nervous for tomorrow

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jennifer*
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By pamela.burke611
  • 1 Post By pamela.burke611

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Super Mommy
This process has been extremely long and it's definitely been a rollercoaster. My daughter just started a co-treat of speech and occupational therapy once per week for one hour total.. I am really thankful for it. I just don't think it's enough. She also had her screening for early start on Jan. 31st and I have my meeting with the school system about that on March 4. I am really anxious for her to get into early start and look into getting her back into daycare as well. I am also about to send off paperwork for my daughter to be on a waitlist for a full testing at an evaluation center.

So far, my daughter has only had half of an evaluation on December 18. She recently was given a diagnoses of developmental delay by her pediatrician (with a side note of "worse in social and functional aspects" and recommended to put her back into daycare/school setting) Since the wait is so long for the evaluation center, my daughter's nana offered to pay for the second half of the evaluation for my daughter so we could get some solid answers. She informed me that the appointment is tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. and I have to be at work at 4 p.m. so nana is going to have to take her. I am a nervous wreck about it.

I keep hearing different things from different professionals recently (I have taken her to a few since December), including:

-my daughter is not autistic
-my daughter is simply delayed or simply "it's behavioral and she will grow out of it"
-my daughter is spoiled and stubborn because she certainly can do what she is asked to do she just won't do it until she wants to/it's her choice (I admit she is spoiled. I am trying to work on it...)
-my daughter is most likely on the spectrum and if so, she would be mild/high functioning
-I was told it could be a number of things from sensory to simply adhd, anxiety, etc.

My daughter's pediatrician told me that she had other children very similar to my daughter, including her own son, who she could bet are autistic and really thought so/went through all the steps, only to find that her son and those children she thought were autistic grew out of the behaviors/quirks so she stressed that my daughter could be on the spectrum but that she would really need the evaluations and time to see if she will grow out of the things concerning me.

Have you guys ever gotten different conflicting opinions like this? This is why I am so nervous for tomorrow.. because the first half of her eval. with this psychologist was only about 45 minutes.. I really need whoever is testing her to see her longer. I am so afraid of a misdiagnoses and the problem is that my daughter does this thing a lot where she is asked to do things at these doctor appointments/evaluations and she won't but then will do them in her own time, when she feels like it, or when she sees another kid doing it, or of course if there is a reward involved. I have been told she is very smart and she is. I just don't know what to make of any of this. Any advice or insight?
March 1st, 2013, 09:53 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS))) You daughter sounds similar to my son. I am in the process of getting him into a neurologist. I hope everything goes well for you.
pamela.burke611 likes this.
March 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I didn't get this conflict of information, they suspected autism from the outset with my son.

I'm sorry it's so stressful but I hope once they start investigating they will reach a concensus and be able to give you some real answers.
pamela.burke611 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
I have been told that my son had lazy first child white boy syndrome by a ped.
I was told that he has GERD and I need to let him get more hungry, so he will eat different foods.
I was told he was a late bloomer and nothing was wrong.

I put my foot down when Ryan was 4yo and got an Autism RX within 4 months of his 4th birthday.

Leslie

March 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRW View Post
I was told that he has GERD and I need to let him get more hungry, so he will eat different foods.

I put my foot down when Ryan was 4yo and got an Autism RX within 4 months of his 4th birthday.

Leslie

That statement by the ped is outrageous! Who says that?!
March 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRW View Post

Leslie
wow. I cannot believe you went through all of that. You're an amazing mama and thank goodness your son has you to fight for him because, honestly, you need that diagnoses to get him what he truly needs. <3
TreeTog likes this.
March 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting lots of conflicting opinions on my 3 year old--it is so frustrating :/ our current ped thinks he's on the spectrum but won't give a referral for evaluation because she wants to see if he will grow out of it. His preschool teacher (specializes in working with autistic kids) thinks if he is on the spectrum, he is likely to be very high functioning but thinks he is more likely OCD but we should get an eval to check for sure. Early on diagnosed him with delays in speech, cognitive, and social and thinks once his speech improves, the other things will as well. So at the moment, we are working on finding yet another pediatrician who will be willing and able to push for a proper evaluation so we can get a better idea of how to move forward with him.
March 6th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
I'm getting lots of conflicting opinions on my 3 year old--it is so frustrating :/ our current ped thinks he's on the spectrum but won't give a referral for evaluation because she wants to see if he will grow out of it. His preschool teacher (specializes in working with autistic kids) thinks if he is on the spectrum, he is likely to be very high functioning but thinks he is more likely OCD but we should get an eval to check for sure. Early on diagnosed him with delays in speech, cognitive, and social and thinks once his speech improves, the other things will as well. So at the moment, we are working on finding yet another pediatrician who will be willing and able to push for a proper evaluation so we can get a better idea of how to move forward with him.
That is so frustrating and I can totally relate. I am happy that you are going to find someone else and push for an eval. because if he is on the spectrum, the eval and diagnoses will make a world of difference in however you treat whatever is going on with him, if anything at all. It is so important to get correct answers to be able to move forward. It's hard but this is what needs to happen. It sounds like you are doing everything you can and I really hope that you get the evaluation you and your son deserve. Good luck! xx
*Jennifer* likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search