What can I expect

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By *Jennifer*
  • 4 Post By *Jennifer*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 09:09 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies. I will try to make this short. My son has a severe speech delay. He went for his hearing test, but it was just a bad time of day for him so he was uncooperative. They rescheduled for Feb 11th. I was under the impression that he would get his speech eval. done at the same time. I found out it was just a hearing test. Having a PPO, I decided why wait for hearing test results to get him evaluated for speech. I don't need his hearing checked to know he is delayed. I am still taking him to get his hearing checked to cover my bases though. Anyhow, I went to a good speech and language place right by my house and am just waiting for confirmation that insurance will cover it.

I also called his pediatrician for a recommondation on where to go to get his development checked. His fine and gross motor skills are great and socially is okay,but not outstanding. He gets excited when he sees his friends but doesn't play with other kids. In preschool, he is finally going to the other kids to see what they are doing and sitting with them at lunch. He goes from 9 - 12 two days a week.

What can I expect from a developmental evaluation? Is there anything I should take with me or prepare beforehand? What about the speech evaluation?

Thanks for helping me out. Hubby was dead set against him going to be evaluated, and was hoping preschool would help. He now admits that his son is behind and needs some extra help.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; January 31st, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
January 31st, 2013, 12:30 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Nothing really that I know of to bring. I just sat there and answered their questions while they interacted with Alice. They might put a thing in his ear to measure the eardrum's response. Might use something else. You just sit there and keep him calm. Answer questions.
January 31st, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have two speech delayed kids and I have never had to bring or prepare for anything for any of their evaluations. Just show up, answer questions, and let them do their thing

As far as the hearing test, it is an important part of a speech evaluation because if there is hearing loss, they can treat it and that will improve speech. Being unable to hear or hearing things muffled makes it hard to learn correct speech sounds! My little guy is three and could not pass a hearing test so he was sent to an ENT--his eardrums did not work properly because there was so much fluid buildup. It couldn't be seen by the regular ear exam the pedi does so without the failed hearing tests and referral to the ENT, we would not have known. The ENT used meds to dry out his ears and he had a small speech burst but as soon as he stopped the meds, his ears filled back up. He had a set of ear tubes put in back in November and he can finally pass a hearing test His speech is still delayed but he has more words and hears better and it is making it easier for his speech therapist to work with him
February 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks ladies. I am definitely still doing the hearing test. The place I am hoping to take him for speech is actually part of the same group that tests for hearing. I would wind up going to that place regardless of the test. I just thought I would get his appointment set for an evaluation. I already feel like I have waited too long to get him evaluated.

I did get a call back from his pediatrician. She sent a referral in to the regional center. They will call me within 3 working days to make an appointment.
Adriana's Mommy, Spyctre and Hazel like this.
February 8th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Where you able to get an appointment set up? I hope you don't have to wait too long!
February 12th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I am supposed to be called within 48 hours to answer questions and set up the appointment. I think they dragged their feet on calling me back until I got the hearing test done for him.
February 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I don't know how things work over there, I'm in the UK. Daniel's initial appointments with most of the services who have helped us mostly consisted of asking me questions and observing him playing.

Only the hearing and sight tests had specific activities they needed him to do. I sympathise with you over them picking a bad time of day. Daniel has to be in the right mood or he won't play, as well, and his fears sometimes make things difficult - refusing to wear headphones, for example.

I hope things go well and the tests and evaluations enable you to get some answers! KUP!

February 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
How did the hearing test go?

Leslie

February 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. His hearing is just fine, as I suspected. he has his speech eval at 9 am next Monday. That is the perfect day and time for him to be evaluated. I will need to miss work again, but I don't care. Let them write me up for missing too many days. My son and my family come 1st.
February 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm glad things are moving forward!
February 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Me too, and I agree with you! I had to go part-time when we were first getting Daniel diagnosed, he had so many appointments and was struggling with things at nursery...he really needed me.

March 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran
my daughter also gets really excited when she sees friends and talks to him like hi and runs around with them but does not really play with them, if that makes sense. She also had no problem sitting at tables and eating with them and even hugs and kisses kids goodbye.. I dunno... You are doing the right things by getting crossing all of your t's and dotting all of your i's! <3 let us know how it all goes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search