issues with Aggression?? I am going nuts.

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hey. Looking for thoughts from the other mums. My son will be 3 in 11 days. He is going to be officially Dx this Tuesday. We know he is suffering from some level of SPD. Not sure if this is related or behavioural.

We go through phases with him. he is an angel. Then he is just violent. He punches, bites, slaps, throws toys. He is soooo aggressive. He causes pain and you can see it is intentional. We take him to his empty room and within seconds he forgets why he is there. he has no realization. No matter what you say or do he just does what he wants......

I am at my wits end.. Nothing is helping or working. You cannot just avoid your own child because you are upset and angry.

Please, if anyone has any ideas or thoughts.... I would appreciate it.

January 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time!

I really hope that your dr can help you and get some answers for you!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Well, in typical children, that's about the age where they start learning to control emotions. My daughter acted out a lot then, and now she will throw very short tantrums. Just a few jumps and whining. She's never tried to hurt people, but she has absolutely no empathy. She will forget as well. I put her in time out, and she comes out of her room 5 minutes later only to start doing exactly what she went in there for. I feel like she's just in her room for hours some days.

*hugs* It's hard sometimes! I hope your doctor has some good ideas, then you could tell them to me. I'm only told to redirect her or involve her in some kind of activity or craft. She has a very short attention span for anything save what she wants to get into!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
January 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks ladies. Ill let you know if the DRs have any good suggestions

January 18th, 2013, 05:17 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Keep a journal and see what might set him off. Remember to record sleep patterns, weather, time of day, and food intake.

Leslie

January 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
(Hugs)

It's hard. I've been there.

What has helped us is intensive behavior Intervention (IBI) using the Early Start Denver Model. We also follow the DAN! protocol. We have seen great improvement with his aggressiveness (started therapy at age 2) .

Good luck and hang in there.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks. We are waiting to start the IBI and ABA. In speech therapy. Still waiting for OT. =)

February 18th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I agree with Lesley. When Daniel has had aggression issues in the past there has always been a trigger: usually a change he has not been warned about - for example, moving from one activity to another but forgetting to warn him before the change occurs - or in school, moving from play time to lesson time or vice versa when no-one has given him a five-minute warning. OR having his personal space compromised, especially by other children. When I'm out and about with him if he gets like that I tend to circle my arms around him, bring him to the floor and hold tight until he calms down. Only when he calms down can I reason with him and work out what was wrong. At least in the meantime I keep him and others safe. He's 6 and it's getting harder to do that, so I hope and pray that his aggression gets better and better as his communication does before he gets too big to deal with it that way.

A psychological technique you can use just to keep your sanity really is to give him a mark out of 10 at the end of each day for his behaviour (not tell him, just for yourself). You will come to notice and celebrate the better days, and you may also notice that he scores higher or lower on certain days or when he has done certain things, which may help to work things out.

Big xxx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search