spectrum disorder, is perseverance. Don't give up. Fight for whatever support you can get for them. As to ways of dealing with the problems, it really is all trial and error and no two kids are the same, so it's a case of try, try and try again and you will slowly learn little things that will help your daughter.

Things do get easier with experience. You sound like an amazing mom who loves her daughter very much, and at the root of it, that is all she needs. For that reason I have 100% faith that everything will be ok in the end. (And to quote a favourite saying of mine, if it's not ok, it's not the end. )
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I am doing everything I can to help my daughter in the ways that I can and I pray to God that everything will be okay. I, too, just want my daughter to live a happy and fulfilling life and no matter what she IS my princess and always will be. I love her more than anything and wouldn't trade her for the world! She is my everything and soon she will have a baby brother or sister and I am hoping she will take well to that Thank you again!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0