Need Opinions and Advice

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I am the mother of a 5 yr old boy Joseph. He has always been different and was late with everything developmentally. I was told he was still well within normal range just on the later side. He did not go to preschool because I couldn't get him potty trained in time. He was 4 1/2 before he was completely potty trained. Over the last year his behavior has been getting slowly worse and I kind of suspected he may have add. I used to say he has ants in his pants because he cant sit still for longer than a few seconds even when he is completely engrossed he is always moving something or wiggling around. I thought once he was at school that things would get better but after going to school for 3 days I had to pull him out. I felt I had no other choice and am now homeschooling. He is super smart and actually spells at way above grade level. In just about every subject he is at or above grade level, but he had a lot of trouble at school. This is what happened I would love any thoughts or advice. On the first second and third days of school he went to school with no problem no arguments crying screaming or anything. We had no idea there had been any problems until the third day. At 9 am an hour after being at school we found out my son had been sent to the principles office with a very long letter from the teacher describing his behavior, which stated he would not listen or follow directions, his continued disruption of class by wandering around the classroom and walking out of the room. So I spoke with the principle and we agreed that I should sit in the class for the day to observe the behavior problems and make a decision on what to do next. what I seen in that class was dumbfounding. I had never seen my son so...I don't even have a word lost? He seemed to be in his own world, I would sit him in his seat then he would just get up and walk to the chalk board or dry erase board to write (he loves spelling letters writing etc) or go to the books and just start pulling them off the shelf to find something he wanted to read. When somebody was talking he completely ignored them even me, I had to pick him up and take him back to his seat and hold him there. The teacher even got on her knees to talk to him and he would not look at anybody in the face. On the playground at recess he played by himself and when other kids tried to play with him he walked away from them. One boy was trying to talk to my son and got in his face because my son wouldn't look at him and my son shoved him away. Now some of these behaviors are things I had noticed at home but they were not as bad as they were at school. After school I talked to my husband about what I had seen and thought maybe he's add. The next day we pulled him from school after we were told there was no help or programs for kids in kindergarten and took him to the dr. I told the dr what had happened and he asked me some questions then he told me he is pretty sure it is not add or adhd and he deals with those often. He said he thought my son may have aspergers but he was not qualified to make that diagnosis. He referred me to Phoenix Childrens Hospital as we live in AZ but that is too far away and my husband wants us to wait. He doesn't want to believe there is anything wrong and thinks that within the next year my son will "grow out of it". I would love to take my son to someone for a second opinion and/or diagnosis but don't know what kind of dr I can take him to. Any responses would be very helpful.
August 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Does your school district offer Child Find? It is a school evaluation where they test speech, language, social cues, fine and major motor skills, hearing test, and an eye test. Does your school district have a Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities or PPCD? I could help you research this if I knew your school district.

This link might help. Towards the bottom is a lady and a number. You could call and ask her questions.

AZ FIND

Leslie

Last edited by TreeTog; August 25th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
September 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM
That sounds really hard! I'm sorry you had to go through that with the school- I really think they should have had more guidance and suggestions for you. Like some testing, a special education class, i don't know- anything at all would've been better than no input at all on how to help your son. I really don't think waiting a year will help; I think waiting is just going to take time away from time you could've been getting help for him. If it were me, I'd definitely contact the person that TreeTog listed for you. And since your little guy is school aged and you suspect Aspergers, I'd probably set up a trip to a psychiatrist. I believe they are qualified to make that diagnosis. I hope you find some answers soon! Let us know how it's going

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search